Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

It's quite possible the version I have on my demo recording computer is out of date, I'll get the latest version from the archive and use it. At least the other levels haven't been affected, it seems.

I should have a maxdemo of 1m15 before very long, but I keep on being eaten by unseen spectres. Maybe I'll try again later this evening.

Seems I was using an out of date version, since the one I had on my other computer was a little smaller in size than the archive's version. Henceforth I shall be using the correct version.

I finally managed a maxdemo of 1m15, which is an evil, evil map, but one that I quite like all the same. Time is 10:59, since the weaponry on this level is very limited, but there should be considerable room for improvement.

The next few maps will probably not take as long as this one to max, but you can be sure I'm leaving Cacophony 'til last :) .

1m15-1059.zip

Quite; I remember when I had the best time and couldn't reach the 1:30 mark. This demo beats the TAS demo by a good margin, even.

Did a 1 monster demo. After watching the map15 maxdemo, I thought I'd take a shot at improving it. Got a time of 9:01. Breaking 9 minutes is possible due to the mistakes in the run.

Attaching the demo now.

1m15-901.zip

Two more 1 monster demos I did today. UV-Speed of map 24, "The One God", in 2:08. Other one is a UV-Max of map 10, "Un-named118", in 6:14. Both could be improved by around 5+ seconds I reckon.

Attaching zipfile now.

1m-demos.zip

Anima: Actually, I already did a maxdemo of 1m10, which you can see further up the page. The time is 4:59. We have maxdemos by one person or another for every map up to 16, with the exception of 1m03 (TGH did a demo, but it hasn't been posted).

Your 1m15 maxdemo was fantastic, by the way.

EDIT: I tried watching my maxdemo again and it went out of sync, since I'd been using the incorrect version of the wad. I suppose that makes yours the only proper demo. I hope this hasn't happened to my other earlier demos, otherwise I'll have to retread a lot of old ground. At least I do now have the correct version of the wad.

I see they added 5 PEs to UV for the final version. Anyway, if you do want to see the demo then you should use the last link in the 1monster thread to get the version I was using for recording at that stage. I imagine using the same tactics as I did there should lead to a similar time, although I don't know how much the level has changed.

justanotherfool said:

EDIT: I tried watching my maxdemo again and it went out of sync, since I'd been using the incorrect version of the wad. I suppose that makes yours the only proper demo. I hope this hasn't happened to my other earlier demos, otherwise I'll have to retread a lot of old ground. At least I do now have the correct version of the wad.

I haven't watched all of your stuff yet, but the only ones I've watched that did go out of sync were map07 and map11. The others worked fine or have not been watched.

I'm a bit too busy ATM to make the Zdoom variants of these demos, so you people will have to wait a while longer. BTW, do we want to do the Wolfenstein map next, since we did the map from which it can be accessed?

OK, The 1monster wad I am using is dated Oct. 29. and the one in the archive I just downloaded is dated Oct. 23. Which is the "official" mapset that most everyone is using??

I had sync probs with Anima's newest map 10 run yet justanotherfools run work perfectly on that map.

Can anyone tell me which is the "official mapset?"

Yeah, the one in the archive is the first release, and the one on Ichor's site seems to be an incomplete update to make a second release... by what's said on the thread it appears that it wasn't completed (additional changes were planned). I guess the one in the archive is "official", simply because it was really "released" while the other one is a development version (even if it's newer).

OK, Cool. So is everyone using the archive version for these demos?

I'd like to be able to play the scant few demos that have sync problems.

Searcher said:
So is everyone using the archive version for these demos?

Now everyone is, I think, but some were recorded with the beta version (justanotherfool's earlier ones). If one desynchs, try the other wad.

I have another demo here for 1monster.

I was going to do "Zumma", the map with 370 CGs on UV, but my version of prboom plus seems to crash a lot on that level. Even when I went through with god mode on to make sure I didn't die while scouting the level out, it crashed before I could get past the blue key switch. I don't remember the error message now, but I'm pretty sure the error number was 11.

So I decided to do "Bony Encounter", the revenant map, instead. I thought it might be difficult, but it was worse than anticipated... Still, the demo is of reasonable quality.

1m20-736.zip

Another demo..

This time it's 1m22, "Triad of the Minds", which is (strangely enough :)) the spiderdemon map, and is unusual in that you need to traverse a series of obstacles (avoiding gunfire as you go) before you can kill the masterminds.

Next up will be the second archvile map and the secret map.

1m22-313.zip

Today I have a maxdemo for 1m31 (SS).

I was trying to record a demo for 1m23, but there were some problems. When you hit the switch in the red key area I believe 10 or more archviles are meant to teleport in. However, both times I tried it nothing happened, meaning I couldn't obtain 100% kills. The port is prboom-plus (2.4.8.2) (win32) as usual, with complevel 9.

