Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

NES Doom!

Danarchy said:

Oh yeah, square waves are great.

You're being sarcastic, but there are people that like chiptune/classic videogame music. Don't knock on it.

Danarchy said:

Oh yeah, square waves are great.

Sine waves are too smooth, but the sawtooth makes a wonderful compliment to the square. Now all that I need is a triangle...

Well, there are also several ZX spectrum versions, and Wolf3D clones for Ti-99. However, all of these "Doom ports" are complete remakes from scratch, which use little or none of the original data or source code.

Most of them can be accurately described as a 3D-maze engine with enemies, not much different than a 3D version of Pacman, with the label "Doom" slapped all over them.

To my best recollection, the most minimal proper versions of Doom, able to use at least part of the original graphical and sound data and being at least in part based on the original source code, include most of the early console ports (SNES, 3DO,32X etc., all of which run Doom worse than a typical 1994 PC), or, appearing much later, the GBA version.

I would also rank Amiga and ATARI ST source ports with the lowest-spec "true" Doom source ports (not wolf3d-ish remakes), but I'm not aware of their actual minimum specs. I assume they'll be something like 2 or 4 MB of RAM and a 68020...

The minimum possible configuration at which it appears possible to actually run a playable Doom-like FPS game on CPU power alone boils down to a 68020 CPU (Amiga 1200) and 2 or 4 MB of RAM (like the first true 'Doom-like' FPS games on the Amiga, Alien Breed 3D and Gloom prove).

Symbian PDAs and the such are not even worth considering in such a list, as they have a CPU power at least comparable to a 1st-generation Pentium.

I remember there was a program that you could use to turn SNES ROMS down to NES ROMS. I'm not sure if it would work for Doom though. I remember using it to make a NES version of Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario Kart and Mortal Kombat.

It had interesting side effects, like if a sprite was too big for the NES it would reduce the size. I want to find the program again and use it for Doom :-)

Is a program like that even possible? I do in fact know pirated versions for the NES or DK 2 and MK are in fact available through roms ripped by authentic (heh) pirate carts.

geo said:

I remember there was a program that you could use to turn SNES ROMS down to NES ROMS. I'm not sure if it would work for Doom though. I remember using it to make a NES version of Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario Kart and Mortal Kombat.

It had interesting side effects, like if a sprite was too big for the NES it would reduce the size. I want to find the program again and use it for Doom :-)

An automatic converter/recompiler? Sounds very improbable, most likely it was some automated graphics ripping tool, since graphics were stored in predictable patterns, especially in NES and SNES carts.

But for the rest, the hardware is too different to perform any kind of acceptable automatic conversion, except for very trivial programs e.g. counting up to 10 in assembly language without touching any video/audio hardware. Plus, SNES Doom used a custom chip in the cartridge...good luck converting that.

Technician said:

Is a program like that even possible? I do in fact know pirated versions for the NES or DK 2 and MK are in fact available through roms ripped by authentic (heh) pirate carts.

Now that I had more time to think about it, the program only found NES ROMs of the SNES ROMS you had and downloaded them. Like how the Skulltag downloads wads. On the website it claimed to make the conversion though.

udderdude said:

You're being sarcastic, but there are people that like chiptune/classic videogame music. Don't knock on it.

no, I think he's being serious. you received what is a "false positive" on your sarcasm detector.

Alboroto said:

That's impressive. But I can run Doom in my dreams, with better resolution, slipknot sondtrack and strippers.

Now, how's that for a port?

ever heard of duke nukem 3d?

Frankdude said:

Just confirms what I said: it's a wold-3d like thingamabob with the name "Doom" slapped all over it (and BTW, there's an older black & white version of that) and practically uses none of the original graphics or sound data, or even of the original source code (well, it wasn't even released when that was made).

Again, the most low-spec "proper" source ports available are the 16-bit SNES and Amiga ones, which at least do look like Doom and use the original data/source code to some extent.

geo said:

Now that I had more time to think about it, the program only found NES ROMs of the SNES ROMS you had and downloaded them. Like how the Skulltag downloads wads. On the website it claimed to make the conversion though.

SNES roms "converted" to NES roms? I'd believe this if I saw it.

Wait, no, I wouldn't believe it even if I saw it.

Janitor said:

ever heard of duke nukem 3d?

I said, ON MY DREAMS. When I'm dreaming.

Should I make a drawing of it, or you'll say it's Photoshopped?!?!?!

lupinx-Kassman said:

Duke Nukem 3d had Slipknot music? o_o

It doesn't, my friend. There's a cover of the Theme Song by Megadeath, but no Splipknot.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Duke Nukem 3d had Slipknot music? o_o

the n64 version had a heavy metal soundtrack

Still not impressed with the video nonetheless. Duckhunt was a first person shooter and that had waaaayy better graphics.

Ah, these kids of today and their total failure to appreciate the beauty of flat polygon graphics...on an 8-bit 1 MHz console, nonetheless.

Jokes apart, it's a bit unfair to compare a 2D game with a 3D one, especially on older hardware. A more fair comparison would be e.g. Top Gun or flight sims on 8-bit computers.

Maes said:

Ah, these kids of today and their total failure to appreciate the beauty of flat polygon graphics...on an 8-bit 1 MHz console, nonetheless.

In the good old days, It wasn't about graphic cards. It was all about imagination*.

*Imagination: An endangered specie that lives deep within the brain. Rerely seen nowadays, seems to be replaced with sarcastic comments from fat kids who'll die virgins.

Hahaha@Alboroto. Why do you think I still play doom?

TheDarkArchon said:

Nu-Metal != Heavy Metal.

very true. who did that cover anyways?

In case anyone wondered, I did contact the author of the "NES Doom" thingy and told him of this thread and Doomworld. However I received no reply as of yet...and the country in his Youtube profile doesn't convince me: Afghanistan, wtf? Well, I'll keep you informed in the (unlikely?) event that he replies.

Whoever did this, i salute you. This would be extremely hard on the 6502 processor the nes used, but look at the Vic-20 Port! I would personally make all the surfaces and walls flat with the same color risking beauty for FPS. Or we could just use 6502 fast math techniques. Whoever did this is a genius!