Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kobalt2k7

Original, full quality Doom 1,2 soundtrack

This is my first attempt on creating a torrent, so I hope I got it right: http://www.torrentbox.com/download/188064/DooM-Soundtrack%20%5Bhigh%20quality%20Sound%20Canvas%20FLAC%5D.torrent

It includes all tracks from Doom 1 and the following available at rome.ro, to fill up the size of a CD audio:
Un14.mid
Un17.mid
Un18.mid
Un19.mid
Un20.mid
Un21-f.mid
Un23.mid
Un30.mid
Un31.mid
Un41.mid
Un42.mid
Un43.mid
Un45.mid
Un51.mid

I will seed this for a limited time, so if someone can effort a permanent place for them, don't hesitate to host them.

LogicDeLuxe said:
Have an example in FLAC format (4'20", 27.0 MB)

I endorse this message. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing...

Sweet, downloading it.

Personally I don't think Doom 2 has as memorable music, though it would be nice too.

While on this track, what about TNT: Evilution (Plutonia just reuses Doom 1/2 music)? I don't know what sound card the music was made for, if any :/

I think it would have more appropriate to bundle it with the Doom 2 music than with some of the random unreleased stuff. The TNT music would be nice, too.

Someone needs to get to work hacking flac music support into chocolate doom. It would be a hell of a lot better than using timidity, even with the GUS patches. Actually, having music as it sounded with Vanilla on the intended hardware doesn't conflict with choco's goal... Fraggle!

FLAC support kind of does conflict with choco's goal :P It goes both ways.

LDL: Are you making sure to stay in super-seeder mode until a complete copy is downloaded? It just seems that it's going slower than it should

Well, considering it's impossible to get the music as it sounded in Vanilla on this hardware on modern systems across various operating systems, I think the goal of reproducing that tasty Vanilla sexiness outweighs the fact that Vanilla couldn't play flac. I think it would be implemented best by supporting flacs named <lumpname>.flac (ex. D_INTRO.flac) in ~/.chocolate-doom/music/doom.wad/ similar to how savegames are stored.

muffins.exe said:

edit: Blah, never mind. I just checked it again and it works now, for some reason :D

I updated my Bitcomet to the latest version. Maybe this solved something. I'm glad it works.

MikeRS said:

While on this track, what about TNT: Evilution (Plutonia just reuses Doom 1/2 music)? I don't know what sound card the music was made for, if any :/

That's the problem. Did anyone ask TeamTNT about that already? I could record them off the SC-155 as well, though since it was already pointed out that those don't sound that great, I'm not sure if this is what you want.

exp(x) said:

I think it would have more appropriate to bundle it with the Doom 2 music than with some of the random unreleased stuff.

Doom 2's tracks are significantly longer in average than those of Doom 1, therefor requiring about one CD audio alone, which I plan to do.

exp(x) said:

I think it would be implemented best by supporting flacs named <lumpname>.flac (ex. D_INTRO.flac) in ~/.chocolate-doom/music/doom.wad/ similar to how savegames are stored.

You also need loop data, though. The FLAC has to repeat itself while the fading notes and reverb at its ending is still playing. The exact point where the original MIDI ended has to be stored somewhere.

MikeRS said:

LDL: Are you making sure to stay in super-seeder mode until a complete copy is downloaded? It just seems that it's going slower than it should

I have a steady upload at 16 kB/s and several leeches at about 68%. Seems fine to me. I am continuously online for 9 hours and 44 minutes right now. The only interruption were those few minutes when I updated my Bitcomet.

Awesome, it finished downloading overnight. Thanks for the effort into this.

For future reference even though I hear BitComet doesn't support the feature, super-seeding is a mode where you only seed data that no other peers have; this can make the torrent move significantly faster as you aren't sending any duplicate data and the peers have to propagate received data. After you've uploaded one complete copy, however, super-seeding is counter-intuitive to the torrent, as you will no longer be sending any data, and at that point you would have it turned off.

Have an example in FLAC format (4'20", 27.0 MB)

WOW.  What CODOR said.  Very, very impressive — never thought I'd hear MAP23 come so close to sounding good.

I would host them on Doomworld, those MP2s are horribly out of date.

Speaking only for myself, I'm eagerly awaiting this; we've got a nice big firewall here, so no torrenting.

Xeriphas1994 said:

WOW.  What CODOR said.  Very, very impressive — never thought I'd hear MAP23 come so close to sounding good.

I can't follow you. The example only features Doom 1 tracks.

LogicDeLuxe said:

I can't follow you. The example only features Doom 1 tracks.

umm... well, that explains it then.  (Heh, or else I really haven't played with the original music much since I discovered modarchive.com.)  What song starts at around 3'20"?

The ogg links don't seem to work any more. Does anyone have a mirror? I don't want to have to download flacs.

If you host them here, do you think we could get 192k MP3s?

exp(x) said:

I'm re-seeding it here.

Thanks! Will seed to 1000%.

I have TNT's soundtrack. It's only in 160 kb/s mp3 format, though. The program I used to convert the midis ran out on its trial a few months ago. I might be able to upload it tonight.

Jim Rainer: The point is to have high-quality (eg, FLAC) recordings from the hardware the music was designed for. Running MIDIs through some crappy "converter" is something anybody can do (hey, most Doom ports use TiMidity, which standalone can also output to WAVEs).

exp(x) said:

I'm re-seeding it here.

awesome, I'm helping to seed (I'm in the US and was able to download the original torrent anyway :P)

MikeRS said:

I just made an Ogg Vorbis torrent for all that don't want to download FLACs.

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4107934

Thanks for that.

It sounds pretty good. What I'd really love to see is a collection of "original Soundblaster" versions of the songs - someone would need to get an old PC running with a genuine Soundblaster and record each song being played.

fraggle said:

What I'd really love to see is a collection of "original Soundblaster" versions of the songs - someone would need to get an old PC running with a genuine Soundblaster and record each song being played.

Any sound card with a genuine Yamaha OPL2 or OPL3 will do. Both are supported by Doom, iIrc. I did not bother to find out, though, since I don't like the OPL sounds.

Any non-Torrent download? I'm sorry to ask but somehow my ISP seems to block torrents completely. I can't get any access whatsoever to them.