Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Speaking of '94 levels, here's a duo of demos for one of the ones that I found on idgames/ by throwing my first name into the search engine under "Author." These were recorded in PrBoom 2.4.7 with Ultimate Doom compatibility (-complevel 3).

STWR-TGH - Demos for STAIRWAR.WAD by Eric van Bezooijen (based on ULTIMA.WAD by Kenneth S. Forte,) including:

• STWR-005 - UV speed in 00:05
  • STWRn005 - NM speed in 00:05
EDIT: URL error fixed. Thanks, myk!

When I stumbled upon Realm of Shades I was probably as surprised as some of the people posting in Richie's thread over two and a half years ago to see that it's SDA page is almost empty.

So here's a complete UV Max pack for this excellent mapset.

Here I come with demos for a 1995 map! They're for ACADEMY.WAD by Tony Bruno, which I also found after throwing my first name into the search engine under "Author," although the only Eric is the guy who did the music WAD. This pack features a UV speed run, as well as my first "true" UV max run for any level, beating Maikl's record of 3:31! Both of these were recorded with PrBoom-plus 2.4.8.1 using -complevel 3 (Ultimate Doom compatibility.) This map suffers from a REJECT overflow (1326<1327,) but both demos will play back correctly in PrBoom-plus with or without emulation. Check 'em out.

ACAD-TGH - UV demos for ACADEMY.WAD by Tony Bruno, including:

• ACAD-055 - UV speed in 0:55
  • ACAD-209 - UV max in 2:09

Nice demoset Belial, I didn't know about that wad. Very Demonizedesque (if that's a word).

Grazza said:

I presume from the description that it is !pipe!.

I should have written "Opulent and Grazza", dammit. =)

Grazza said:

But how the hell...? This one will be worth seeing.

The story is in the TXT. The TXT is in the ZIP. The ZIP is up.
I dedicate this run to you, Graham. It would not have existed if you had not proved me wrong on the Return To Phobos E1M8 NM.

Edit: for all those who are wondering what the hell this is all about, it's !PIPE!.WAD (here is its SDA page)

Hm, can you (Kristian Ronge or entryway) please give a link to Russian forum or the direct link to the MM TAS run? I would really like to
check this out (and also check if my cheated mm04-137 is any good).

On topic: made a TAS uv-max run on doom2 map01 in 0:36.

http://up.k10x.net/aipcgkbmlqkun/lv01-036.zip - not permanent upload, dont know where to upload instead :/

jongo said:

Hm, can you (Kristian Ronge or entryway) please give a link to Russian forum or the direct link to the MM TAS run?

Lost Heretic said:

This TAS run still in progress, sorry...

Kristian Ronge said:

Here's the thread with the details of the run, though.

The Green Herring said:
Speaking of '94 levels, here's a duo of demos for one of the ones that I found on idgames/ by throwing my first name into the search engine under "Author." These were recorded in PrBoom 2.4.7 with Ultimate Doom compatibility (-complevel 3).

If you want the Doom v1.9u executable you can generate it easily with an upgrade patch using your "ultimate" IWAD, as mentioned here.

EDIT: Your Academy max and Maikl's both work fine using Doom v1.9u on my system (Windows 98), while your speed run desynchs.

myk said:

If you want the Doom v1.9u executable you can generate it easily with an upgrade patch using your "ultimate" IWAD, as mentioned here.

I just tried that... and it works! With both games! Previously, I was using the modified executable included with Alien Vendetta (which simply changes the level names, intermission text, and par times) to do my Doom2.exe demos, as my registered downloads of both games from id's site only had Doom95. Thank you so much, man!

myk said:

EDIT: Your Academy max and Maikl's both work fine using Doom v1.9u on my system (Windows 98), while your speed run desynchs.

Yeah, I noticed that in Chocolate Doom, as I mentioned in the overflows thread. Like I said there, the next time I record on that map, I'll use the fixed version, and include it with the demo .zip. I should update the text file to mention it, now that I think about it...

