Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sleepy_boy

Final Doom

If you have problems running Doom with multiple IWADs in the same folder, then USE A LAUNCHER. Even Doom95 should work.

You shouldn't have problems, although I never investigated it.

The latest version of the DOOM DOS executable is the one that comes with Final DOOM. It is still called 1.9, but is different from the DOOM2 and UDOOM 1.9. It supports all official versions of DOOM. When you run it, it searches for the following IWADs in the game dir: DOOM.WAD, DOOM1.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD, PLUTONIA.WAD (although I'm not sure about the exact order). Whatever it finds first, it launches. So if you have DOOM2 and both FDOOM WADs in the same dir, most likely that by default DOOM2 will be launched. I don't know what happens if you try loading an alternate one with -file. For example, if you have both DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD in the same dir, and load one of them with -file, will DOOM detect it as a valid IWAD and load all correct settings? I assume it will, but I never really bothered to try.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, HEXDD.WAD from the Deathkings expansion is marked "IWAD", although it clearly is a PWAD. I don't know what could be the reason for it, but it can confuse some editors. When it comes to TNT and Plutonia, both are completely stand-alone, contain all resources and are intended to be run without any dependancy on DOOM2 or each other.

^^^
was even more enlightning and probably very interesting as well

I keep the plutonia IWAD apart from the TNT IWAD, it doesn't deserve to share the same folder.

Well, of course they are supposed to be each in its own folder, because they are both IWADs. You should have 3 separate folders for DOOM2, TNT and Plutonia, each one running like an independent game. If you stick 2 in the same folder, DOOM will load whatever it finds first, and you'll have to load the other one manually or whatever.

^^^
was enlightening

IF you BOUGHT Doom 95, you'd know that they are in the same folder at default. The launcher picks the IWAD.

Which makes me very suspicious of you...

/whispers pssst, warez! Pass it on...!

IF you BOUGHT Doom 95, you'd know that they are in the same folder at default. The launcher picks the IWAD.

Yeah, I got it warez-style, and it still came with Doom95.

I keep the plutonia IWAD apart from the TNT IWAD, it doesn't deserve to share the same folder.

Well, of course they are supposed to be each in its own folder, because they are both IWADs. You should have 3 separate folders for DOOM2, TNT and Plutonia, each one running like an independent game. If you stick 2 in the same folder, DOOM will load whatever it finds first, and you'll have to load the other one manually or whatever.

^^^
was enlightening

Yeah, well of course I "warez"ed it. I remember it now. It was several years ago, and it was on a CD with many games. It actually came with the original installation archive, with both DOOM95 and the DOS versions. So I installed 'em, put each WAD in its own directory, and threw DOOM95 away. I always hated that thing.

OMFG.....this is so ironic.....I thought that hardcore DOOMers favored DM over Co-op any day! Every text file I see for a WAD that has DM support mentions co-op as the "wussy" way of playing DOOM. I'll even quote the multiplayer section from my DOOM Battlebook by Rick Barba:

Amazingly few of my friends play Doom in Cooperative mode...but then, those are my friends, God love 'em. Maybe you live someplace where people are happy and helpful and enjoy cooperation. I don't know. Oregon, maybe. If so, here are some tips for you, you bunch of whimps.

Naturally, I expected you "elite Doomers" to have the same views. Shows what I know......

OMFG.....this is so ironic.....I thought that hardcore DOOMers favored DM over Co-op any day! Every text file I see for a WAD that has DM support mentions co-op as the "wussy" way of playing DOOM. I'll even quote the multiplayer section from my DOOM Battlebook by Rick Barba:

Amazingly few of my friends play Doom in Cooperative mode...but then, those are my friends, God love 'em. Maybe you live someplace where people are happy and helpful and enjoy cooperation. I don't know. Oregon, maybe. If so, here are some tips for you, you bunch of whimps.

Naturally, I expected you "elite Doomers" to have the same views. Shows what I know......

Rick fucking Barba probably can't even beat the first three episodes of Ultimate Doom on HMP without God mode.

WTF is wrong with Oregon? I love that place!

oh, and does nobody know how to use the -iwad command line parameter here? Just a thought =)

There is no -iwad parameter in DOOM.EXE. As for the ports, of course I use it. You don't seriously expect me to have a copy of each port in each of the DOOM dirs, do you? I am clearly pro-separate-directories.

I don't mind an occasional deathmatch, but there's hardly any good maps for it. Map13 was the only map I ever really had the slightest fun DMing in, the rest are usually too small, and those silly little things that pass for DM maps nowadays may look nice but get boring after about 2 minutes playing in them.

yeah, there are too many 'DM' maps out there. A good DM map is also often a good single player/coop map too. The problem with solely 'DM' maps is that they are divorced from the Doom storyline, which makes them a bit shit.

yeah, there are too many 'DM' maps out there. A good DM map is also often a good single player/coop map too. The problem with solely 'DM' maps is that they are divorced from the Doom storyline, which makes them a bit shit.

Storyline? Uhhhhh......last I checked, the only "story" about a DM was to find your opponent(s) and kill him/them.

Are you a member of the Doomworld DOLTs?

Why yes I am...did you know that 2 moderators and 1 administrator are on that list? Are you implying that they, our protectors and one of our fearless leaders are dolts?

Yeah man, WTF? Doom storyline, first of all, involves the demons, which kinda implies Co-op.

By the way, the storyline is so far best expressed in Alien Vendetta readme:

"UAC...gateways...mad screams...crates and stuff..."

Yeah man, WTF? Doom storyline, first of all, involves the demons, which kinda implies Co-op.

I meant a DM storyline w/o monsters.

And WADs don't have to be the same story as the original game. Hell, I just DLed one that was based on the Waco thing with David Couresh (sp?)

And WADs don't have to be the same story as the original game. Hell, I just DLed one that was based on the Waco thing with David Couresh (sp?)

Waco thing? What? Is that where the dude went to the top of the clock tower and just began picking random people off?

You know those fires in Waco, TX (almost right in the middle of the route between San Antonio, where I live, and Dallas) that happened in the early 90's? It made national headlines. David Couresh (best I could spell it) had something to do with it, I think it was some religious cult. He and his followers didn't like it that Clinton got elected, blah blah blah........

Gah, I don't remember the details. I was in like 2nd grade when it happened. Yes, this WAD was made a few years after it happened, obviously.

Hmm, cause I remember playing a WAD (might've been for Duke3d) based on a true story about some maniac somewhere in Texas who climbed a clock tower (this was like 1890, so it was the tallest thing in the city) with a sniper rifle and just began mowing people down. Shot like 14 people or something before the cops took him down.

Are you a member of the Doomworld DOLTs?

Why yes I am...did you know that 2 moderators and 1 administrator are on that list? Are you implying that they, our protectors and one of our fearless leaders are dolts?

You are a dumbass. Click the link and see where it actually takes you before you open your mouth.

About my earlier comment, I just meant that the DM maps built just for DM don't make much sense in terms of the game. Unless you say UAC built a training ground for marines to fight in or something. I mean, the monsters aren't gonna do it, are they? I much prefer DM in the ordinary levels, it's somehow more interesting than arena.

Username: NightWatcher
Date Registered: December 26, 2001
Total Posts: 0
Current Email: nightwatcher666@hotmail.com
Homepage:
ICQ Number: 77476104
AIM Handle: NightWatcher119
User Defined Status:
Biography: I am me! get used to it.

I know this guy personally. Didn't know he made a profile.