Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Great, I remember Gusta's ones were desynching.
Do you plan to do sc2-27 one of these days ? It would be an awesome maxdemo (because it's way one of the harder maps on the famous megawads).

K!r4 said:

Do you plan to do sc2-27 one of these days ? It would be an awesome maxdemo (because it's way one of the harder maps on the famous megawads).

We'll see. I'll have to see if I can develop a strategy to do that one efficiently. Everything I can think of ATM involves dodging more projectiles than I'd think would be practical, so I'll probably have to wait for a bout of inspiration or something.

While you wait, you can watch these instead. I made a few demos of "Death" to get me in the feel of Scythe2's last episode. They're not too shabby. In addition to a UVMax and a UVSpeed, I also wanted to do a Tyson run. However, I doubt you can tyson those uber-barons though (if you can, I haven't figured out how. =[) I think "tysoning an Afrit" and "suicide" have the same definition... =S

Scythe2 Map 26 UVSpeed in 42 seconds
Scythe2 Map 26 UVMax in 4:40

Both recorded with PrBoom V2.4.8.2 -complevel 9

Download

I've watched a lot of these and they're great.

On scythe2 map 27 there are a couple pretty major exploits I've noticed but its still a nightmare to piece it all together in what would be the quickest route, let alone do it without dying. One is the blocking sound lines. I only messed around with iddqd but try this: after you pass the lowered bars at the start, don't shoot at all (to avoid waking teleporting enemies). Get the guns and possibly head toward that vile and immediately run all the way up into the chaingunner warp (you can warp without killing the chaingunner but hard to not get a vile blast). This will trigger the cacos to warp later, however they won't warp yet because they havn't heard you shoot. Get the yellow key and berzerk, then run past all the mancubuses out the door at top (risky again). Once you're inside that door you can shoot again because there's more blocking linedefs. I havn't really formed a strategy yet, but the point is that the huge army won't spawn now (except the afrit) since you haven't woken them up. I guess you could possibly infight them later by opening/closing the door a crack from the other side, but there is a vile that will resurrect. Possibly kill all the lesser enemies and get the afrit to infight the cyber. Meanwhile head over to that switch opening door and (2nd exploit) immediately run in WHILE its still 16 pixels high and lowering (this will prevent it from raising again- not sure if that exploit would even help). I guess shoot to wake up everyone in there then run out (now the door will raise with them trapped in). Get the rocket launcher and kill whoever won the infight then head back and re-switch the door and rocket everyone inside.

If you really want, it seems possible to get all the way to the blue key without waking up any of that second teleporting army (maybe by using a vile blast jump over the ledge). Whenever you get that invulnerability THEN shoot so everyone starts teleporting in and just try to infight as many as possible while invincible maybe.

edit: now I saw the s2 27 max and speed demos on page 11 & 15 here (page 11 has a 2nd faster one further down). I'm not sure if not waking teleporting enemies up would be faster or not:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/32322-scythe2-demos/11/

I haven't had all that much time or motivation for demo recording recently, but I've put together a small collection of demos for ruma and the first two levels of Vile Flesh.
I really wanted to beat Adam W.'s UV-Max times, but they were just too good. Hopefully I'll have more luck with later levels.

EDIT: I thought it might be a good idea to provide a list of all the demos in the attachment with times.
vf01 UV-Speed 0:27
vf01 UV-Max 1:00 (Grr!)
vf02 UV-Speed 1:31
vf02 UV-Max 2:56
vf02 UV-Tyson 5:21 (5:23 maybe?)
ruma UV-Speed 1:5x (Can't even remember my own times...)

jafdemos.zip

justanotherfool said:

I really wanted to beat Adam W.'s UV-Max times, but they were just too good. Hopefully I'll have more luck with later levels.

You shouldn't have any problems with MAP23 :P

justanotherfool: According to the text-file, you have used -complevel 5. This gives you a Dosdoom .47 demo, which is rather a bad idea.

If you are looking to record a Boom demo (which some, but not all, Vile Flesh maps need), then you should use -complevel 9.

To record a Doom2.exe demo, use -complevel 2.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/31839-using-prboom-plus-and-complevels/

I have a UV-Speed demo for vf04, time is 0:47.

EDIT: Just watched your maxdemo, ToD. Good work! The tightly packed apartments of that map may not be very much fun to roam about in, but they make for some entertaining fights. You were very brave with the RL as well. I don't think I'd dare to use it in such close confines.

vf04s-47.zip

Thanks, and nice speedy demos yourself. :)

Here's an improved max on my new "awful" map SQUANE in 8:22 (recorded with ZDoom 2.2.0). The lightbulb monster says, "Hi, nice to spam you."

