Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RTC_Marine

Opening IWADs

If you open an IWAD file with XWE, the header inside the file gets converted to a PWAD.

This causes problems when trying to play the game afterwards.

I don't think that's going to get fixed any time soon. I do think there's an option to disable back-ups that might get rid of that, but then XWE won't back your PWADs up either. Mark your IWADs as read-only, for a work-around.

EDIT: Oh wait, I remembered this may be due to an optional feature. Try disabling the "Automatically create a backup file when a WAD file is opened" option.

See the edit, which might offer a better solution.

Confirmed, I'm a XWE opened WAD copy/paste addict.
Found this 2 years ago while trying to solve IWAD automatic conversion issue...

If you shut XWE without copying current active work, then you'll see the size of your WAD change to a really smaller size and a generated backup file...
So don't shut it by common reflex to press the upper right corner cross, copy/paste first, then "file / quit".

Sometimes XWE leaves my IWADs alone, othertimes it rewrites them as PWADs while also leaving the original as back-up. In this case, what I do is merely restoring the original.

I wouldn't attribute my IWADs as read-only, because then Dmgraph or Dmaud won't read them anymore.

How come "don't leave backups" is a solution?

Because when that is enabled XWE cleans (thus modifies) the WAD and creates a back-up as soon as you open it.

If you disable the "Automatically create a backup file when a WAD file is opened" option, it does the clean-up and creates the back-up only if and after you've made any changes to the WAD (and when closing it). In this case, if you don't modify the WAD, XWE doesn't change it at all.

Wow. Having backups enabled mean that any file you load will be unnecessarily modified is definitely not something that I would expect. It's kind of like having a button that says "Safe to push" that is wired to a bundle of TNT.

Quasar said:

It's kind of like having a button that says "Safe to push" that is wired to a bundle of TNT.

Well, now that you mention it...

/me puts button away

Quasar said:

It's kind of like having a button that says "Safe to push" that is wired to a bundle of TNT.

Why? Because some day it may crash up?

EDIT: Haha, I don't have that damned version which does that!

printz said:

Why? Because some day it may crash up?

No, because you expect that option to keep your wads safe and instead it has the effect of messing up your IWADs.

Older versions don't have this feature, only the latest beta.

Another issue this causes is modifying PWADs and thus rendering them unusable for online multiplayer.

It's better to disable the feature that modifies WADs each time they're opened. I'll probably make a sticky of this and the other issue where some steps need to be taken in Vista or the like to get it to work, soon.