• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Anima Zero said:
Did a UV-fast for Grind2x in 7:23.

Any reason why it's a Boom demo?

Maybe Anima thought the lost-soul limit would make the map too easy. :)

The wad's txt doesn't make it utterly clear that it needs only limit-removal, so I can understand a little caution.

If I had actually spent maybe 5-10 minutes, I would have realized that I could have used -complevel 2 for the level :P.

Anyways, did another Grind2x demo. This time it's a UV-Max in 5:20. Much easier than the UV-fast by far.

Will be attaching it of course :P.

g2x-520.zip

After having played through ZAP18: Paradox Lost (what a fine map!) I looked around for tricks, and I soon found a now-"standard" 32-unit glide:

ZAP18 nomo/trick in 0:56.

I also thought I'd upload a 15 months old demo, HR2 map 32 nomo in 0:15, improving on that nomo I did for Anima's old HR2 nomo pack... Heh, it's been a while! ;-)

Kristian Ronge said:

ZAP18 nomo/trick in 0:56.

I couldn't resist a go on this one. It's frustrating though a great way to waste time: za18-049. Messy, but my first and last exit under a minute. I'll leave the Pacifist run to you!

This is a UV speed demo for the PC version of Betray, the bonus level in the Xbox port of Doom II (the one that comes with Doom 3: Collector's Edition.) Both this and its Ultimate Doom counterpart, Sewers, can be downloaded at ClassicDOOM.com here.

BETR-140 - Betray (BETRAY.WAD) by Michael Bukowski in 01:40 (UV speed)

Just a question for the demo collectors here. I have this vague idea that someone, possibly Never_Again, may have recorded a demopack for Wadpak2, although it's not on my HD and I don't see it at SDA. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I have a copy of Never_Again's demo set for wadpak2. Can email to you. My zip (461K) is dated Oct. 5, 2006. I am not sure where I got them but maybe in the misc. demos thread?

Edit:
Just did a quick search thru this thread and no mention of it appears other than here.

This was really no help either:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=213548&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Email?

I think he had a personal DOOM page, at least a simple one. It may have been hosted there.

Kristian Ronge said:
and recorded a couple of runs,

Incidentally, that reminded me of Adam Hegyi back when he would update COMPET-N. He'd often say "a couple" when referring to three or more ("a few").

Officially, the dictionary does consider the word "couple" to idiomatically refer to more than two, but not many of. The official definitions all relate to quantities of exactly two. Personally, by habit I often use a couple when I really mean a few.

From dictionary.com:

cou·ple /ˈkʌpəl/ noun, verb, -pled, -pling.
[...]
—Idiom
14. a couple of, more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: It will take a couple of days for the package to get there.

I use the expressions "a couple of" and "a few" interchangeably.

Yeah, the idiom exists by usage and extension, but in most cases it makes sense when the definite number of things isn't really known (because they are "around two things", "maybe two or three, I don't know"). But if you use it to introduce a list with a fixed number of things (of more than two), it sounds funny, as if you were an ESL Muslim with more than one wife.

Hah, anyway, I'll go watch the demos...

myk said:
But if you use it to introduce a list with a fixed number of things (of more than two), it sounds funny

Ah, but the number of demos I actually did record remains unknown... Notice I said "including" (I recorded others, but I doubt they would be of much interest).

Talk about off-topic discussion!

Hah, anyway, I'll go watch the demos...

Hope you like 'em.

Kristian Ronge said:

I played through Fava Beans

Enjoy.

I did.
well done. very close to optimal on both.

Wow! Thank you for the kind words! (although I wouldn't say any of those runs are close to optimal, at least 0:36 is possible for all of them)

Here's another miscellaneous demo. This time, it's a UV speed run of DM2GM2 by Eric Reuter that I recorded yesterday. If the level seems familiar to you when you watch this demo, you're completely right; this was the original version of MAP11: Halls of Insanity from Memento Mori. This version doesn't have the changes Denis Möller made to the level for cooperative gameplay (which rendered it impossible to get 100% Kills on that level,) and requires only one keycard to exit.

Believe it or not, it's harder to run than the Memento Mori version!

DGM2-024 - DM2GM2 (DM2GM2.WAD) by Eric Reuter in 00:24 (UV speed)

Love that map. Looking at the run now!

EDIT: Not bad. I think you could save time by not killing the last 2 shotgunners (and just hope they don't hit you, or only hit you once, while you kill the Hell Knight). Worth a try (or a couple of dozen!), IMHO.

Kristian Ronge said:

EDIT: Not bad. I think you could save time by not killing the last 2 shotgunners (and just hope they don't hit you, or only hit you once, while you kill the Hell Knight). Worth a try (or a couple of dozen!), IMHO.

I had a little trouble with that when I tried it that day. I succeeded once in an unrecorded practice run, but most of the time, I'd get killed before I could take out the Hell Knight, or I'd defeat the Hell Knight, but then get killed by the sergeants just as I enter the exit tunnel. Agh.

In the meanwhile, since I didn't see any demos on the Doomed Speed Demos Archive for it, here are four runs for none other than Batman DOOM. For a change, these were recorded with Boom 2.02, so you'll need to use that, or run PRBoom with -complevel 9. Oh, and of course, you'll need BATMAN.DEH, too.

BMDM-TGH - Batman DOOM (BATMAN.WAD) UV speed demos, including:

• BM30-013 - MAP30 in 0:13
  • BM31-019 - MAP31 in 0:19 (normal exit)
  • BM31s047 - MAP31 in 0:47 (secret exit)
  • BM32-100 - MAP32 in 1:00

Nice to see some Batman demos!

The Green Herring said:
For a change, these were recorded with Boom 2.02, so you'll need to use that, or run PRBoom with -complevel 9.

-complevel 9 is not needed for playback. The correct compatibility level for playback will be autodetected. (It examines the binary format of the lmp file; it is very rare to need to force a complevel for playback.)

BTW, Batman Doom works with vanilla Doom - I don't know if there are some things in it that won't work properly with Boom. (There might be, as it relies very heavily on dehacked tricks, and Boom has some differences in dehacked support, including a bug in the handling of "Respawn Frame", recently fixed in prboom-plus.) I have tested the first 12 or so levels with prboom-plus and -complevel 2, with no problems. If I knew the wad better (or had more time at my disposal), I would test the rest.

Note also that if you want to play with Doom2.exe or Chocolate, you will also need this patch, to counter the effects of a dehacked.exe bug.

Was playing through the maps from the Tuning Contest and took a very strong liking to map 8. Has a whopping 867 monsters on UV...not counting any resurrected enemies :P.

First off...here's the link to the wadfile: http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/freak4.zip

Time for my map 8 UV-Max comes to 14:53. Not a bad time I'd say. Not sure how much more could be shaved off (Perhaps 30 seconds to a minute?), but I just wanted to do a run for this excellent map.

Also, this map gets the honor for me writing up the longest txtfile for any level I've run. Ever :P.

Will be attaching it now.

frk81453.zip