Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eternus

Oscuridad Station Demo Release

Greetings Doomworld, I've been lurking around the forums for over a year now, and thought I should unveil my first project ever released to the public community.

Welcome to Oscuridad Station, a long forgotten mining colony, rumored to have been taken over by the UAC. But what would they want with a colony so small? It's time for you to find out. (Story is WIP)

Featuring over 24 hours of hard work (not including the time it took me to rebuild the map after Doombuilder corrupted it on a few occasions), Afterglow's sexy Quake 2 texture resource (<3), and many ZDoom enhancements (Swimmable water, PolyObjects, and over 300 lines of ACS script to name a few), this is the first of what is planned to be a 3-4 map set. But enough of this, let's get to some screenshots!

Screenshots:

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/4403/screenshotdoom200811041tu2.png
And so you're journey into the unknown begins

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/352/screenshotdoom200811041gr3.png
Hmmm, anyone wanna go swimming? Yeah...me neither

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3922/screenshotdoom200811041ka9.th.png
Sooo scary!

And now for the moment a few of you have been waiting for, the Demo!
Have fun getting raped by the ridiculously limited ammo and overly difficult traps...and, the little secret ;)
http://www.mediafire.com/?0jzittu0yy3

Thanks to:
Phobos Aka AlmostAlive for testing.
And, for my secret's sake, I thank Realm 667 for something fairly obvious (you'll know it when you see it).

And now, a moment of your time after playing, You may have noticed the elevators have a slight glitch in them, and I can't quite decide my method of fixing it, this is the main reason I released the WAD. I'm looking for suggestions on fixing it. I'm currently opting for an instant gib on the person/monster smart enough to get caught in the forcefield, but I KNOW that many of you would just LOVE that idea, so I'm slightly torn.

/bump

I suppose I forgot to mention that, as a few have read, I was looking for Dark Techbase monsters. This is what I wanted them for, however I decided against it, simply to retain the natural feeling of Doom...Since the map itself immerses you in a whole new world, at least one thing should be familiar ;)

Looks quite good. The only thing I don’t like are the doors that need a key at the beginning. Being a bit more unlinear would be nice, but other than that it plays well. Good job!

Eternus said:

I was looking for Dark Techbase monsters

New monsters would be great!

Hi again,
here are some more tips for your map:
the area where the Baron Of Hell appears is totally dark, but it would be better if you made it red blinking. Know what I mean? Also: there should be more bullets infront of the two Pain Elementals, because I played on Hurt Me Plenty and hadn’t enough bullets to kill them. If I were you, then I would include a rocket launcher or supershotgun after the Revenant fight. Did you also notice that one wall back in the Baron Of Hell area has no texture the second time you enter it? It was the room that went totally black, when the enemy appeared. In that room I also didn’t know how to go on. I had to idclip. The boss area also has one bug. If you go to that area a second time (after defeating the boss), then the grids block the exit.

All in all it would be great, if you removed all the bugs and included more amunnition, weapons and enemies (for my taste a bit too less :-P). Good luck with improving, I played with ZDOOM 2.1.6 on Hurt Me Plenty.

Eternus said:

I thank Realm 667 for something fairly obvious (you'll know it when you see it).

You mean the end boss, right? Looks amazing, but I would reduce the hit point of that enemy :-P!

Nice map. I was enjoying playing through it, but then I think I think I somehow broke the lift. :( Went down to the area where the blue key is, then when I came back to the lift to go back up towards the start area, the lift went down to nowhere and I was kinda stuck.
Might be something to check. Otherwise, was a good little map.

Kyka said:

Nice map. I was enjoying playing through it, but then I think I think I somehow broke the lift. :( Went down to the area where the blue key is, then when I came back to the lift to go back up towards the start area, the lift went down to nowhere and I was kinda stuck.
Might be something to check. Otherwise, was a good little map.

Same happened to me. Also, there was a nasty HOM effect on the windows of the lit and the exit on the side of the blue key area.

Eternus said:

/bump

I suppose I forgot to mention that, as a few have read, I was looking for Dark Techbase monsters. This is what I wanted them for, however I decided against it, simply to retain the natural feeling of Doom...Since the map itself immerses you in a whole new world, at least one thing should be familiar ;)

Well, the Hectebus from the Realm667 Beastiary is just an oversized Mancubus recolor, but it manages to be a lot more creepy than the original, especially when used in dark areas. Maybe you could use it?

Alright, fixed all the bugs, added some ammo for the Pains, and uploading. Apparently this never happened to my tester...nor me for whatever reason, because looking at it, there would be NO way not to trigger it. Guess that's what happens when you test at midnight.
Oh, and for anyone that plays the map, AlmostAlive tells me that the Elevator isnt very friendly late at night with headphones on. In other words, he spent a few minutes yelling at me over MSN because it scared him.

Oh did anyone find the 2 secrets I included?

BTW: I didn't add new mobs simply because there are so many old schoolers that don't like new monsters. And I'm not adding a rocket launcher because they would take alot of the difficulty out of the map *cough*ArchVile*cough*. More monsters are garunteed in the future maps though, with what I have planned things will turn into quite a Killfest, although not to the point of Deus Vult II Minas Morgul, which was so bad it dropped my framerate to a crawl.

Eternus said:

Since the map itself immerses you in a whole new world, at least one thing should be familiar ;)

Your "whole new world" looks a whole lot like Quake 2.

kristus said:

Your "whole new world" looks a whole lot like Quake 2.

Shush you!

:P I meant a new world to Doom. How many Doom maps have you seen that include fully functional forcefields that can be toggled on/off?

EDIT: Since Doomworld refuses to acknowledge that this is my post, I'm forced to simply strike that out. Sorry for my attitude contained within.

Captain Ventris said:

KDiZD had forcefields. I'm sure one extra line of code would allow them to be turned back on.

I just realized how full-of-myself my last post sounded, disregard it, as it is soon to be deleted.

Eternus said:

Shush you!

:P I meant a new world to Doom. How many Doom maps have you seen that include fully functional forcefields that can be toggled on/off?

EDIT: Since Doomworld refuses to acknowledge that this is my post, I'm forced to simply strike that out. Sorry for my attitude contained within.

Quite a few. I've seen a good number of Quake and Quake 2-themed or inspired maps for Doom over the years, as well. :P The Darkening and The Darkening 2 being excellent examples of Doom mods (for doom2.exe, no less) that pull off a very Quake 2-inspired feel (while, AFAIK, using mostly self-created textures rather than Quake rips).

This still looks pretty nice, though, from the screenshots, albeit excessively dark.

Right, um I was the tester, and I did run across many of those glitches, the idclip one and the missing texture one to be more specific, but about the ammunition, it is possible to run through it. I did it in Ultra Violence difficulty setting.

I really liked the boss. It was very challenging.