Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Grazza said:
It would be useful if you could confirm whether there is likely to be another release, or if this is fairly likely to be the final release on which people can start recording. Not suggesting that I think there are bugs to fix, but it's just nice to know one way or the other. [/B]

...There may very well be another release, actually. I just received a beta-test e-mail from Anima revealing that I somehow managed to fuck up the improved monster teleporters on MAP05, thanks to one-time-use linedefs used in place of repeatable ones, which can prevent 100% Kills. It remains to be seen if anything else critical will be found... but I guess I'm going to have to wait on making that topic, huh?

Yes there will be a hotfix release, which should be the definitive release of the project, like the Green Herring said after we make sure there are no other problems and or errors other than the ones that have already been found.

The hotfix for CC3 was released today. It is available from Andy Leaver's site (same link as before,) and it should be available on idgames later, too. As far as I'm concerned, this is the final version! Recording on the wad can resume now. The levels that were already recorded on remain unchanged, so Grazza and Anima Zero's demos will still play back correctly. I'll start a CC series demo topic once I get a set of demos for all three iterations thus far recorded. :)

Nice ... if you people gonna start to work on a CC3 UV-max demopack, hopefully count on me too :-)

Cool, Eugene!
I did 0:59 on Wonderful Doom E2M8 a while back. Just aimed for something below 1 minute flat; IMHO 0:55 or lower shouldn't be difficult to get.

EDIT: Heh, I just played around for a few minutes and got a 0:58. Hopefully I can improve the time further shortly.

Nice run, I loved your final shot. Well the one before that final one in fact.
I hope this won't offend you, it happens almost all the time while I'm playing.

I'm posting here to let everyone know what I'm five levels away from finishing a UV speed demo pack for WADPAK1A. I should be finished with it soon. When I am, I'll link to it in this thread. Here's hoping that I'll be able to do UV speed packs for the other WADPAKs as well! :)

The Green Herring said:

Here's hoping that I'll be able to do UV speed packs for the other WADPAKs as well! :)

BTW, Never_Again has done a demopack for wadpak2 - it is here for the time being. It's a complete set of UV Max -fast demos, and assorted others.

Grazza said:

BTW, Never_Again has done a demopack for wadpak2 - it is here for the time being. It's a complete set of UV Max -fast demos, and assorted others.

I know. :) There are only two speed demos included, though, and both of them are Nightmare! runs (E1M4: 777.WAD and E1M8: SCREAM.WAD.) I should watch those once I'm done with the WADPAK1A demos in order to help me with route-planning on those maps (even if UV would be easier.)

Only three levels in 1A to go...

Ryback said:

Excellent, looking forward to this. Also one thing if you want more work, Wadpaks 5-20 can be found here...

Interesting. It seems they were compiled by a different guy, though, and he just added many of the then-current WADs out there in alphabetical order. Also, for some reason, all the sprites are invisible when WADPAK5 is loaded, and it has some lousy sound replacements...

Anyway, the time has come to tell you that I have now released my WADPAK1A demo pack! Some of my demos here have me using strafe50 in what is clearly a mouse and keyboard setup (my FREAK4 MAP04 demo used just the keyboard,) and are my first recorded demos to show me doing that. Cool, huh? There's also a one-second improvement to 11BONES.WAD (E2M3) over Kristian Ronge's standalone demo for it. Anyway, here's a link to the pack. Enjoy!

WP1A-TGH.ZIP - UV speed demo pack for WADPAK1A.WAD, including:

