Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eugene

Eternal demos [-complevel 2]

There is also the acceleration setting within prboom-plus, something that isn't available in regular prboom. If you don't want that to come into play, then set it to zero. In general, prboom-plus has a lot of optional features - if you don't like them, you've no need to abandon the port - just go through the menus and nuke the things you don't want (or start off with a blank cfg and only enable the things you want, etc.).

Personally, I have recently started using a degree of mouse acceleration, and this seems to help quite a lot with the "new-style" glides. I feel they are too important a feature of current speedrunning to have a set-up that makes them harder than they need to be.

And feel very free to keep making "Eternal" posts in this thread. Just make sure "Eternal" and "non-Eternal" comments are in separate posts. I'll do the split once I am at home (right now I am using a free Internet access terminal in Singapore).

MAP30 UV-Speed in 6:14

Using Eugene's route. This demo ends a few seconds prematurely in Chocolate Doom, when the door in front of the icon of sin raises after the keens die. The program just exits. Any idea why? It plays back fine in PrBoom-Plus and PrBoom.

I also got a first exit on MAP26 in 7:48, but I want to try improving on that.

TimeOfDeath said:
This demo ends a few seconds prematurely in Chocolate Doom, when the door in front of the icon of sin raises after the keens die. The program just exits. Any idea why? It plays back fine in PrBoom-Plus and PrBoom.

Beats me, as it runs fine all the way to the tally screen under both Doom2 and Chocolate Doom, on my system. Great running, by the way.

The Chocolate Doom I'm using is dated January 14th, 2007.

Yes, works fine in everything for me: Doom2.exe, Doom2-plus, Prboom-plus and Chocolate-Doom (using Eternal.wad created by updating from Eternal2) and in Chocolate-Doom using the "raw" eternall.wad with -merge, and also prboom-plus using that same eternall.wad. The copy of Chocolate-Doom I am using is dated 10-Feb-2007.

Ok thanks guys. Good to know that it works fine as I was worried there. :)
The Chocolate Doom I'm using is dated February 13th, 2006. I'm not sure why I didn't grab the newest version.

TimeOfDeath said:

MAP12 UV-"Speed" in 10:48

I have noticed, you use strafe50 very often. What method do you use for straf50? Only keys, keys plus strafeon on mouse with dragging or maybe something else

I use wasd for movement, left alt for strafeon (with my thumb), and drag the mouse.

For weapons I use left shift for shotgun/ssg, Q for rockets, E for plasma, R for chaingun, and F for bfg (the other weapons with their default keys). I wanted to mention that because is it true that you can't change weapon keys in doom2.exe?

TimeOfDeath said:

I wanted to mention that because is it true that you can't change weapon keys in doom2.exe?

correct, unless somebody makes a driver to remap keys... just like the intellimouse 4.12 driver does in win98. It allows to map keystrokes to mouse buttons which then work with doom2.exe/heretic.exe.

TimeOfDeath said:

I use wasd for movement, left alt for strafeon (with my thumb), and drag the mouse.

The same with mouse2 for strafeon

TimeOfDeath said:

I wanted to mention that because is it true that you can't change weapon keys in doom2.exe?

You always can hack the EXE :)

Ok thanks guys. So I assume these sorts of things are illegal in Compet-N? Also, I'm curious how many other players use a custom weapon config? And, if you use the default weapon config, how do you feel about players who use a custom weapon config? Sorry for all the questions, but I've just been curious about this stuff. :)

In ZDaemon I just use Q and E for next weapon and previous weapon. If a custom weapon config is a problem, and/or if pretty much everybody uses the default keys, then I think I should learn the default way.

Here's an improvement on MAP11 UV-Speed in 3:08
Is a rocket jump to the archvile platform possible?

Not weapons, but I've swapped two keys in place on my keyboard due to DOOM, and permanently*; the Q key and the console key, so that Q won't exit when recording a demo, and I use that key as key_left & key_strafe, for sr50.

I generally use Doom or Doom+ to play so I never thought of moving the weapons around*, and just leave the weapons in their default keys when using another engine (PrBoom, ZDaemon, or whatever).

As for COMPET-N, I'm not sure if key swapping has been considered directly, but the rules section only mentions spinning TSRs (those that let you turn 180° with a key), which it allows.

* Running the key changing program every time before and after playing would be a hassle that I'm sure I'd often forget to go over, since I can't hack the binary on a whim as someone like entryway could.

Improvement on MAP12 UV-Speed in 5:53 thanks to a glide at the yellow skull.

The reason I brought up the weapon key stuff is because I think it would be an advantage to use a custom config like mine, where I barely have to move my fingers to change weapons, compared to using the default keys. So, I wondered how other players felt about that.

Also, I forgot to mention this in the txt file, but there doesn't seem to be many places to glide in this wad, does there? I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Very nice, TimeOfDeath. It's a dedicated player who can create a maxdemo of an Eternal level with minimal downtime, and doubly so for one of Couleur's maps.

It's great to see this route-planning nightmare of a MegaWAD getting some long overdue attention.

MAP19 UV-Max in 14:33

Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Edit: darn, I forgot to change the comp level in the config file back to 2 before recording this (my bat file doesn't specify a complevel and I've been changing the config file to 9 to watch the cchest demos). The demo doesn't desync in Chocolate Doom, so does that mean it's ok?

It is a vanilla-format demo, and it plays back fine, so one way or another you got it right. It certainly isn't a Boom-format demo, so either the cfg did include a 2, or somehow you did specify this complevel.

Please note that there is no need to force a complevel for demo playback. The program takes care of it by inspecting the demo's binary format. Almost all demos will be autodetected and played back correctly. This autodetection overrides whatever you have put in the cfg (i.e. default_compatibility_level in the cfg has no relevance to demo playback).