Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Changing level names: still nothing

I've tried this 20 different ways, and I still don't know what's wrong.

I open my PWAD in XWE. Let's say it replaces MAP02. I import a BMP (specially made by DoomWord(TM)) to be used as a level name. XWE correctly recognizes it as an image. I rename the lump to CWILV01, then XWE converts it to a GFX type (34). Offsets are 0,0. I run the PWAD in Vanilla Doom2, and nothing. I see my custom level, but the intermission screen is still Underhalls.

I tried both "Load" and "Load (raw data)", neither works. I've seen different names for the lump depending on where I look (CWIL##, CWILV##, WILV##)... none of the above work. I've tried interchanging status screen text with automap text to see if either changed. I've tried different PWADS, even other people's wads that already have new level names. I've tried taking graphics from other wads and putting them in mine. I've changed the position of the lump to either under the corresponding map or at the end of the file. I've closed the file and reloaded it to ensure that XWE is actually saving the lump into the wad instead of just having a good laugh. Nope nope nope nope. Maybe.

What am I missing? Would I have any better luck with WinTex?

That's pretty strange. I can add interface graphics pretty easily and they work fine in Doom2. Are you using the latest beta of XWE?

Did you try making a separate wad that contains only the new level name graphics? Try that, and if it works, merge it with the levels wad.

Strange that I didn't have the latest version. I only downloaded it a few weeks ago. But yeah, still nothing. I made a WAD with just a level name graphic and Doom2 dumps out with a "Bad_VDrawName" or something like that. *shrug*

At least I know it's TRYING to replace it now...

That error generally means that the graphic isn't fitting in the screen. Assuming the offsets are 0 0, it's probably too wide. Is the level name very long, or taller than the usual ones?

An image I pulled from av.wad worked fine in WinTex. The images I made from DoomName give me error messages like "Bad Header" or "Not 256 colors". Meh, at least I'm headed in the right direction.

I've never used DoomName myself, but make sure the graphics are (preferably bitmaps) in the 256 color DOOM palette (Pain Shop Pro and The GIMP let you work with palettes), and that their background (usually cyan) is as small as it can possibly be for the image in question.