Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

Smoother weapon sprite animations - Released!

For those running this with Skulltag and to make weapon switching between the smooth weapons and Skulltag's weapons: Modify KEYCONF.TXT in the PK3 so it looks like this:

clearplayerclasses
addplayerclass PerkDPlayer

weaponsection PerkSmoothGuns

setslot 1 PerkFist Chainsaw
setslot 2 PerkPistol
setslot 3 PerkShotgun PerkSuperShotgun
setslot 4 PerkChaingun Minigun
setslot 5 PerkRocketLauncher GrenadeLauncher
setslot 6 PerkPlasmaRifle Railgun
setslot 7 BFG9000 BFG10K
Save, import and replace the old keyconf.txt and it all should run perfectly.

<STRIKE>I really don't know why some frames on the rocket launcher were disappearing when firing but are fine once idle again.</STRIKE>

Seems like it was only happenning when I dropped pk_weapon.wad into the PK3 when I used it..weird..but it works fine when I load them individually.

See above edit, it works normally now. :)

Great work for those involved and big kudos for the guy making a DECORATE version. This is now a permanant addon when running the game now.

I vote for this to be uploaded to the Archives once any tiny errors are ironed out for it.

Wait for Essel to contribute his EDF version. Then the final wad could integrate those three control lumps and be compatible with Doomsday, Eternity, and the ZDoom family.

Well, the EDF version is both based on the older version of this that Perkristian posted (I haven't looked at the new version yet) and requires a new Eternity SVN build, as it uses a recently-added codepointer to allow the chaingun to use the original 2-shot fire without side effects.

It also has some bullet-casings stuff in it that I put in there to try out when Quasar added two codepointers for me, and the casings are currently a bit gigantic as I don't have smaller sprites handy for them. ><

esselfortium said:

allow the chaingun to use the original 2-shot fire without side effects.

Is there any chance this fix could somehow be implemented into the Doomsday and ZDoom versions as well?

How did I not notice this thread before? :-)

Anyway, everyone else has already said it, but this is great. Subtle and authentic to the original. I like it.

I particularly like how you used the remastered sound effects package in the videos in the OP. This very much seems to be in the same kind of theme of "improving things in a way that is true to the original". Is there anything similar that can be done with other parts of Doom?

fraggle said:

I particularly like how you used the remastered sound effects package in the videos in the OP. This very much seems to be in the same kind of theme of "improving things in a way that is true to the original". Is there anything similar that can be done with other parts of Doom?

Non-mirrored sprites, especially for marines and zombies. I've gotten some for the imp from the Doom alpha, and while I know there are non-mirrored marine sprites that have been created (see the cyberdemon teaser on the shareware Doom credit screen), it seems they were never released.

Alpha 0.2 does not have player sprites.
Alpha 0.4 has full rotations, but only for the A frame.
Alpha 0.5, same as 0.4
Press-release beta has mirrored rotations.

Alpha 0.4 is the one from which I've extracted non-mirrored walking frames for the imps and the demons.

fraggle said:

Is there anything similar that can be done with other parts of Doom?

There was a thread resurrected recently with someone making 3x resolution sprites for the monsters. It included pics of Imp and Demon.

I'd like to see double-res HUD and weapon sprites more than monster sprites because you only get close-up to monsters fairly rarely but the HUD and weapons are the most noticeably pixelated parts of it.

Well, I guess I did the sound effects, music and weapon sprites because they are very upfront and noticeable. I’ve thought of improving the spiderdaemon/chaingunner firing sequences as they also got revolving barrels weapons with only 2 firing frames, but improvements on the monster sprites are not very noticeable during regular gameplay.

I’m continuously looking for new sounds for the hi-res sound pack. As there seems to be no difference between 11kHz/22kHz in the original Doom sound effect material id Software got, it would probably not help that much. Still though; it would sure have been interesting to take a look at it, should it in some way be available.

I also make some Doom music from time to time, and have a couple of tracks up on my website now, although these tracks will always have some of my personal touch.

Would non-mirrored sprites even be noticable? It might be like software ports that support >8-bit color in software - you only notice it if you're actively looking for it.

For asymmetric monsters, yes. I do notice the rifles/shotguns/whatever jumping from hand to hand for no reason.

For things like imps and demons, not so much.

Super Jamie said:

There was a thread resurrected recently with someone making 3x resolution sprites for the monsters. It included pics of Imp and Demon.

Hmm, I have my doubts over whether that could really be done well. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

It would be neat to see a Vanilla version of this made, even if just a cut-down version. The main problem is the lack of any spare frames to use. The trick of using the pain elemental resurrection frames is clever. Would it be possible to skim off some frames in other places where it wouldn't be noticed? The boss brain has a four frame animation, a couple of which could be stolen, for example. There might be other places where frames could be stolen in an inconspicuous way. How many extra frames are needed for this?

If my adding is correct the total number of frames needed for all the weapons are 89 - excluding the muzzle flash frames.

You'll be hard pushed to find 89 frames. My recollection is that there are less than 10 frames that you can gain access to before you start affecting things that actually appear in game.

The DECORATE code could be changed to restore the double shooting for the chaingun.

The latest beta version of skulltag might work better than the current stable relese.

And you can go ahead and merge everything into one wad, I think. The ports should sucessfully load whichever code is correct, DECORATE or DED.

Thankyou Perkristian and phi108 for creating this and making it work in Skulltag. It really is appreciated, between this and the sound pack DooM has been given a new lease of life! I really can]t wait for the other weapons... :)

Thanks Kyka, Ive been hunting for this thread for a while. I swear it was in Wads and Mods the last time I saw this thread :{

Yes.. the two shot chaingun is very nice.

I have to admit though, that mirrored pistol just plain looks wrong to me. It bugs me just looking at it.

Personally, i'd like to see a deh with extra frames for atleast the super shotgun. I imagine there are enough disposable frames for that.

yea the reversed pistol is not a good thing in my opinion. its like, you improved everything so well while keeping things very close to the original. then went ahead and reversed the pistol and ruined it.