EDIT: And I have now done so. I also updated the text file for STWR-TGH to mention my possession of the v1.9u executable.

Sorry for the double post, but here are two demos I recorded with the Ultimate Doom executable today. The first is for the Xbox Doom bonus map, which is rather crappy, especially around the yellow key area; while the other is another 1994 level that's notable for how it appears on the automap when you get a computer map. ;) SEWERS.WAD can be downloaded here at ClassicDoom.com, alongside Betray (which I also recorded a demo for.)

SWRS-217 - Sewers (SEWERS.WAD) by David Calvin and David Blanshine in 02:17 (UV speed)
PTGM-112 - PENTGRAM.WAD by Jin H. Kim in 01:12 (UV speed)

EDIT (Sept. 8, 2007): Forgot to put the demo categories in this post. Bah!

Good work on ACADEMY, TGH. Now we have a prBoom-plus compatible max demo for that WAD.
The reason you could make such a large improvement on Maikl's time is that, having so many WADs to demo, he apparently was happy with a first 100% exit. And I agree with what most of his TXT files say

IMHO, a "speedrun" is not the best way to show off a level. So I prefer to record demos that end with 100% kills & 100% secrets.

For that reason, I'd suggest you do UV max on the WADs that haven't been demoed yet. =)

Indeed, I recall when someone did challenge Maikl to record a speedier Max on one of the wads he had demoed in his standard leisurely fashion, he made an absolutely blistering run that left no doubts as to his ability to kill stuff very quickly. :)

BTW, Maikl's academy Max can be played back in prboom-plus (and I presume other compatible ports) using the modified version of the wad that is attached to this thread (scroll to the bottom of the page). If I understand correctly, what Andrey did was to edit the reject lump so as to pad it in the same way that Doom.exe does (which in this type of case is not emulatable in general without also emulating Doom.exe's memory management).

True, Maikl is no slouch when it comes to speed. I recall seeing him take part (and IIRC win) in a DOOM2 NM contest on some Russian site years ago.
Watched the !pipe! NM demo yet, o ye fan of Kvitøya and Argunov?

Been so long since I've done a demo :P. An hour or so ago I did an improved UV-Max for Punisher.wad.

Yeah, roughly one month since my last demo and I pick a level that's a monster slaughterhouse. So typical of me :P.

Anyways, with a new route, I got a time of 5:38. Perhaps somewhere around 5:30 or better is possible here.

Attaching the demo now.

pnsh-538.zip

@Gusta: In progress. The route work on that one is tricky as the main room is open to any kind of approach, so I've left it for last.

@Anima: :)

The demo for map04 desynched :-/ I have the version from 25.05.2004 with the size of 15 579 841 B and watched under prboom 2.2.6. Anybody helps me?

Gusta said:

The demo for map04 desynched :-/ I have the version from 25.05.2004 with the size of 15 579 841 B and watched under prboom 2.2.6. Anybody helps me?

It desynced for me under 2.3.1 as well, but 2.4.8.1 (the version that was used for recording) works fine, so I'd recommend going with that.

Please use the current version.

There have been many compatibility fixes, both in comparison with old prboom versions, and the 2.4.8.1 release. (See the changelog.)

2.2.6 really has a lot of compat problems. There's no good reason to use it. (The current version can also play back old "incompatible" demos from earlier versions, so there is no need to use the old versions even for that purpose.)

do not record vanilla compatible demos on dv.wad/map04 with old versions of prboom(+), because of

[-] PrBoom bug: Fix a compatibility issue that was introduced by Lee Killough a long time ago. There is no more synch :) on dv04-423.lmp@dv.wad. Added switch to force old behaviour with demo_compatibility: [-force_remove_slime_trails]. It is relevant for viewing doom-compatible demos recorded with old versions of prboom (< 2.4.6) or prboom-plus (< 2.4.6.1) in cases of desyncs

There are no reasons to do not use -complevel 2, because of doom2+ can handle Deus Vult without problems