Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Oh well, in fact I wasn't sure that this precise sourceport was allowed =)
Cool so I'll improve this run because it need it, seriously.

K!r4 said:
Cool so I'll improve this run because it need it, seriously.

One thing; Ruma is just "limit removing" and thus works fine with compatibility level 2 (v1.9).

Sorry for the double post : second exit on Ruma for now with 6:22.
Again some mistakes but it look more solid.
As usually, wait the attachment guys ;)

ruma-622-kira.zip

I slightly improved upon K!r4's time with a 5:53 finish. Shouldn't be too difficult to lop another 10 or 20 seconds off that if you deal with the fight at the end better than I did.

What I'd really like to see is a Tyson of this map, but unfortunately it is extremely difficult to get to the blue key with only your fists and pistol let alone the berserk pack. I inevitably get trapped in a corner and bitten to death without ever reaching the key. Perhaps it's possible to lure the spectres through the teleport up to the soul-sphere and telefrag them?

ruma-553.zip

Nice you've got the time I was expecting to do soon, I'll watch it asap =)

In between attempting an NM100S run of ruma (by way of light relief :)) I decided to attempt to improve the max run, and succeeded in getting a time of 5:33 or thereabouts. It could have been 10 or 15 seconds faster if I hadn't missed that imp the first time around.
Enclosed as well is my latest failed attempt at the NM100S, hoping to have a successful run before too long. We'll see.

K!r4, you said you were planning to submit your demo to an archive. If that's the case I'll leave the max run to you, you should be able to get a better time.
Also, I was watching your run earlier and saw that you didn't open the door to the valley straight away and it gave me the idea that you could save quite a lot of time by not opening the door at all, leaving the cacodemons and revenants trapped inside the start area where they would be much easier to deal with at the end. Worth an attempt or two, perhaps.

ruma-533.zip

justanotherfool said:

K!r4, you said you were planning to submit your demo to an archive. If that's the case I'll leave the max run to you, you should be able to get a better time.
Also, I was watching your run earlier and saw that you didn't open the door to the valley straight away and it gave me the idea that you could save quite a lot of time by not opening the door at all, leaving the cacodemons and revenants trapped inside the start area where they would be much easier to deal with at the end. Worth an attempt or two, perhaps.

Thank you, I'll do it at the end of the following week =)
Yeah do not open the door can save a lot of time, if I have enough rockets.

Edit : your failed NM100S is amazing D:

Great ! I'll watch it asap.
About my maxrun on ruma, wait one or two more day : exams are just finished and I'm dead D:

Squonk, that was truly awe-inspiring.

I haven't even attempted to complete my NM100S run for ruma in about 2 weeks, but this evening I attempted to UV-Max 1m02, motivated by the demo of the same map posted a few pages back.
I eventually managed to beat the level in 3:08, which is a slight improvement on the earlier demo. A fun map, getting a decent demo took me far longer than I had anticipated though. Maybe once I've finished that ruma run (if I ever do) I'll do the rest of 1monster.

Looking forward to seeing your UV-Max, K!r4. No pressure.. :)

1m02-308.zip

justanotherfool said:

Looking forward to seeing your UV-Max, K!r4. No pressure.. :)

Tonight I haven't something special to do, so... :)

Sorry for the delay in approving justanotherfool's attached demo. I'm on the road at the moment, and haven't been able to log on for a few days. (This state of affairs will continue until mid-June.)

5:25 max on Ruma
I've finally followed justanotherfool's route because the one with the door being closed is a pain in the ass in regard of the ammos.
In some of my failed attempts I was close to do a 5:00mn or less run, so i'll try again tomorrow.
So nothing more to see than an improvement in the same route (with a lot of noob mistakes).

Edit : Ja wait the attachment doods

rumax-525-kira.zip

It's good to see you're making progress on your maxdemo, K!r4. I'll watch it when the attachment is up, though a 5:0x demo would be even better.
On that note, I finally made a successful NM100S run of ruma. The demo is attached, along with an almost-run where I got gunned down by the CGs in the exit door, which was interesting because the revenants and cacodemons seem not to have teleported in.

