Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheAdmantArchvile

Worst Doom wad EVER

There are a lot of incredibly awful WADs out there. Doomworld included a compilation of the 10 most infamous wads of all time, which aren't necessarily bad. It's also an old list, so it doesn't include newer things like, say, anything Giulio Galassi has made.

I think wow.wad is probably the worst I know. Even by the standards of shit wads, it's inordinately terrible.

I kinda want to say NeoDoom if your talking a waste of bytes, the wad was pretty good but it was jampacked with lots of textures and graphics and soundfx that were not even used.

I tend to think all of my maps suck, so feel free to look up in the archives:

3 Steps of Hell (Doom 2)
AnE1M3Level (Doom 1)
Baseball DM (Skulltag DM map)
Mega Phase (Doom 2)
I Give Up On Trying to Map (Doom 2)

I keep thinking I am forgetting a level of mine... but there you go.

That Aus-something nazi wad.

TheAdmantArchvile said:

Anything by Randy and Mandy is preety bad.

Die.

Jodwin said:

That Aus-something nazi wad.

Nazi Auferstehung I think.

Wow.wad, when it comes to quality, is the bottom of the barrel crap. The only thing I can think of that is worse is Scythe II's map 28.

dutch devil said:

Download something I made it looks nice but plays like shit.

That might have been true once (in my opinion), but not anymore. I once compared you to Tormentor, but the gameplay on your levels has improved a lot faster than on his.

dutch devil said:
Download something I made it looks nice but plays like shit.

Nonsense! I put gameplay first and I have thoroughly enjoyed playing through most of your creations.

TheAdmantArchvile said:

Sorry. It's just that I'm not turned on by imps having sex

Aren't you supposed to objectively review the quality of the production, not subjectively see if the wad is your kind of stuff? :-P

I still think I can improve on gameplay I think it would help an great deal if I had Belial's playing skills or something :p only solution for that would be that I need to play alot more doom maps instead of putting 90% of my time in creating them but in truth I enjoy making maps more than playing them.And staying away from flat hallway type maps is whats helping alot also height difference also improves gameplay imo.

Well to stay on topic Hokuto No Doom and Auferstrbunm or whatever its called are two projects which I didn't enjoy.But the good news is there are far more good maps/projects than crappy ones imo.

I think I heard of a wad that contained a virus at some point. Betcha that was pretty bad.

I nominate the Xornox series. Every single one of those wads is awful. Expect things like shoddy sprites rips from Final Fantasy games and abysmal level design.

Graf Zahl said:

I'll nominate the same one as last time this topic came up:

SADHUSCT

My personal favorite, along with the others in the "series".

I'd say DRE... if I had had the chance to see it! :( anyone knows where to find it? Just for some laughs...
Other than that, I'll stick to the classics... Wow.wad

UomoLumaca said:

I'd say DRE... if I had had the chance to see it! :( anyone knows where to find it? Just for some laughs...
Other than that, I'll stick to the classics... Wow.wad

i wouldnt do it, kills brain cells

It's hard to pick

-I can't remember the name, that one that was supposed to be a Resident Evil Tc using resources from 3DFX with their explicit authorization (but it had nothing to do with Resident Evil, neither 3DFX, just random shit crapped in a same wad).

-Auftershung or something, damn that one sucks!

-Mockery, ok it had some little funny moment, but the whole thing was unpleasant in visuals and gameplay. What adds it to the list is that it was made by skilled authors working seriously to make it bad, but it was worst, congratulations!

-Wow, wow just wow!

I'd add Dwango5 and DRE, but for the first one I think there's nothing wrong with the wad but with the people playing it damn even the wad has other levels than map01, its players even take it as some kind of official map for duels or something, they give lame excuses not to play on other map, but the truth is that they play worse in the other maps and better on that one (this can be verified again and again). My theory is that people started playing map01 because it's the default when you run DOOM 2, and because probably is the only map with decent architecture (just because it uses architectures from a DOOM 2 map), then it was turned into a tradition, and people now follow it without knowing its origins (you'll quickly note that Dwango5 fans are not the smartest guys in the DOOM community).
With DRE, for me the retard is/was the author, the wad is bad, but nothing else, there are worst.

Vegeta said:
but for the first one I think there's nothing wrong with the wad but with the people playing it damn even the wad has other levels than map01, its players even take it as some kind of official map for duels or something, they give lame excuses not to play on other map, but the truth is that they play worse in the other maps and better on that one (this can be verified again and again).

Well, try racing a car in an unfamiliar or only relatively familiar road and see what happens. A level's popularity, either played online or recorded in demos, and to a lesser degree in other ways, such as getting many comments or reviews due to much player exposure, is an asset of the wad. It allows people to compare and helps make sure that there will be a decent level of play going there. I mean, if someone were to aske me what I think of d5m1 for playing 1-on-1 games, I'd probably say "hmm... 3 stars plus 1 or 2 for how much it's been played on and still is". Not only the wads are valuable, but also the (shared) playing, which is what really brings life to the levels, especially online.

It's kind of hard to get a new wad to become popular online and that isn't just because other wads are popular (since there needs to be wads that are popular for long periods of time to have a lasting good level of play and a game one can come back to in the longer run).

The original levels glow more than any others for this reason, of course. Playing in them you can almost feel the endless number of players that have and will cross those paths as well.