TimeOfDeath said:

nah, I'm just a spammer who can rjump. :)

Edit: and make awful maps... *glares at some of the /idgames comments*

But I like your maps. =( Here, I'll make a demo of Squane sometime soon if it fits my schedule to make you feel better. =)

gggmork said:
tod- I just edited to include the now 'faster' one (even though both died at the very end). I might try phocas island eventually, probably after death destiny's new map.

I think you broke something there; your old attachment seems to be gone and the new one does not work. To make additional attachments, make new posts for them, and use underscores instead of spaces in the names.

Indeed; it is just one attachment per post. And if you modify it, it needs to be approved again.

But I'd ask that once a demo file has been made available, it is left available, or else confusion will ensue.

I'll also take this opportunity to remind people that a demo zip should always include a text-file. This text-file should include at least the following:

• Name of player
  • iwad and pwad(s) (if any)
  • category
  • exe used and demo format (e.g. doom2.exe-compatible, etc.)

Well I finally beat it so here's the 21:35 uv max for scythe 2 map 27 which could've been a minute-ish faster if I succeeded last time.. if you're not sick of watching it yet.
I didn't want to make a separate post for the previous run that was just a failure anyway, but now I know its limit 1 attachment per post. Those previous files had underscores (dashes actually I think) but the folder itself didn't.
I put in a text file even though I think its an unnecessary hassle when the lmp title itself can contain all that information (though noted that its supposedly best for the lmp title to only be 8 characters for dos or whatever.. if 8 are even enough for a run over 10 minutes on a double digit map # (already = 6 characters) anyway . I guess its not that time consuming to copy/paste a text file from a template.

scythe2_27_gggmork_uvmax_2135.zip

Yeh, and i like watching demos by one press of enter, regardless of where the demo is, instead of moving a file in doom folder and then typing long line (or dragging and dropping). That's why it is better to use usual name conventions instead of 30-letter ones.
21 minute is cool, looking forward to see that!

Here's an improved max on my new "awful" map SQUANE in 8:22

That owns!

Anima Zero said:

Did a UV-Max for map 1 of Morbid DooMer's Unknown Project. Time for the demo is 8:15.
Attaching the demo now.

Thanks for the demo. With some route tuning I got today 7:43 (UVmax for m01 unknown.wad)

http://hitherto-dm.narod.ru/misclmps/unk1-743.zip (not a direct link)
http://e1m2.net/hth/demos/unk1-743.zip

PS Altima, try to play this wad with software renderer (how the author planned). Its bit more difficult, but looks much better.

Oh wow nice demos of my mapset, I really enjoyed watching the two from Anima Zero and Hitherto.I like the walktrough written by Anima Zero, very interesting stuff to read.

Alright, I finally got the bout of inspiration for Scythe2 MAP27. The strategy I used is perhaps a little bizarre, but it seems to work. I'm not sure if it's the fastest one, but it's pretty quick nonetheless. I panicked fighiting the very last Cyb and almost died, but managed to keep 1 HP long enough to complete the demo. :)

Anyways, this one's pretty nice, IMO, so I hope we're not tired of Scythe2 yet.

Scythe2 MAP 27 UVMax in 18:55 - DOWNLOAD

That was very entertaining to watch after attempting it so much DD. You're crazy to circle that last cyber so closely (you probably wanted to get 1% on purpose as a bonus goal). All those cacos are triggered from that chaingunner warp, so its quite easy to teleport without triggering them, especially with the chaingunner still there probably (if those cacos came out sooner it probably would have been even faster as they'd infight the mancs). Good idea to rocket everyone from the megasphere. I was surprised the sound blocking tactic ended up being so fast, but trying to get that afrit to infight the horde doesn't work very well because he floats higher than them and rarely hits them (plus I don't know if his 'reverent' missiles count as hits against reverents). Another bug with this level is, on those pillars leading to the plasma, you can fall behind one and get permanently stuck. On that main battle with 2 cybers and an afrit, I telefragged the afrit a couple times but its too risky and rare and probably wouldn't save that much time.
Awesome squane demo too (that level is pure hell, not mererly being 'revealed' anymore).

Excellent demo Death destiny, GGGMork and other guys :)
BTW , death destiny
do u have any record for your map in Dark Resolution 2008 V2 level 10-11 ??
(The Soulscarred Universe and lich)
i would like to see these two map's UV-Max run :)
thanks you

Did a HMP-Max for Death-Destiny's latest level, Elysion. With some route/strategy tweaking, I scored a time of 16:57, more than 3 minutes quicker than DD's demo. It's still very improvable though by at least 20 seconds or so since things start getting a little sloppy as I get near the RSK.

Attaching the demo now.

elys1657.zip