Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gggmork

'Gameplay Only' Mini Slaughter Maps

I'm making simple very hard boom maps that focus on gameplay only (so I don't really care about how copy/pasty it is or implementing anything but uv difficulty or texturing). Mostly mini slaughtermaps. Everything (wads/demos) is dumped in a single zipped folder.

Current link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rqq19b

--------
Link currently includes (recent first):

go8 - difficulty 5/5
Really hard mostly due to congestive demons and lost souls. I put a demo in the current link.
The numbers between go4 and go8 were mostly failures in case you were wondering why there's a gap.

(the ones below only use 1 texture except necessary visual cues like switches):

go4-v2 (new version) - difficulty = 5/5
go4 (old version w/ switch exploit) - difficulty = 5/5

go3 - difficulty = 4/5

go2 - difficulty = 3/5

(plus some demos from TimeOfDeath (and worse demos by me :)

weeeee, I updated the first link with another map/demo (go3). That one's harder and my fingers hurt from making the demo (I was aiming for max kills, but its easy to accidently run into the exit- something I'd change if I were spending more time on these.

mmm k, link now includes go4.

Sorry, I updated the map (replaced one soulsphere with a blue armor), and now made a close but failed demo for go4.

Close one on go4. I god moded through that map earlier today (your maps are too hard for me :) and went "oh sh&@" after seeing all those viles come out from the eye switches. The lowering floors were really cool. Go3 was nice too. I played that a bit without god mode, trying to rush and let the imps out, then walk over the line to let the cacos start teleporting in. But I kept dying. Keep it up.

Edit: Here's a uvmax demo on go3 in 4:32

TimeOfDeath said:

Here's a uvmax demo on go3 in 4:32

The enemies just commited mass suicide when they saw it was you playing. Intense; I like how you dodged a few rockets in a narrow confined space and your control setup allows near TAS quality maneuverability. I guess I'll put that demo in the main link on the next update unless you don't want it included for some reason.

Especially for hard maps, I probably prefer them to be shorter like go3 (go4 maybe should have ended right after the key doors). Trying to make them longer/more epic only forces gameplay to be more cautious/boring on later parts since dying = restart and getting to the later parts has low probability. Plus, for me, its harder to test gameplay in later parts in long hard maps unless you iddqd. You could take a more 'modular' approach with somewhat separately testable areas all hooked together like in some of death destiny's maps (ex. abyssion).

Yeah, I really like go4 but it's driving me crazy. I try to rush up the stairs, hitting the four switches from above, but I usually die before hitting them all (I've only made it to the shootable eye switch 3-4 times). I made it to the line of cybers once but ran out of health and died. Feel like adding some health/spheres or something for the start and maybe the end?

Here's the death: go4crash

I knew hitting the switches that way was theoretically possible but assumed it wouldn't be realistically possible, so didn't bother ironing out that exploit. Hmm, due to the high death rate doing it that way, I'd guess it'd be more fun to force gameplay to not allow it (so its not so die-restart-die-restart)- so I changed that, hopefully for the better. If not all well, they're mostly just practice maps (I like how in flanagan you have a similar exploit (hit switches in the ground to get rocket launcher early) but you just roll with it instead of getting rid of it, heh. That death wasn't even your fault; just the badly constructed (and tedious) end cyber line. So changed that too and a couple other minor things. Added health and rockets to make the viles slightly easier (but now there are baron corpses they can resurrect). The beginning is mostly the same health wise (assuming doing it the non-exploit way won't be so deadly) and the end is easier. But if a map has really hard parts, maybe the beginning is the best place to put them (so die-restarting isn't such a risk- if you have to play through 50 minutes of a map and then do the hard part at the end, you have to (repeatedly) redo those 50 minutes if you die.
(go4-v2 in link)

edit: updated link w/ uv max for go4-v2

Are you gonna detail these later (althrough I have only played the first one iirc) or do you allow others to do it?

generally all my maps are public domain, so if anyone happens to want to edit them feel free. For my own interests, I'd keep whatever maps necessary so the current demos don't desync though (which might happen with an edit/nodebuild- not sure about texturing exclusively).
I was too lazy to texture maps before go8 (except obvious visual cues like switches), but will probably texture from now on, if I make more, since my paste-heavy texturing technique doesn't take much more effort.