Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Grazza said:

I wouldn't call it a bug, but it certainly looks like an oversight by the mapper.

Huy decided for some reason or another to place suicide exits in all of the maps. So that's actually there on purpose. It's just a little square.

The one I was referring to (in map12) isn't a suicide exit (indeed, you can't even die in such a sector). And the ones in 03, 23 and 31 aren't suicide exits either, and don't look deliberate.

Well, I suppose what I mean is, every map either has a suicide exit, or an exit via that special sector that exits the map just before you die. They serve the same purpose.

Believe me, they're deliberate. Huy went over every one of those exits with me, the exact ones you used in that .zip.

They're there to make speed routes speedy and different from the normal ones IIRC. I accidentally found the map02 one by dying in just the right place and that's what I remember Huy saying when I asked.

Here's what Doom Marine's text file says about them. (Man, that's an epic text file... over 16000 words. It deserves a cacoward on its own merit!)

The Deus Vult II Text File says:
There are two exits for each level. A conventional exit and a suicide exit.
The suicide exit will allow for a faster speedrun, but you'll have to
find it first, and convince one of the monsters to let you under!
Happy hunting!

Hey, I felt like playing HR2 this weekend and came up with a pretty nice demo. Here's HR2 Map 16 UVMax in 9:17, which seems pretty fast (it's nearly a minute faster than the DSDA time anyway). I did some fun moves, so It'll probably be fun to watch. The part with the two Cybs was kinda tricky. It seems like you should be able to 2-hit kiil them with the BFG, but that seems pretty stupid at the same time (I killed one Cyb like that, but played it safe killing the other one, which took some time to kill. =/)

DOWNLOAD, recorded with PrBoom V2.4.8.5 Beta -complevel 2

BTW, for those tracking the PrBoom V2.4.8.5 Beta, I was recording a demo of HR2 Map32 as well and something really wierd happened. Just all of a sudden, me and all the demons gained NOCLIP, so they were chasing me through walls and over obstacles and stuff, which wasn't so bad since I could run away through walls as well. I'm not sure what caused it (Sorry, I overwrote the demo, but it happened twice out of like 30 runs.) I had no problems recording the map16 demo, though.

Here's my command line:
"PrBoom 2485" "HR2Final.WAD" -record "Demopath" -nomusic -warp 32 -skill 4 -complevel 2

Almost certainly an intercepts overflow (or rather, emulation of one).

You could turn off the overflow emulation, but be aware that you might then record a demo that will desync (or cause a crash) if you try to play it back with Doom2.exe. Of course, you may well view that as preferable to having your attempt junked on the spot by "all-ghosts" behaviour.

Grazza said:
You could turn off the overflow emulation, but be aware that you might then record a demo that will desync (or cause a crash) if you try to play it back with Doom2.exe. Of course, you may well view that as preferable to having your attempt junked on the spot by "all-ghosts" behaviour.

You could say that for any level with a lot of things, as 128 things in one area will almost certainly cause an overflow (though not necessarily a malign one). I don't recall all-ghosts reports in that level (maybe Vile knows otherwise), so I think he may have been unlucky, or maybe shows the chance is like 6.666%, but it generally depends on how corpses pile up. Too many in one area increase the chances.

Yeah dmclub is long gone, as is startan3.

I had an intercepts overflow on h232 once or twice. I still have one demo where it happens.

evocalvin said:

Belial did this map in 7:43 before
Here

Hey, cool. I'll have to check this out. =D

As for the map32 glitch, I take it that it's an error on the mapper's part? It would stink if my demo desynced with no overflow emulation. Should I just record with -complevel 2 and hope for the best or record with -complevel 9 or something to avoid the problem altogether?

Death-Destiny said:
As for the map32 glitch, I take it that it's an error on the mapper's part?

Nope, just a limit in the Doom engine. If I am not mistaken, it can gather 128 intercepts (things or lines in the path of a hitscan attack) per pellet before a memory overflow occurs. Some of these overflows don't produce a noticeable effect, but more severe ones can cause the all-ghosts bug or even crash Doom2 (this last effect won't affect PrBoom+). One way to make it less possible is to avoid shooting hitscan weapons over long distances strewn with corpses. Since that level is mostly about using the BFG and rockets the danger is not too great, even though the number of monsters is considerable.

Hey, I just did a better UVMax run on HR2 Map 16 than my previous run, this time in 7:20. It's on the same page as the before, below the first demo (recorded with PrBoom V2.4.8.5 Beta -complevel 2).

I've got a few questions still. Which sites/archives should I be visiting to find the fastest demos? I mean, I'm not always going to be trying to make and post fast demos, especially for newer maps, but posting a demo for a mapset as old as HR2 is kinda silly if it's not fairly close to a current time. (And besides, having a competitive spirit is good for you! ;)

Also, regarding the intercepts overflow, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't BFG tracers hitscans? Therefore, if I'm BFG-ing everything in a field full of corpses, I don't think my chances of avoiding the overflow are too amazing. I won't get very far in HR2 Map32 without the BFG. =(

Which sites/archives should I be visiting to find the fastest demos?