Now that I've conquered this beast I imagine that I'll move on to some more 1monster maxdemos, which should hopefully be less stressful :) .

ruma323nm100s.zip

Yeah 5:1x or 5:0x are possible.
Anyway congrats for your nm100s, I'll watch it after some food :)

I have a few maxdemos today, 1m01 in 1:43 and 1m04 in 4:43 or so.
I wasn't able to record a maxdemo in map 03 (the sergeant map) because there was always one sergeant left alive at the end of the level, and I have no idea where it is to be found. Presumably it failed to teleport in, but this has happened every time I got to the end of the map. A demo of my last attempt to find the missing sergeant is enclosed, so find the sergeant if you can :)..
Next up is 1m05, which hopefully shouldn't take too long. Feel free to beat my times, I think 1m04 in particular is ripe for improvement, though it is pretty frustrating due to its cramped nature.

1monsterdemos.zip

justanotherfool said:

I have a few maxdemos today, 1m01 in 1:43 and 1m04 in 4:43 or so.
I wasn't able to record a maxdemo in map 03 (the sergeant map) because there was always one sergeant left alive at the end of the level, and I have no idea where it is to be found. Presumably it failed to teleport in, but this has happened every time I got to the end of the map. A demo of my last attempt to find the missing sergeant is enclosed, so find the sergeant if you can :)..
Next up is 1m05, which hopefully shouldn't take too long. Feel free to beat my times, I think 1m04 in particular is ripe for improvement, though it is pretty frustrating due to its cramped nature.

I accept the challenge to beat your times. =P

1m01 in 1:18 - http://files.filefront.com/DD1M01lmp/;10395554;/fileinfo.html
1m04 in 4:18 - http://files.filefront.com/DD1M04lmp/;10395556;/fileinfo.html

I'm a proponent of Zdoom, so my demos are for Zdoom V2.2, FYI

As far as the 1st sergeant map is concerned, several seargents are teleported using a setup with a scrolling floor, so if the teleport location is occupied when a trap is triggered, they will never teleoport in. I've never gotten 100% kills on that map, so I'm not sure if it's even possible or if it's simply extremely unlikely. You might just have to consider 99% as being complete... =(

Amazing! Obviously I've been overestimating the quality of my own runs, since I didn't think it was possible to improve either of them that far.
I can't watch zdoom demos on this computer, but I'll check them out later tonight at my other computer.
Since you're evidently as skilled a player as you are a mapper, would you care to improve on 3:08 for 1m02? I've also been wondering if a nightmare run is possible on that level, but I've yet to survive past the blue key.

Death-Destiny said:
I'm a proponent of Zdoom, so my demos are for Zdoom V2.2, FYI

Demos are okay with any engine, although time comparisons become harder with any engine differences. Though actually justanotherfool's were already different from K!r4's.

myk said:

Though actually justanotherfool's were already different from K!r4's.

I'm wondering how, justanotherfool record with which sourceport ? Because with complevel isn't it with exactely the same behaviour ? (Though the differences are perhaps the fact that I've recorded using the uncapped framerate).

The Green Herring said:

In the wake of recent demo activity on 1 Monster, I decided to do a demo for it as well, specifically a UV speed demo on MAP05. Check it out.

Wow! That's an great demo TGH. Assuming that no one comes up with an amazing stategy, I don't think that can be improved by but a few seconds. Excellent work! =)

justanotherfool said:

Since you're evidently as skilled a player as you are a mapper, would you care to improve on 3:08 for 1m02? I've also been wondering if a nightmare run is possible on that level, but I've yet to survive past the blue key.

Alright. I've developed a strategy that should get me a UVMax time below 3:00. However, I've only just gotten finished testing it. I'm running out of time today, so I'll give it a few runs tomorrow and check back with you people later to let you know how it went.

K!r4 said:
I'm wondering how, justanotherfool record with which sourceport ? Because with complevel isn't it with exactely the same behaviour ? (Though the differences are perhaps the fact that I've recorded using the uncapped framerate).