• W111-000 - E1M1: TNCROSS.WAD in 00:00
  • W112-202 - E1M2: TREE1.WAD in 02:02
  • W113-020 - E1M3: HUH.WAD in 00:20
  • W119-014 - E1M9: TEK.WAD in 00:14
  • W114-010 - E1M4: FOREST.WAD E2M1 in 00:20
  • W115-108 - E1M5: FOREST.WAD E2M2 in 01:08
  • W116-033 - E1M6: FOREST.WAD E3M3 in 00:33
  • W117-038 - E1M7: EVIL_E.WAD in 00:38
  • W118-144 - E1M8: FORTRESS.WAD in 01:44
  • W121-028 - E2M1: MAZE1.WAD in 00:28
  • W122-213 - E2M2: LEWIS21F.WAD in 02:13
  • W123-043 - E2M3: 11BONES.WAD in 00:43
  • W124-032 - E2M4: LONGMTCH.WAD in 00:32
  • W125-103 - E2M5: 666.WAD in 01:03
  • W129-227 - E2M9: CASTLE.WAD in 02:27
  • W126-223 - E2M6: CORTYR_B.WAD in 02:23
  • W127-102 - E2M7: BEHOLDER.WAD in 01:02
  • W128-050 - E2M8: MEGAWATT.WAD in 00:50
  • W131-008 - E3M1: STONES.WAD in 00:08
  • W132-034 - E3M2: MELANGE.WAD in 00:34
  • W133-041 - E3M3: MARX1_2.WAD in 00:41
  • W134-003 - E3M4: MARKROOM.WAD in 00:03
  • W135-047 - E3M5: MOONBASE.WAD in 00:47
  • W136-108 - E3M6: OCTAGON.WAD in 01:08
  • W139-029 - E3M9: CHRIS.WAD in 00:29
  • W137-009 - E3M7: FY1_1-2.WAD E1M2 in 00:09
  • W138-027 - E3M8: FY1_1-2.WAD E1M1 in 00:27
  • Bonus Demo: W113-BUG - E1M3: HUH.WAD bug demonstration
  • Bonus Demo: TEK-003 - The original TEK.WAD in 00:03
  • Bonus Demo: W127102A - Alternate E2M7: BEHOLDER.WAD 1:02 demo
  • Bonus Demo: W138027A - Alternate E3M8: FY1_1-2.WAD E1M1 0:27 demo
EDIT (9:51 PM PST): Added short summaries of each demo in this post.
EDIT (10:42 PM PST): Fixed filename errors in above list.

Excellent news! I'm looking forward to watching this set, TGH. A demopak of a classical era WAD is like an early Xmas to me.
edit: ah, I see you even included per-level comments - this is a real goodie! Thanks!

Never_Again said:

Excellent news! I'm looking forward to watching this set, TGH. A demopak of a classical era WAD is like an early Xmas to me.
edit: ah, I see you even included per-level comments - this is a real goodie! Thanks!

No problem! Don't mind my, uh, vicious descriptions of CORTYR_B.WAD and MEGAWATT.WAD... They were written in fits of frustration following my successful exits on these maps, and I did both of those late at night, at that. I was obviously starting to get tired at the time.

In any case, enjoy!

Very nice pack. I enjoyed all the descriptions and the detective work you put into finding out the authors.

I sympathised entirely with the more _annoyed_ descriptions, CORTYR_B in particular is a real bastard to run.

Ryback said:

Very nice pack. I enjoyed all the descriptions and the detective work you put into finding out the authors.

I sympathised entirely with the more _annoyed_ descriptions, CORTYR_B in particular is a real bastard to run.

For real. I wonder if you have any favorites out of all of my demos?

I feel like a stalker for trying to find out the names of the authors, but hey, I felt like being complete. By the way, the "K. Desrochers" and "T. Furst" mentioned in the text file for LONGMTCH.WAD are apparently Kenneth DesRochers and Todd J. Furst, at least judging from this Usenet post from someone at Boyer's university featuring a few students' master's theses, including Boyer's, DesRochers's, and Furst's, but I didn't feel that it was worth modifying the times listing and making the "E2M4: LONGMTCH.WAD" header two lines long just to mention them. But hey, at least I've mentioned them here. :)

For that matter, I didn't know who the author of DRACO1.WAD (WADPAK4 E2M8) was, even after all of my previous searching, given that I could never find a reference to it on Google or Google Groups, until you linked me to that map collection, and then I found DRACO1.ZIP. And then I realized I could have just typed "DRACO" into the filename search at the idgames archive and found the map (in DRACO.ZIP.) Go figure. (FYI: It's apparently Erik Cullins.)

EDIT (3:17 PM): By the way, this same sort of detective work is how I found out Avatar's real name for the Memento Mori articles at the Doom Wiki.

Well, from this pack, I thought these levels:

e1m3
e1m6
e1m7
e2m3
e2m4
e3m2
e3m3

were particularly smooth. Another difficult level I forgot, LEWIS21F, deserves some recognition. Actually going to the trouble of learning the route out of that bastard grid... I think I just ran at random in my run.

Ryback said:

Another difficult level I forgot, LEWIS21F, deserves some recognition. Actually going to the trouble of learning the route out of that bastard grid... I think I just ran at random in my run.

