• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Orthogonally Challenged Planar Extents

Some developments have been going on with Cardboard:

Expect more news in the near future :)

I gotta give a shout out to Randy Heit for helping me out with the distance fading on the slopes. He was extra helpful.

Do slopes have any clipping advantage over stairs, in Doom? I mean that both over stairs and slopes, non-player objects can be made to step up, unlike in Quake, where any edge would block any missile.

High five to SoM. And again, Randy is here to help. Gotta love sourceports coders.

printz said:

Do slopes have any clipping advantage over stairs, in Doom? I mean that both over stairs and slopes, non-player objects can be made to step up, unlike in Quake, where any edge would block any missile.

The specific behavior of all that will depend on the clipping code once it's written; I don't think there's really one right or wrong way that we know for sure it'll be, until it's actually done. There are a lot of variables to consider, though. For one thing, should players and walking monsters slide around on gradual slopes? And then should corpses and bullet casings and baseballs? So we don't really know yet exactly how this is all going to behave.

esselfortium said:

The specific behavior of all that will depend on the clipping code once it's written; I don't think there's really one right or wrong way that we know for sure it'll be, until it's actually done. There are a lot of variables to consider, though. For one thing, should players and walking monsters slide around on gradual slopes? And then should corpses and bullet casings and baseballs? So we don't really know yet exactly how this is all going to behave.

SLIPPERY
ROLL

maybe?

Csonicgo said:

SLIPPERY
ROLL

maybe?

Yeah, there are definitely going to have to be some discussion on how to clip them. I think for normal situations, we'll have to assume that players/monsters/whatever will try to stabilize themselves when walking across reasonably pitched slopes. Now, for situations where friction is reduced (icy slopes, anyone?) gravity will obviously play a bigger role.

Don't take my protest too far, you know I'm just printz :) Besides, this is Eternity so it has to act quite like classic Doom. Slopes are analogous to extremely fine stairs, so they should (IMO) act accordingly: no slipping (unless they have a special designed for this), monsters can't walk too steep slopes unless set in the options (if any of their dots is lower than 24 units of their base), and the player shouldn't be able to climb (let alone run-climb) slopes higher than 24/1.

You can't do proper slope physics with such 'rules'. You'd be surprised how badly it would behave (and how useless such slopes can be.)

printz said:

Slopes are analogous to extremely fine stairs, so they should (IMO) act accordingly

Wasn't this disproved by the ancient greeks?

'Fine' meaning 'thin' in that context. And I wasn't comparing it to reality, but to how one goes to attempt slopes in vanilla Doom: 1-sized stairs.

Going with the step comparison, it'd then be possible to make slopes that are nearly vertical that the player could still walk up. That'd be pretty terrible for a lot of reasons, and there's just no reason to do that just because it'd be possible to make something comparable with 1-thick 24-high steps.

The slopes should act like slopes, much like the schnozzberries should taste like schnozzberries. This isn't vanilla Doom, but even if it was I can just about guarantee you id Software wouldn't have handled them in the bizarre way you're describing.

I've got an idea to please anyone: what if whether the slope is slippery or climbable is controlled by parameters?

I suggested on IRC a while ago that it might be worthwhile to actually use thing flags in EDF to determine whether an object should have sure footing on slopes (like a player or monster) or whether it should roll around on them like a ball. Presumably some sort of friction-ish parameter in UDMF would be able to modify the slipperiness amount on a per-slope basis, so that, say, a ski slope or ice skating rink can behave accordingly.

Ah, a nostalgic :p

But if you were really hardcore you would've linked to the book, not a movie.

EDIT: Hmm, never read the book myself but it appears the name was lifted from another book into the '71 movie...

Initially, I was thinking BFG... clearly the late Mr Dahl (or his daughter) had a fascination for such fantasy food stuffs.

Update:
Slopes are in SVN! So far there are a few issues with slopes in portals, and there is no clipping code yet, but they are rendering :)

SoM said:

Update:
Slopes are in SVN! So far there are a few issues with slopes in portals, and there is no clipping code yet, but they are rendering :)

What are their specials (numbers, names, type:{regular, parameterized, UDMF...}, usage)? Maybe I can add them to the wiki.

EDIT: but then, there'll have to be one or two extra wiki entries at the contents: line types (which could also include vanilla Doom types, for completeness) and thing types (especially Eternity ones).