Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

printz said:

I think entryway was just joking to see your reactions. Screenshots look cool; I might consider giving it a try at some time. But on which skill level; Hey, not too rough?

People like you are the reason we implement difficulty settings. :)

Don't know why...I've found myself playing 'The Death Marshes' track while plowing through Map23. Just a thought on a possible track selection for a map...

You don't all need to be so offended on Doom Marine's behalf. Consider Entryway's comment this way: amidst an archive of "average" maps, Huy's have thus far contained some sparks of innovation. Are these latest screenshots good? Of course, but it's fair to argue that they retread the ground covered by the first edition, that the gameworld's architecture is receiving less attention from Huy than the pizazz, that certain flaws from the first edition remain, etc. Entryway is holding Huy to a higher standard, which is almost a compliment. Almost.

Creaphis said:

Entryway is holding Huy to a higher standard, which is almost a compliment. Almost.

I guess we can call it constructive criticism?

I've talked to entryway through ICQ many times and he has done my work lots of favor in the past. I'm sure that his criticism is an honest evaluation of the aesthetics of the shots in good faith, in which case the shots in the level is don't actually show the scale of things at all.

The individual scenes of the level combine to form an experience into hell that can't really be captured on screen. The hell planet approach leads to another scene that results in the player falling miles into the hellish cavern with the Soul Crusher, while seeing miles of mountains rise above him (yes, it can be done in Boom through 4096-high textures). Entering the soul crusher leads the player to fall a couple more thousand feet deeper into hell, of which the next two screens show a glimpse. It's a bit more work than merely writing a paragraph or two in the textfile on how the player got into hell.

Four screenshots really don't do a 44,000 sidedef level justice now does it?

Bloodskull said:

Who made you a critic? Let's see some of your "creativity".

Yeah..it doesn't quite work that way.

Use3D said:

Yeah..it doesn't quite work that way.

Person A: "This game sucks!"

Person B: "I'd like to see you do better!"

Person A talking to Person B: "You're an idiot."

That's my stance.

Doom Marine said:

That's a speedrunning shortcut actually.

Hmm...would the aspect of the northern wing door not closing when I activate the BK trap be along those lines as well...? In Map 23 I mean...

Khaoscythe said:

Hmm...would the aspect of the northern wing door not closing when I activate the BK trap be along those lines as well...? In Map 23 I mean...

Which port were you using when this happen?

Unrelated update:

Doom Marine said:

Which port were you using when this happen?

Sent you a PM somewhat explaining the scenario...

tic-tac-toe three shitposts in a row

But seriously if you're going to do a library area, make it like an actual library/reading room instead of "oh lets throw some boxes around with the book texture on them". Am I being picky? Yes I am. I've yet to see a convincing library area in a doom mod. Libraries are cramped, confusing, deathly silent and if done right, creepy as hell. I know of one library that only takes a sliver of a city block (as big as a space in NYC) and it's possible to get lost in that.

But this is DVII, so fuck you in advance if you disagree.

If you take a good hard look you notice that the bookcase textures imply a light at the top, so at a certain brightness, this looks fine. but in a dark area, it looks stupid. I suggest doing something involving translucent textures to assist in that.

That being said, KILL THAT GREEN MAP WITH A RAKE!!!

Sometime after releasing DVII-1 I realized that I'll never be completely satisfied with DVII until I have completely drawn out ALL of the ideas that I originally planned for it. That is, DVII will be worked on until it is a megawad, as intended originally many years ago.

Doom Marine said:

Sometime after releasing DVII-1 I realized that I'll never be completely satisfied with DVII until I have completely drawn out ALL of the ideas that I originally planned for it. That is, DVII will be worked on until it is a megawad, as intended originally many years ago.

Holy Crap. Knowing how much care and detail you like put into your maps, that's pretty ambitious in regards to your sanity :)

Good luck, though. You're probably my favourite mapper currently active, and I can't wait to see what crazy stuff you come up with, and somehow make run well.

I've also recently been trying to figure out how you get some of those curves to blend together so neatly. Other than those 'flower' shapes in the great green map, the only thing I've figured out is that you must plan your maps a lot better than me. :P

The most recent screenies have a very Doom 3 Hell feel to them. I actually really like some of the shots.

The only real thing I would mention is the sprite of the Doomguy holding the two pistols. The pistols look to me like they are facing slightly outwards rather than towards the centre of the screen. It looks as if the right pistol should be in Doomguy's left hand and vice versa. Its a similar effect to when you put your shoes on the wrong feet and the toes are pointing outwards and it looks really weird.

And the bookshelf 'boxes' look kinda cheap.

But as usual, the styling is really unique. :) Amazing stuff

Doom Marine said:

DV11-2 = next great classic megawad!

Insane_Gazebo said:

I've also recently been trying to figure out how you get some of those curves to blend together so neatly. Other than those 'flower' shapes in the great green map

A combination of the "Curve Linedef" function, hand-dragging, and yes, careful planning beforehand, will give you the shape you want. The circle can also act as a geometrical guide to designing some of the regular polygon shapes as well, take the pentagram for example. While mapping, I regularly use a calculator and quick sketches on paper to plan ahead, especially on the more complex maps like Unholy Cathedral or Vrack4.

After I'm done mapping, I'll probably write a tutorial on the planning and design techniques that I've used in DVII.

Doom Marine said:

A combination of the "Curve Linedef" function, hand-dragging, and yes, careful planning beforehand, will give you the shape you want. The circle can also act as a geometrical guide to designing some of the regular polygon shapes as well, take the pentagram for example. While mapping, I regularly use a calculator and quick sketches on paper to plan ahead, especially on the more complex maps like Unholy Cathedral or Vrack4.

After I'm done mapping, I'll probably write a tutorial on the planning and design techniques that I've used in DVII.

A calculator!? Okay, I'm looking forward to the tutorial more than the maps now!

Doom Marine said:

Jesus, and I thought I was precise!

Sounds great, I can't wait to see all you've got planned--and seriously, good luck because that's a TON of work. That tutorial should be interesting, too.

In case anyone cares, I'm going around DVII (except for the hell maps) and "defanging" it. My taste as a Doomer have changed over the years. I was once really into slaughtermaps and considered everything else shit, but now I'm exploring the more gung-ho take-no-prisoner gameplay that is e1.

I think as a megawad, there's plenty of opportunity for hard fights over 32 maps. That being said, not every fight should be a titanic life-and-death struggle as I'm seeing in too much of DVII-1. A touch less difficult feel should lend itself to better enjoyment of the earlier maps. Some of those revenants have got to go.

Now rest assured, there's ten levels dedicated to hell, and some of them are going to beat Belial to death. One of the hell maps is a direct dedication to HR24 Post Mortem, name it Rigor Mortis, featuring a church dedicated to NIN. Prepare for rape.