Nah, I was being dumb; now I see only his first max is different (plain PrBoom format, I think), but the other demos all use v1.9 as you do, so yeah, they're comparable. Uncapped framerate in PrBoom+ doesn't affect the demo, just the perception of the viewer or player, so that's not a problem.

My first demo used the default complevel, but the other ruma demos have been complevel 2. Does anyone know what the lowest complevel I can get away with recording 1monster demos in is? I have a feeling it must be lower than the default.
Don't expect the 1m05 max I said I was going to do for a while. I'm trying to see if I can improve on DD's times. Improving on his 1m01 is proving very difficult, the best time I've managed so far is 1:19 (not posted), which is a second off. Haven't even reattempted 1m04 yet.

Well done to TGH for his excellent 1m05 run, can we expect any other 1m speedruns? :)

justanotherfool said:
Does anyone know what the lowest complevel I can get away with recording 1monster demos in is? I have a feeling it must be lower than the default.

Boom compatibility (level 9) should work fine for it.

Okay, so the 1m02 sub-3:00 UVmax speedrun is not being successful. Through testing with savegames, my srategy has gotten the clock to read as low as 2:56, so it's annoying that I can't even do a straight run 3 seconds slower. >=(

Anyway, 3:02 was as low as I could get on a real run: http://files.filefront.com/DD1m021LMP/;10408703;/fileinfo.html, recorded with Zdoom V2.2

I think I'll leave the sub-3:00 run to you guys. I actually think I might try a UVmax on ruma after a make another DP map. =D

myk said:

Demos are okay with any engine, although time comparisons become harder with any engine differences. Though actually justanotherfool's were already different from K!r4's.

I understand this. Since even having different compatibility settings would make the demos uncomparable in the strictest sense, I just don't worry about it and record however is most convienient. That's why I kind of just nonchalantly post my demos here without following standard convention. =P People can appreciate a good demo when they see it. =)

Yeah this thread haven't a board with classements anyway. Still I hate how ZDoom demos are incompatible with others versions...
So I'll watch your ones before a new ZDoom release :P

justanotherfool said:

Well done to TGH for his excellent 1m05 run, can we expect any other 1m speedruns? :)

Yeah. I did a UV max for MAP03 in 1:46 earlier today, but I'm not sure I want to upload it just yet. Instead, here's a UV speed / pacifist demo of MAP31. I saw the new Indiana Jones movie today, so I felt it was appropriate (given who the villains of his previous films were...)

1m31-020 - 1 Monster (1monster.wad) MAP31: Castle Dorkenstein by Dutch Devil in :20 (UV speed / pacifist)

My apparent lack of demo activity as of late is the result of my working on two separate UV speed demo packs: one for the 1994 Doom level compilation WADPAK2; and one for the 1998 Doom II megawad Mars War. Both of those have just a few levels left, but some of them are going to be rather hard to do. Hopefully, I can get them done sometime soon...

I have some more demos. I was still unable to beat DD's 1m01, but I've attached my best time, 1:19, in case anyone's interested.

I had more success with 1m04, and after about 30 mins managed to improve upon the time, which now stands at 4:00. Some sloppy moments though, so I think improving it further shouldn't be too difficult.

I may see if I can get below 3:00 on 1m02. I think leaving the imps in the blue key room alone until you get the SSG could save some time, though it is quite dangerous to have them at your back when you force your way out.

Death Destiny: If you want to do ruma, how about a tyson :)? That would be really impressive, and I think the only really difficult part would be the room with the berserk pack. Anyway, I'm sure I'll appreciate whatever you come up with.

1mdemos.zip.zip

Okay, so here's the sub-5:00 Ruma UVmax I promised you people. I got it in 4:56 actually. I'm a follower of the "open-the-door" route, btw, and only performed my route slightly differently than Kira's. ;)

As always, recorded with Zdoom V2.2: http://files.filefront.com/DDruma1LMP/;10423257;/fileinfo.html

Before I even think about doing a tyson run on Ruma, I'd better make that DP map; I still haven't made the one I was supposed to make before doing this run. I've really forgotten how much fun demo-running is. =D