Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

upside down EDIT: now u 'walk' on ceiling :) (doom2, map1)

==newest edit===

coolness, I made the 'walk on your hands' on the ceiling thing work (also uses GreyGhosts upside down textures):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7frexo
(kinda discovered boom's fake floor/ceilings could be used for this on accident). It was a little tricky to get some parts to work right (the lift for example- like when you 'fall' you fall up, not down, which means you need an invisible floor to raise you as if you're falling.. The enemies and items don't help the illusion at all and it might be best to remove them..

==older edit==

Better upside down doom2 map 2 by GreyGhost has upside down textures too (linked below):
http://www.mediafire.com/?dsygyjyezd2

==initial post==

You have to use idclip (ideally the textures would be upside down too but I don't want to figure out how to do that). Also included the 4x larger, same zip.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/de46rd

How you did it? Also, it should be called ʎɐʍʎɹʇuǝ (If you can't see it, it's Entryway upside down). Gave me a good laugh for a while.

Another pointless thing for your recycle bins, doom2 map 1 that's 4 times larger (also requires idclip and would work better if the textures were 4x larger too), also aligned a minor texture in the upside down one (put both in first link). I tried renaming it to ʎɐʍʎɹʇuǝ but it didn't recognize the characters.

To do upside down, select each sector and swap floor/ceiling flat textures, swap upper/lower wall textures, and swap and multiply floor/ceiling height by -1.

ex.

floor: 16 (flat A)
ceiling: 64 (flat B)

==becomes==

floor: -64 (flat B)
ceiling: -16 (flat A)

(also have to fix most line actions, like 'ceiling raise' (a door) becomes floor lower)

For 4x larger, just use doombuilder's 'resize: 400%' then multiply all ceilings/floors by 4 (resize by itself only affects surface area, not height).

An automated program would of course make both much easier.

gggmork said:

An automated program would of course make both much easier.

Even easier would be to implement it in a source port.

I found an old utility called WadFun that'll resize (X/Y axis only) and mirror maps. It needs a node builder and patching to run on anything faster than a Pentium 200.

gggmork said:

ideally the textures would be upside down too but I don't want to figure out how to do that

Don't say I never do anything for you

Heh, that's awesome. You even changed the tally screen to ʎɐʍʎɹʇuǝ and fixed that unpegged texture on the 'lift'. Only thing I changed was adding upper/lower textures to the 2 line sequences 348etc and 306etc to remove hall of mirrors in the sky for some reason.

I guess I could have used 'generalized' boom lines to make the 'lift' and doors faster. If doomguy's head always stuck to the ceiling it'd feel like you're walking around on your hands.

I downloaded a wad I no longer have long ago from someone who was good at hacks with some interesting stuff (had a map called 'epilepsy mountain' or something with flashing lights and shrunk doomguy etc).

The hegyi map was interesting (also had the 'kills/items/secrets' etc tally text altered)

You could potentially use gratuitous amounts of self-referencing sectors to make Doomguy "float" at different heights in different areas, in order to make the map playable without cheats.

Using DEHACKED to give the player the MF_TELEPORT flag (32768) should allow him to step up big height differences [if I read the code correctly].

gggmork said:

Heh, that's awesome. You even changed the tally screen to ʎɐʍʎɹʇuǝ and fixed that unpegged texture on the 'lift'.

I had too much free time - glad you liked it.

Only thing I changed was adding upper/lower textures to the 2 line sequences 348etc and 306etc to remove hall of mirrors in the sky for some reason.

Depends on the engine you're using. Most GL renderers will wrap an upside-down sky to the horizon without complaint using the standard technique in reverse while software renderers tend to display HOM's.

The “4x“ wad is interesting. What about creating a rats.wad, where everything is huge like in the rats.bsp for Half Life 1?

I guess self referencing sectors is something like the start of map 2 of gravity ( http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15467 ). I looked at that in doombuilder and didn't really understand, and I don't know how to use dehacked. The initial snail pace of progress makes me kinda dislike most code/programming. I messed around in python and it took me ages to get anything remotely visually pathetic on the screen, and before you know anything it usually feels like a frustrating headache navigating cryptic hurdles instead of fun for me (despite python/pygame being a relatively more user friendly language too apparently).

Never played rats, that'd be cool if it was enormous, like you could fit 8 mancubi (or whatever the plural is) across the thin way of that upper brown ledge. Not sure what the height/size limit is in doom though.

worst, that looks quite interesting but I don't know how to use it (I'm obviously way off base trying to drag and drop the text file into prboom-plus with a wad..)

Updated first post (now you can walk 'on your hands' on the ceiling in the upside down map and no longer need idclip).

Creaphis said:

Well how about that. Grosse upside down gives you... pretty much the same level.

I wouldn't imagine Wolfenstein to be any different either, as both maps are modeled off of maps made with an engine that didnt support height differences.

gggmork said:

worst, that looks quite interesting but I don't know how to use it (I'm obviously way off base trying to drag and drop the text file into prboom-plus with a wad..)

Well yeah, it's somewhat port specific as it uses Decorate & Custom player classes, which is afaik only supported in ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag and maybe Vavoom too..

Ha ha, that's awesome. I just tried worst's decorate stuff now (didn't know all you had to do was drag/drop those 2 txt files with the wad into zdoom). Doom2 map 22 is beatable with the tiny marine and allows you to fit between small cracks thus getting the red key early (some other maps have too high of steps that you can't jump over). The tiny one keeps the normal size 'bob up and down while walking' and the enemies aim at the feet of the large one, heh. 50% health is a nice touch.