Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

justanotherfool said:
This time I did vf06,

The ZIP seems corrupted. I downloaded it twice and it didn't work in either case.

Hmmm, not sure why that would be. Since I now also have a speedrun for vf07 (2:49 or thereabouts), I'll attach a zip containing the vf06 demos and the new one. Hopefully it'll work this time, since none of the individual demos are corrupted as far as I can tell.

stillmorevileflesh.zip

Yeah, all those are fine, thanks. I gather something happened to the previous ZIP during the upload.

I hope you won't find me boring, still getting stuck with iwads...
But Guiddqd and me just recorded uDoom episode 1 in nightmare! speed, time is 7:40. So we beat Vincent and Selim's time by 45s. We used prboom, though.

You should all play coop, it's far better than running alone. Fails are so funny.

Squonk said:
I hope you won't find me boring, still getting stuck with iwads...

Nah, keep 'em coming and thanks for sharing; I personally love IWAD runs. Not to mention I agree coop is awesome!

Looking forward to this one. Grabbing it now.
My times average about 25 min. So it seems pretty fast to me. I play way to conservatively.

I think Death-Destiny might have designed/tested those maps with ZDoom?

Here are a couple demos and a couple movies:

ggg001.zip by gggmork
map01 uv-max in 29:22 (same demo I posted in his thread in wads&mods)

La Ciudad Necropolis (Necropolis City) - ncrpolis.zip - by Omar
map01 uv-max in 4:03

Stranded Coop - strcoopa.zip - by Dennis "Exl" Meuwissen
uv-max movie in 21:38 (recorded with ZDoom 2.2.0)
4 maps (infinite ammo warning)

Chip's Doom Challenge - chips19.zip - Chip's Challenge remake by me
speed movie in 20:43 (recorded with ZDoom 2.2.0)
19 maps

Oh, and if you're going to record multiple maps in a demo with ZDoom 2.2.0, you gotta turn off screen wipes or else your demo might/will desync!

TimeOfDeath said:

I think Death-Destiny might have designed/tested those maps with ZDoom?

You're right. While I obviously tested them in Boom to make sure they work since the project was Boom-compatible, I did most of my testing in Zdoom. The reason for that was that I put a ton of Archies in those maps, and Zdoom Archie-jumps are like 4 times as high as regular ones, so I wanted to make sure the player couldn't Archie-jump past everything since a lot of people would no doubt play it in Zdoom.

Anyways, thanks for those demos Anima and gggmork. They were a lot of fun to watch. =D In Abyssion, it was a good idea to fire the BFG early at the end to get a headstart from the Cybs. The Elysion demo was really well done. I liked how you climbed over those boxes to get away from the yellow key ambush, gggmork. You've been making good use of that 180 degree turn key. I've never tried it before, but it looks very useful.

BTW, gggmork and Anima, you guys have made some really nice demos for may maps. You wouldn't mind if I included some of them in the .zips for my maps, would you? I think it would be neat if the demos were there so people who download the maps in the future could have them already to watch. =)

Also. gggmork, I've got this ridiculous strategy for your ggg001 map. So far, I've died 100% of the time (ha ha :3), but if I iron out a few more kinks, I expect an insane time.

You mean you actually die sometimes when you play this game? The 180 degree turn key is fun to use and its my only hope to compete with mouse users (do you use keyboard only too anima?). I prefer the 'digital' gameplay of keys over an analogue mouse but I've never made a serious mouse effort so can't say for sure. Pretty much anyone can use my demos/maps for anything and don't have to credit me or ask.

I didn't know there were flippers hidden under a box in chips challenge map 18..

gggmork said:

You mean you actually die sometimes when you play this game? The 180 degree turn key is fun to use and its my only hope to compete with mouse users (do you use keyboard only too anima?).

At first, I used to be keyboard only. I switched to keyboard + mouse sometime ago. Playing Hexen alot during that time probably helped me quite a bit :P.

Death-Destiny: Feel free to add my demos to your zips, I don't mind.