DSDA + this forum search = 99% of all records, I think

Death-Destiny said:
Also, regarding the intercepts overflow, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't BFG tracers hitscans? Therefore, if I'm BFG-ing everything in a field full of corpses, I don't think my chances of avoiding the overflow are too amazing. I won't get very far in HR2 Map32 without the BFG. =(

Yeah, you seem to have a point there.

Intercepts overflows don't occur quite as easily as that - otherwise, for instance, you couldn't play Nuts without getting one immediately (though they are quite common in that map, especially on Nightmare, but my point is that they don't occur at all automatically).

Some maps are more prone to intercepts overflows than others, and h232 is indeed one of them (see my table that I linked to above, and the comment at the top). But there is nothing inevitable about this. Maybe the 1-in-13ish that you have experienced is about typical?

Yes, you could switch to Boom to avoid this, but then you'll be getting some Boom behaviour that might be unwanted, and also it would render time comparisons with previous demos less meaningful. If it were me recording, I'd stay with -complevel 2 and turn off the intercepts overflow emulation for the recording session. And if my best attempt featured an overflow, just view that as slightly unfortunate, but not a fatal problem.

Turning off emulation makes demos that really aren't v1.9. In my opinion the problem is that "limit removing" is not v1.9. Doom-plus should be something like v1.12 with an intercepts limit of 1024, and PrBoom's limit removing vanilla should be v1.13. Something like that. If the demos are different, the version is different. This is so that any engine playing them knows what they are. The only exception being v1.9u and v1.9f, but just because the guys that tweaked the Final DOOM and The Ultimate DOOM versions smoked something weird.

Grazza said:
Intercepts overflows don't occur quite as easily as that - otherwise, for instance, you couldn't play Nuts without getting one immediately (though they are quite common in that map, especially on Nightmare, but my point is that they don't occur at all automatically).

Not immediately because most of the monsters are alive, stopping the tracers when hit. The problem is when you've got sections with piles of corpses. You can get severe overflows in Deeforce's Das Labor, which offers large rooms with tons of monsters that you can wipe out with relative ease. I made a lighting-level testing map with 256 two-sided linedefs and if you shoot across it with the shotgun it always (?) crashes Doom-plus because of a severe intercepts overflow (exceeding the limit by over 100 intercepts).

Well, I finally have a vf12 max to go with my earlier speed demo for the same map. Haven't really been motivated to play much doom in the past few weeks, let alone record anything, but hopefully that will change soon.

This level is frustrating. It's easy to miss a few wandering imps, and 2 of the 4 secrets are potentially difficult to get and can ruin an otherwise fine demo. It's fun when you're not racing against the clock.

Time is 10:05, and the previous record was Dedo's time of 10:49.

vf12-1005.zip

Did UV-Maxes for first 8 of 16 maps from Diet 32in24 tonight. Some nice quickie enemy blasting maps in here.

Times for the first 8 maps...

Map 1 - 0:57
Map 2 - 1:56
Map 3 - 1:20
Map 4 - 1:27
Map 5 - 2:55
Map 6 - 2:09
Map 7 - 3:31
Map 8 - 2:10

Zipfile also includes a bonus map 5 demo. I don't know how that happened at the end, but it's worth a few laughs.

Wasn't too sure on a naming convention so I just went with the first thing that came to mind.

Attaching zipfile now.

32ddemos.zip

And Anima once again proves how crazy he is. Good show!

The full versions of Diet's attract mode demos really are hidden inside the WAD, as I quipped in the text file, but I'll let you find them for yourself. For the record, these are the filenames and times of the full versions:

• 3d13-257.lmp - MAP13 in 2:37 (full DEMO1)
  • 3d05-312.lmp - MAP05 in 3:12 (full DEMO2)
  • 3d11-455.lmp - MAP11 in 4:55 (full DEMO3)
I'm looking forward to seeing you deal with MAP16, given that it's a BFG slaughter map. :P

The Green Herring said:

And Anima once again proves how crazy he is. Good show!

The full versions of Diet's attract mode demos really are hidden inside the WAD, as I quipped in the text file, but I'll let you find them for yourself. For the record, these are the filenames and times of the full versions:

• 3d13-257.lmp - MAP13 in 2:37 (full DEMO1)
  • 3d05-312.lmp - MAP05 in 3:12 (full DEMO2)
  • 3d11-455.lmp - MAP11 in 4:55 (full DEMO3)
I'm looking forward to seeing you deal with MAP16, given that it's a BFG slaughter map. :P

Thanks for the kind words :D. Can't wait to see what map16 is like.

Getting close at least. Another pack of UV-Maxes for Diet 32in24. This pack covers maps 9 thru 12.

Times...

Map 9 - 1:07
Map 10 - 2:53
Map 11 - 4:29
Map 12 - 3:12

Attaching zipfile now.

32ddemos2.zip

entryway said:

deepbsp?

No. I used BSP v5.1 to build the nodes on that map, and the rest of the maps, before the WAD was released.

So, yeah, I have no idea how that's happening, especially since that never happened in all the times I playtested the map. WTF?