Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunny Day

Export Doom2 Tex, keep original file names

I want to export out the textures from Doom2, the problem is, the textures dont have the original names, it exports them with file names like Wall25_1, when the tex might be called metalgrime01 in Doom Builder, can we export these out and keep the original names, or if not, is there any way to export all the Doom2 textures and keep the name they are really called, I want a list of all the textures and there correct file names.

Sounds like you simply exported the patches.

Open up doom2.wad in XWE and click on the textures tab. All textures, and their according patches will be listed. You can copy and paste the list to notepad if you absolutly need to. And exporting textures is easy with XWE.

Get XWE here:
http://www.doomworld.com/xwe/

And read the included help file if you have problems.

I clicked on textures, on the left we have a box with quick find on the top, under it name and type, under that texture1, next frame we have a list of the textures under name, other boxes are height and width xscale etc. then on the far right we have a frame with UID PID patch name etc. under all this we have the texture image in the frame on the bottom. So its the top middle frame with a list of all the textures, I tried selecting them all but I dont know how, I can only select one at a time, how do I select them all and export them all out.

I've never tried exporting all of Doom2's textures, i've never had the need to. Are you trying to put doom textures in a heretic WAD or something?

But to do so, I believe you have to first export the Texture1 lump. Go to entry and save as. Then repeate for each texture patch. Read the help file that comes with XWE if you have problems. You can also do it with Wintex, Slumped and a few others. Same concept.

I opened XWE, clicked on textures, then entry from the top bar menu and save as, it saves out TEXTURE1.lmp
What do I do with TEXTURE1.lmp? Its a 21k file, I doubt that contians all the Doom2 textures.

Also the help file has nothing on exporting all the textures.
Ill have a look at slumped ed to see if it can do the job

By just exporting the textures lump you won't get much. You also have to export all the patches and the patchnames lump, too. Placing them in a new wad should do the trick. But i don't understand why you need something like this... :/

Sunny Day said:

I want to export out the textures from Doom2, the problem is, the textures dont have the original names, it exports them with file names like Wall25_1 . . . I want a list of all the textures and there correct file names.

The problem is that textures aren't lumps - they're constructs - assembled using one or more patches. Textures don't have file names and I don't know of any utility that can directly export them.

Why export them? Just leave them alone and add other textures to the base DOOM II textures lump (TEXTURE1).

why export them all, perhaps I want to make new textures, update them, and I want a big file with them all in.

There seems to be some confusion, some of you are saying you cannot export them out and keep their names, some say you can, which is it, can you export them all out or not, if so how.

You can export the patches and then assemble them into the actual textures that you see in map editors. You can use the TEXTURE1 lump as a reference to do this. But I don't think you can export them as pre-assembled textures directly.

Sunny Day said:
why export them all, perhaps I want to make new textures, update them, and I want a big file with them all in.

All you need to do is add any new textures to a copy of TEXTURE1 placed in your PWAD. The originals remain, but you add new ones that may use patches already in DOOM II as well as new ones. The IWAD would still hold all its usual patches and the PWAD itself would hold only new patches (including from scratch or modified ones).

IWAD:
Original patches (graphics)
Original TEXTURE1 (texture specs)
Original PNAMES (list of patches)

PWAD:
New or modified patches only
Modified TEXTURE1 (original info + new info)
Modified PNAMES (orininal list + new patches)

When the PWAD is loaded the engine reads the patches from both WADs plus the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps in the PWAD which contain the data for all the textures.

Then you tell your mapping tool to load the PWAD while editing, and all the original textures plus the new ones you defined will be available.