As mentioned in the text file, I used a level editor to find the correct path; like Hell I would try to figure out idiocy like that myself.

Anyway, just one day after I released WP1A-TGH, I found an improvement on MARKROOM.WAD (E3M4,) allowing me to complete it one second faster. Without further ado, here's the demo I recorded today.

MKRM-002 - MARKROOM.WAD by Mark Griswold in 00:02 (UV speed; includes a variant for WADPAK1A.WAD E3M4 [W134-002])|

EDIT (6:28 PM PST): Fixed quote (the name and the beginning Bold tag was left out.)

The Green Herring said:
No problem! Don't mind my, uh, vicious descriptions of CORTYR_B.WAD and MEGAWATT.WAD... They were written in fits of frustration following my successful exits on these maps, and I did both of those late at night, at that. I was obviously starting to get tired at the time.

Heh, yeah, it read almost like you were expecting the incipient mappers to have had the speed running knowledge of Anders Johnsen or Adolf Vojta, but I can imagine the difficulties of tackling these old levels.

By the way, some levels may seem more broken than they really were to their authors. I've watched the first two episodes yet and noted that E2M7 (BEHOLDER) isn't broken in Doom v1.2 in the way you describe, as the monsters you said were missing near the end do teleport in.

myk said:

By the way, some levels may seem more broken than they really were to their authors. I've watched the first two episodes yet and noted that E2M7 (BEHOLDER) isn't broken in Doom v1.2 in the way you describe, as the monsters you said were missing near the end do teleport in.

I just checked... and you're right! This reminds me of VILLAGE.WAD (WADPAK2.WAD E3M3,) which is impossible in any version of Doom later than v1.2 because they changed the effect of one of the linedef actions used in the map, preventing you from reaching the red key. I know Never Again provided a fix for that with his WADPAK2 demo pack... if I do a WADPAK2 speed pack, I'll be using it.

Sorry for the double post, but I managed to improve my runs on 11BONES.WAD and MOONBASE.WAD as well! Here they are:

11BO-040 - 11BONES.WAD by Damon Brodie in 00:40 (UV speed; ncludes a variant for WADPAK1A.WAD E2M3 [W123-040])
MNBS-045 - MOONBASE.WAD by Curtis Turner II in 00:45 (UV speed; ncludes a variant for WADPAK1A.WAD E3M5 [W135-045])

I also recorded on the versions of the maps found in Mars War, along with its MAP20 (which is a converted Heretic E1M1.) Check 'em out:

MSWR-TGH - UV speed demos for Mars War (MARSWAR.WAD) by Nathan Lineback, including:

• MW15-044 - MAP15: The Fringes in 00:44
  • MW20-027 - MAP20: Land of the Lame in 00:27
  • MW25-038 - MAP25: 1984 in 00:38
And with that, I'm off to bed. Damn, am I up late...

Here is a set of nomonsters demos for Espi's 'Back to Basics' wad. The megawad replaces Episode 2 of Ultimate Doom. I mainly did these to inspire others to do some UV Max, Speed, and even Tyson demos. Basically, they are all completed with Prboom-plus 2.4.8.2 using -complevel 9. Hope they are helpful to somebody. This is a very good map set from Espi.

Edit: Per Grazza, these demos appear only to play back under XP Pro or Vista, for reasons that are currently under investigation.

Edit2 by Grazza: To play back these demos, be sure to use the version of the wad dated 22-December-2007.

No attachment has come through. Check the instructions and try again, or e-mail it to Opulent or myself.

Marco said:

Here is a set of nomonsters demos for Espi's 'Back to Basics' wad. The megawad replaces Episode 2 of Ultimate Doom. I mainly did these to inspire others to do some UV Max, Speed, and even Tyson demos. Basically, they are all completed with Prboom-plus 2.4.8.2 using -complevel 9. Hope they are helpful to somebody. This is a very good map set from Espi.

Edit: Per Grazza, these demos appear only to play back under XP Pro or Vista, for reasons that are currently under investigation.

Andrey, I'm sure, knows why.
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/b2bnmlmps.zip

Marco said:
Basically, they are all completed with Prboom-plus 2.4.8.2 using -complevel 9.

Demos for this wad are best recorded using compatibility level 3, Chocolate Doom, or Doom v1.9u, though.