Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Worst Boss Battle (ever?)

the pieces of shit in Duke Nukem. They were divorced from the other characters in terms of difficulty. Theyw ere damned impossible to beat, the kick the head through teh goalposts thing at the end was kinda funny though. But I hated it, no BFG to help you out.

DEVASTATOR DUMMY

That thing kills the last boss in about 4 seconds. You barely even have to try.

I dislike the Icon of Sin as a boss, because I prefer to fight the bosses. I hate figuring out what the 'trick' about the boss is. I'd rather have a boss, which is difficult to fight, but just requires you to send enough destruction in its direction to take it down.

So far, only the Cyberdemon has proven to be a satisfying boss.

Then maybe you like the bosses in the fighting games, like MK? They are basically tough characters to fight.

When I wrote "fighting" I meant shooting at a moving target, which shoots back at you (and which takes damage from your attacks mind you).
And no, I've come to dislike fighting games. They all seem the same in my eyes - but then again: FPSs all seem the same too, so maybe it's just me.

the pieces of shit in Duke Nukem. They were divorced from the other characters in terms of difficulty. Theyw ere damned impossible to beat, the kick the head through teh goalposts thing at the end was kinda funny though. But I hated it, no BFG to help you out.

DEVASTATOR DUMMY

That thing kills the last boss in about 4 seconds. You barely even have to try.

That wasn't the one that I was really getting at. Perversely, the bosses got easier as the game went on. I was more thinking of that one in the first episode, one of the worst sprites I have ever seen btw. It looked like a cartoon caricature.

My devastator really could get rid of it in four seconds when I let loose on the .con files!

Heh, I had a couple of .cons for the LAN parties. First there was "normal", "realistic", "God Wars", "Explosive" and "Kung-Fu". :)

Quake1's final boss "Sub Niggurath" or whatever his name was, was the worst boss there EVER were and will forever stay the worst. I was living under the illusion that such lameness was not possible until I faced him for the first and last time.

Quake1's final boss "Sub Niggurath" or whatever his name was, was the worst boss there EVER were and will forever stay the worst. I was living under the illusion that such lameness was not possible until I faced him for the first and last time.

True, that boss was the worst possible end to an otherwise excellent game (except maybe if it had been a huge Ralphis clown...)

True, that boss was the worst possible end to an otherwise excellent game (except maybe if it had been a huge Ralphis clown...)

Shub Niggurath was female.

In a way she's like the Icon Of Sin: just an object, and the trick is not to defeat it by firepower, but by trick. What's difficult is what surrounds it. Meh. The boss of the first episode in Quake, Chthon was his name, was basically the only real thing which could be called a boss, although he was also very lame.

And also:

Has anyone seen that "beta" version of Quake, where the last level with Shub Niggurath is different? I never understood what was supposed to be done in that level.

It's always pissed me off how there were only two bosses on Quake...and they were both weak as hell. I usualy beat Cthon withou getting hurt at all, and I rarely die in Shub-Niggurath's pit. Too easy...its those damnable blobs that always get me.

Quake is generally too easy overall. I finished the first episode on nightmare in one sitting (no deaths) the first time I played the game. The first time I played doom on nightmare I died in the zigzag room in e1m1... and that was after beating e1 on ultraviolence several times.

It's a shame, quake really has the looks and potential for a great atmosphere. A cyberdemon-like monster with high hp, wielding those deadly quake-rockets would've spiced the game up imo. The shambler is just a lamer version of the arch-vile and it often gets stuck or gets bugged aim (just look at e1m3 in qdq 100%, lame, lame...

Heh, I had a couple of .cons for the LAN parties. First there was "normal", "realistic", "God Wars", "Explosive" and "Kung-Fu". :)

LAN parties, heh, I remember those long nights at Arena when I was 14, 15. Good times. We played Shadow Warrior and Duke. Yeah, we brought our own .con files, but usually one of us had managed to edit something wrong so the game dumped at the i_init. Plus we got barred more than once for throwing hot dogs/ assorted other crap at our opposition during Dukematch... lol, good days.

DAMN IT ZALDRON YOU SENT ME ON A CHEESY NOSTALGIA TRIP!!

Erik, yeah they could've done a lot more in Quake but damn they were re-inventing the FPS. Did you ever looked into their primitive tools for modelling/animating? Fucking scary, not to talk about unwrapping the model for skinning. What they managed is by far more difficult than the whole DOOM/DOOM2 art.

I don't know you people, but the idea of facing Fiends, Shamblers and Vorids all the time is far worse than a rather-gigantic boss at the end of the chapter.

I remember walking very slowly throught those hallways on The Netherworld, hearing the creatures, properly placed under some column's shadow. Quake didn't need to take advantage of large enemies crowds and big bosses, it was something else that required a lot of strategy, and eventually turned into today's "plot-driven" FPSs.

it was something else that required a lot of strategy, and eventually turned into today's "plot-driven" FPSs.

Today's "plot-driven" FPSs also tend to suck.

</end dubiously well supported opinion>

...And today's plot-driven FPS tend to get very annoying after a while, which is why people play Doom and hate Quake :)

Who says that? The guys at this forum? :)
I finished Deus Ex 2 times more than Doom. I finished Shogo, SoF, Half-Life, Alice and RtCW at least 2 times, while I've never finished DooM 2.

I'd rather play Quake right now. In fact, I'd rather play Medal of Honor right now. And whoever says that game sucks is a pathetic excuse of a gamer.

It's not about a decrease in quality, hell, just take a look at Doom, an objective, present look at the game and then tell me. It's just that we're jaded gamers.

Hate Quake? You must be a newbie or loser skilled player at the game if your saying that ;/.....Doom is just as mad original as Quake 1 is....But Quake 2 on the other hand is a different story :)

I've never finished DooM 2.

Yay! I'm not the only one!

Me neither, although I've played it a lot, trying to do speedruns (unsuccessfully), starting levels from scratch (I can do maps 07, 08, 19, 29 and 30 off the top of my head). I really like Doom 2, so I oughtta just run through it one of these days.

Me neither, although I've played it a lot, trying to do speedruns (unsuccessfully), starting levels from scratch (I can do maps 07, 08, 19, 29 and 30 off the top of my head). I really like Doom 2, so I oughtta just run through it one of these days.

Well, MAP30, from scratch, not from scratch, is exactly the same.

I've just thought of a cool title:

"I can't beat MAP01 from scratch with -nomonsters"

It would probably be too long, we may have to ditch the -nomonsters.

Well, MAP30, from scratch, not from scratch, is exactly the same.

...Which is another reason that's the worst Doom 2 map :p