Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SoM

EE mouse code fixed

This fix improves EE's mousecode a thousand-fold. It feels absolutely perfect now. The new acceleration types should also help if anyone's used to slightly different handling. Thanks SoM!

I will not stand for Esselfortium's lies and misinformation. The new mouse code is not a mere thousandfold better. In fact the new mousecode is well over 9000 times better. Additionally, each mouse_accel setting exponentially increases the awesomeness by 9000 as well.

It should also be noted that if anyone is already running an SVN build that came with the Eternity Starter Kit package, all they need to do is replace Eternity.exe, as they should already have all the necessary /base/ files and folders.

Unless something's suddenly changed that I don't know about, that is :P

Yeah, the mouse is working pretty well. Are the novert and acceleration settings going to appear in the menu? In "mouse options", I mean

Where are console aliases written? Do these work? I tried adding one and there was no effect, as far as I can tell. Is there a way to make an alias do more than one thing?

I need an alias that takes two action commands as a workaround to the fact that Eternity uses a Quake-like key-based binding system as opposed to Doom's command-based system. I use this for a key for an easier sr50 setup (a single key that strafes and turns to the left; it's cumulative with "moveleft").

I think you need to modify -config so that is will read the key setup file in addition to the CFG file. In any case, it's annoying to have separate CFGs for DOOM and DOOM II. With source ports this is unnecessary and confusing, and even with Doom you can use the same file for both games (if you tweak the DOOM executable with DHE you can have both games in the same directory).

Could you add an option to set the game's original automap colors instead of the enhanced ones? This would have a different effect on Heretic than DOOM, and the like. Currently Heretic's automap looks pretty strange in Eternity anyway.

PS: The game goes on pause mode when you go to the console, then you have to hit pause to continue. If it needs to pause, shouldn't it unpause automatically when leaving the console?

myk said:

Yeah, the mouse is working pretty well. Are the novert and acceleration settings going to appear in the menu? In "mouse options", I mean

At some point before the next release ;)

myk said:

Where are console aliases written? Do these work? I tried adding one and there was no effect, as far as I can tell. Is there a way to make an alias do more than one thing?

I need an alias that takes two action commands as a workaround to the fact that Eternity uses a Quake-like key-based binding system as opposed to Doom's command-based system. I use this for a key for an easier sr50 setup (a single key that strafes and turns to the left; it's cumulative with "moveleft").

This isn't possible currently. I could add an action to support this specially, however. Not the ideal solution, but it would get around the single-action-per-binding problem for now anyway.

myk said:

I think you need to modify -config so that is will read the key setup file in addition to the CFG file. In any case, it's annoying to have separate CFGs for DOOM and DOOM II. With source ports this is unnecessary and confusing, and even with Doom you can use the same file for both games (if you tweak the DOOM executable with DHE you can have both games in the same directory).

That's a good idea. However, the ability to support different configurations for each game is important. What EE *needs* is a way to automatically sync the configs between multiple games, and I've been thinking about this already for a while now.

myk said:

Could you add an option to set the game's original automap colors instead of the enhanced ones? This would have a different effect on Heretic than DOOM, and the like. Currently Heretic's automap looks pretty strange in Eternity anyway.

Along with the above I have been thinking about providing several "default" configurations along with EE. One of these would be for vanilla ultra-purism and would configure everything, even interface stuff like the automap, to the original settings. As for Heretic, multiple internal defaults have not yet been implemented, so it still uses the DOOM defaults for Heretic. This is not "intentional," it's just another thing, similar to the cheat codes, which is not finished yet.

myk said:

PS: The game goes on pause mode when you go to the console, then you have to hit pause to continue. If it needs to pause, shouldn't it unpause automatically when leaving the console?

This is in beta and is broken in several ways. It is SUPPOSED to unpause when the console goes up, at least if you are in "level" gamestate - playing a map. There are known problems with having the console down and issuing an "exitlevel" command, for example. Again, not finished. This is the kind of thing you can expect from a SVN build.

Quasar said:

However, the ability to support different configurations for each game is important.

Not that important, people can just put EE in a different folder.

Ajapted said:

Not that important, people can just put EE in a different folder.

That wouldn't work on linux without compiling multiple binaries with different configuration path settings. Optional subdirectories for configuration files would be a better idea. If a configuration file doesn't exist in the game's subdirectory, it would use a default one in the root directory. This would allow users to choose whether or not they want game-dependent configurations without having to use a parameter each time.

I think I'll make an option to have all DOOM-type game modes use the /base/doom folder instead of their own subfolders. If enabled, DOOM, DOOM 2, and the Final DOOMs would all read and write from there instead of to the doom2, tnt, and plut game folders. If disabled, every game will use its own folder like normal. It's a little bit of a hack on top of a good system, but I think it is pretty much required.

@Quasar: That would be excellent, yes :)

The one issue I can think of with that, though, is that you might want to still allow for separate autoloads per iwad somehow. This would accomodate for setups like, for example, if somebody makes or downloads wads with mouselook-friendly tall versions of each iwad's skies.

Though I suppose you could just tell them tough darts and they have to use separate folders. :P

I could make it only affect the configuration file path, rather than anything. After all, having DOOM saves appearing on the menu for DOOM II (as an example) can only lead to things like having the game crash.