Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

Doom Marine said:

I scrolled through WoS's third episode screenies again and I'd have to say that's one solid hell episode. It's pretty rare to see any megawad that features ten whole red hot hell levels.

I think you'll like my megawad. Well, at least that tiny part of it. Hell is solid, and it's dirty, deadly, and rotten for the entire third episode.

Your screens are awesome, it reminds me of Doom3 Hell, except...huge.

I've been playing the crap out of this set when it hit so here's several aspects I'd like to point out or pitch your way:

-Nuke the suicide exits (you're already in the process of doing so). If you plan on implementing any sort of speed exits (or alternate suicide exits) then at least 'make' the player do some work to achieve those faster exits.

-That Map23 situation 'may' need to be addressed (the red Morgul area rockets). Though I'm one of those players that can get around this, there may be those that are caught unaware (ehem, don't read the txt file) and suffer instant death at the hands of the Cleric army.

-The skip maps have got to go...You could replace each of them with some 'intermission' maps. These can range from Scythe E1-scaled maps to BFG slaughtermaps (myself and many others feel that there just isn't enough of them <I don't count Morgul for it's too easy to be an intimidating slaughtermap...esp on UV>).

-More speed-running tricks and clever shortcuts please!!

-Please, for the love of senseless death, beef up Map12-UV!! For one thing, those spider corpses look rather lonely in their cages when no other monsters join them. Secondly, that main chamber in general is pretty blah to me considering that no monsters really roam in there (before and after the multi-keyed wall is lowered).

-Things I wish to see in the new maps:
+Revamped classic DV traps that haven't been touched yet <DV04 360 degree trap>.
+A closed-in Afrit curve **...I'd say 15 Afrits tops depending on curve size.
+A fight against multitudes of foes (stronger ones). Something like one of Cyb's maps (the one where you fight an onslaught of Dark Imps and Demons outside that fortress, someone should know what I'm talking about here).
+One Heaven-themed map (DVII-29 doesn't count...sorry).
+One map where you're stuck within stargates <malfunction anyone!?> (probably between CT:HA and the Morgul) and you have to make it out of Limbo (not E3M7-style, but Void...without the necessity to jump.
+More easter eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-A slaughtermap that forces you to use the DBSS or PG to kill the opposition...with a speed shortcut that allows you to gain the BFG off the bat (via voodoo doll, like Map21) for speed runs.

I apologize if I'm going a bit overboard here, but it's your project man so you make the decisions in the end. This is all coming from a guy who draws maps in a notebook and writes out how his maps play out in words...I just don't have the time these days to even mess with map editors so my stuff stays in exile.

Good hunting...

Thanks for writing in, many of your ideas will be considered.

Many of the fights in DVII-1 can be rendered unbeatable if the player takes too many resources before the fight, such as invuln spheres, cells, and the like. The Red Morgul fight from Map23 for example. The solution to these issues in the second edition will involve warping in powerups/health/ammo after the traps have been triggered.

Fights that have received the "warp-in" treatment:

1) Map21's Pipe Organ slaughter
2) Map23's Red Morgul siege
3) Map23's Satanic Room trap @ 12 o'clock

Future fights will be fair under all circumstances with these warp-in treatments.

I would like to see more use of that badass architecture you use, its just...badass. :P

Also that 'run like hell' level with the Balrogs was real fun, I'd love to see another level like it as well. Another suggestion is to add a level that Hell would be proud of, maybe a perspective of someone who arrives in Hell, from their death, and it is up to them to escape eternal damnation. Just a little idea. :)

Khaoscythe said:
+One Heaven-themed map (DVII-29 doesn't count...sorry).

Oh he DID make a Heaven map. I didn't know about that one.

It's not how I imagined heaven to look, though. I was visualizing something more abstract and other-worldly rather than pieces of a temple floating in the sky.

TheeXile said:

a temple floating in the sky.

That's a great idea for a map, thanks!

Great stuff! I'm looking foward to playing this great mod. Oh and could you tone down the difficulty on easy. It's much harder than lots of wads.

Sorry to double post, but I found a big bug in Level 2. The exit teleport is locked right until you goto the red key room? If you walk fast enough along the fence near the barrier it's possible to get enough speed to go over the barrier.

Doom Marine said:

That's a speedrunning shortcut actually.

The famous Microsoft tactic: "It's not a bug. It's a feature!"

;P

The new MAP21: Soul Crusher. The introduction will feature an action sequence with the player diving through the atmosphere of the planet, through the mountain ranges (seen in the northern regions of the planet), and into a cavern seen below. The key here is everything is shown explicitly in front of the player's eye: you will see yourself going from space and falling 30 seconds from the atmosphere right into hell without interruption. Think Action Doom's airplane dive sequence, but with a few extra touches, like hell scenery covering the entire horizon.

The Soul Crusher.

Ripped from a page of Doom3's hell.

Those rocks will behave like explosive barrels that you can kill enemies with them.

an old animated sequence of my explosive rocks, the newer one is far larger, detailed, and has more frames... you'll just have to see it when it's released =p

That's really impressive! The third screenshot recalls the hell from Doom 3 very much. Great work! =)
I can't wait to play this .WAD!

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Hell doesn't have to be red and full of demons. The way I've always envisioned a perfect Hell is a massive icy cavern, completely quiet and completely void of all life. Faces frozen in time in the ice, eternally captured in an agonizing scream...

Thing is, that probably wouldn't make an interesting map. :/

On topic, these screenshots are goddamn amazing. I just played some of the original release of DV2, and I must say.

Whoa.

This looks incredible, i have a question though, you're not getting rid the original map 21 are you? That was my favorite level.

There is nothing interesting on these shots. Huy is known as very creative personality. There is no creativity at all on shots above. The second shot looks like "My Apartment/School/etc" in hell style. There is no architecture (see Phobia be kristus), no interesting design (see dv1) - just technics. Islands in lava are banal, double pistols look badly IMO.

entryway said:

There is nothing interesting on these shots. Huy is known as very creative personality. There is no creativity at all on shots above. The second shot looks like "My Apartment/School/etc" in hell style. There is no architecture (see Phobia be kristus), no interesting design (see dv1) - just technics. Islands in lava are banal, double pistols look badly IMO.

Heh?

Well then, do you any ideas you'd like to share?

Being a tester I can tell you that the shots you see there won't really do the actual level justice.

Hmm...explosive lava rocks, eh? Hope there's more to them than just killing prey...I see lots of potential.

entryway said:

You have no creativity in your speech, so if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it.

Chrome Bolt said:
You have no creativity in your speech,

His speech is ESL, so don't expect Shakespearean English. And don't say there's no substance in what he says, because he's using references to point out what he feels is missing in the shots.

entryway said:

Who made you a critic? Let's see some of your "creativity". IMO, Huy has made some very creative and unique maps. Not to mention if I recall correctly, Huy was doing something with architecture in school. Play any of his other maps from DV or DV2 and you'll see what I mean.

lawl, critics of critics.

The latest shots don't do very much for me, the batch before them though look interesting.

Chrome Bolt said:

if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it.

Hello, and welcome to the internet.

BTW please don't make the DVII hell levels too awesome, otherwise ZInferno will be obsolete before it even gets started! :D

I think entryway was just joking to see your reactions. Screenshots look cool; I might consider giving it a try at some time. But on which skill level; Hey, not too rough?

NiGHTMARE said:

BTW please don't make the DVII hell levels too awesome, otherwise ZInferno will be obsolete before it even gets started! :D

ZInferno? A ZDoom project using classic hellish architecture? With new monsters, characters, weapons and all? Uber cool. Going to check on it.