I'd be interested to know if this is a port specific problem or something else.

1m31-404.zip

Here are demos for two of the maps I reviewed for newstuff/. Hopefully, you will enjoy them.

ZEUS-TGH - Demos for ZEUS.WAD by Stephen Renton, including:

• ZEUS-015 - UV speed in :15
  • ZEUSn015 - NM speed in :15
  • ZEUS-203 - UV max in 2:03
  • ZEUSs020 - NM100S in :20
SNYP-TGH - Demos for SNYPER.WAD by Snyper, including:
  • SNYP-046 - UV speed in :46
  • SNYP-207 - UV max in 2:07

I may as well post a maxdemo that I did 3 or 4 weeks ago but never got around to uploading.

The map is Pirate Nipple's first map, which can be found in the most recent edition of newstuff.

EDIT: I was playing the original Phocas Island on UV a few days ago, and I can't believe how difficult it is. I couldn't finish it on UV without cheating. In fact I can't think of any more difficult map (not a lot of room to manoeuvre, ammo is VERY tight).
Consequently, I'd like to throw down the gauntlet to anyone who thinks they're hard enough :) . Record a UVMax and/or UVSpeed demo if you can.
You might want to use the old version of zdoom mentioned in the text file, since the rope bridge doesn't seem to be traversable with 2.20. I have a feeling it would work with an older version, although I haven't checked. Failing that, you can always idclip across the bridge.

pnipp2-449.zip

I remember this wad very well, played it soon after it was released (in '98 or so), had to use many savegames :) I didn't realize it wasn't in the archive all this time. When I saw your post, I put the phones on, ready to watch the demos... but the atachment still wasn't there, bah! But now I watched 'em, and I'm impressed, good job!

These maps remind me a lot of my fav on HR : map25.
I love especialy the second map, and you made a great maxrun on it !

WAD: One Park Avenue by Steve Baldwin
UV-Max in 10:33
UV-Speed in 0:08
Demos: 1PARK2-maxspeed-tod.zip

WAD: Shoot! by Chris Hansen
UV-Speed in 0:08

WAD: AAAAHHHH NUTS!!! by Mike Wiesenauer (deldelda)
map02 UV-Max in 10:44
map02 UV-Speed in 3:39
Demos: AAHHNUTS-map02maxspeed-tod-zd220.zip (recorded with ZDoom 2.2.0)

Edit: justanotherfool, I can't seem to find the version of Pirate Nipple's wad that you used to record your demo with (pnipple2.wad)?

Hmm, I didn't know that the version in #idgames was different from the one I was using. I do this a lot.. :)

I'll post the version I used a little later for anyone who wants to see the demo.

EDIT: Here I have a link to the thread PN started to get feedback about the map. The version I used was the updated (second) version.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/43320-never-released-anything-can-i-get-feedback-on-this/

Haha, Oopsie was fun! On the egde between life and death till taking that megasphere =)
Due to a perplexing layout 1park tired me to hell, how could you play this map at all? And looks like i need an upgrade to be able to watch aahhnuts demo, since it's like 1fps all the time :/. Hm, guess i can fix this problem. Will try tomorrow, then maybe will edit this post.

jongo said:
And looks like i need an upgrade to be able to watch aahhnuts demo, since it's like 1fps all the time :/. Hm, guess i can fix this problem. Will try tomorrow, then maybe will edit this post.

Try a lower resolution, at least. I have a pretty old system (666 MHz) for Dooming and it played almost without lag using 640x400 and maxed low detail without the extra ZDoom junk (decals, rocket trails, &c). Not that I changed anything for the demo, as that's what I generally have when I use ZDoom engines.

myk said:

I have a pretty old system (666 MHz) for Dooming

Was it intentional ? :P
It reminds me this old quote from #nightmare :

<+myk> @seen ocelot
<@Schwarzie> ocelot (ossen@hki2-3-4-67.hoasnet.inet.fi) was last seen quitting from #nightmare 6 days, 6 hours, 6 minutes ago stating ().

I had a compulsion to do a UVMax of Scythe2 Map20. I've been wanting to make a flute and strings MIDI for a map I'm working on, and I think I wanted to listen to the stringwork on that map's MIDI, or something. =/

Anyways, the demo was actually pretty quick, so I might as well share it with those interested. Lotsa Cyb missiles to dodge... almost got nailed by one a couple of times. At least all sins are forgiven once you get the Megasphere. The demo is not perfect like me (;-P), but it's still fun to watch. I've been meaning to add a demo section to my website, so this can be the first one, I guess. No luck so far on "The Mucus Flow" demo... so many freakin' Pain Elementals. That one will take more work.

Anyway, Here's Scythe2 Map20 UVMax in 9:18 - Download, recorded with PrBoom V2.4.8.2 -complevel 9