I come bearing a few demos for vf08. I wasn't able to beat Adam W.'s UV-Max record. My own time is slower by 6 seconds.
I also did a speedrun in 1:10, which is, I think, a pretty good time and a considerable improvement over my initial time of 1:28.

vf08.zip

Good demo. I think you could improve the time further by running past some of the monsters in the end tunnel, which is probably what you said in the text file. It might be best to use doom2 v1.9 for any AV demos, though, since you can claim a slot at compet-n.

I have a speedrun for vf09. It wasn't as painful as vf07, but the hitscanners near the start got very annoying after a while. The lost soul room was also a bit of an ordeal. Time is relatively good, I think, but not optimal. Actually a pretty fun map once you get past the beginning.

vf09s-226.zip

I don't claim a compet-n record yet. I got a few records to get under doom.exe but i have to move my lazy ass to win98 :D

Here's a maxdemo for vf09 (4:15). Happily I was able to beat the standing time by some 18 seconds, with some route improvements. A few close calls here as well, if you like that kind of thing.

I might have cut off 3 or 4 secs more if I'd noticed that I had some cells remaining at the end... :(

vf09-415.zip

justanotherfool said:

You could try DOSBox if you can't be bothered to change your OS.

That's not allowed on compet-n, and I don't see any interest for him to record on doom.exe if it's not for the C-N

The reason why people started recording on Windows NT systems without sound some time back (Vile did this, for example) is because back then DOSBox wasn't optimized enough, especially for the weaker systems that existed a few years ago, and not because OS emulation isn't allowed. I'm pretty sure Adam Williamson used DOSEMU for COMPET-N, even back when Adam Hegyi was still around.

Some people do use the DOS engines to record even non-COMPET-N demos. I do (though I haven't done anything lately) and so do Hitherto and Donce, at least.

Well, Vincent told me that a while ago, and since I saw that on Speed Demos Archive dosbox isn't allowed too (cause you can speed up or slow down the application, if I recall correctly)...
What you say surprise me, actually. I'll check what SDA's rules say about that as soon as the site is on again.

The SDA is running fine now. It doesn't actually have any restrictions to what demos may be submitted, only that if any TAS functions are used, they should be mentioned explicitly (the SDA contains a TAS specific section, after Doug took over the TAS demos site).

Changing the speed of the system is expressly disallowed for COMPET-N by rule, but that is possible on plain DOS as well. The rule was added way before emulation even existed, after people found out a couple of runners had used the exploit.

I was talking about this Speed Demos Archive

Virtualization: We will NOT accept speedruns recorded on emulators (ZSNES, VBA, DOSBox, etc.) or other virtualization software (Wine, VMware, etc.). Emulators commonly allow for recording games frame-by-frame and then playing back the input at normal speed. Also, most emulators and virtualization programs have minor inaccuracies in timing and slowdown that inhibit accurate comparisons between runs. Finally, it is generally illegal in most countries to obtain ROMs. Note that an exception is made for officially sanctioned emulators such as the Game Boy Player for GameCube, Virtual Console, or GameTap. Due to problems with many official emulators, however, we prefer that you play on the original hardware whenever possible.

Anyway, you seems to be right. Well, I learned something today (again and again :)

Squonk said:
I was talking about this Speed Demos Archive

Ah, right, I was thinking of the DSDA hosted on Doomworld. Curiously, the SDA hosts some movies of COMPET-N demos, although they are all older than the period when DOSBox became usable and none were recorded with it, so there's no practical conflict.

Perhaps the SDA would accept DOSBox demos of the DOOM games anyway if it needed to consider them, although obviously only without any speed changing hacking except for TAS demos, because it's offered in the Steam packages directly from id Software.

Today it was the turn of vf11. The speedrun was pretty irritating, but the maxdemo was more straightforward and very fun to record. It contains some of the worst shooting I've ever seen in a fight with one troublesome revenant. I must have fired 6 or 7 shots of the SSG at it before I was able to kill the thing.

vf11 speed - 4:27 (no existing run)
vf11 max - 8:09 (previous time of 9:40)

vf11.zip