Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Charlie Brown in College

That was just for the story arc I concluded today, so don't worry.

Here's a few character portraits I did for the project:

Interesting concept. It makes me think that contemporary appropriation of comic characters has come full circle. The first impulse is to take existing art and fill the voice bubbles with profanity, but we've moved past that. Then, the urge is still to parody the original work, but more subtly, with dialogue of deprecating or existential nature. Other sorts of twists pass through public consciousness: the strips are combined with pop culture in various ways, they are randomly rearranged so that one may read them as one reads tea leaves. But now, we have at least one artist who has moved past all of that, seen the folly of youthful rebellion and recognized the grace of the original format. We have an artist who merely wishes to continue the story of Charlie Brown and Friends, in a style and level of quality not unlike the original vignettes.

Neat.

Creaphis said:

Interesting concept. It makes me think that contemporary appropriation of comic characters has come full circle. The first impulse is to take existing art and fill the voice bubbles with profanity, but we've moved past that. Then, the urge is still to parody the original work, but more subtly, with dialogue of deprecating or existential nature. Other sorts of twists pass through public consciousness: the strips are combined with pop culture in various ways, they are randomly rearranged so that one may read them as one reads tea leaves. But now, we have at least one artist who has moved past all of that, seen the folly of youthful rebellion and recognized the grace of the original format. We have an artist who merely wishes to continue the story of Charlie Brown and Friends, in a style and level of quality not unlike the original vignettes.

Neat.

Yes.

Except if only it was something more original than a college comic, which seems to be the setting for half of the web comics out there. :(

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but at least college (or high school) is the setting for every other amateur web comic, and most webcomics are amateur comics, so it's close enough.

Ok. as an avid peanuts lover, I don't quite know what to think of this. Charles M Shultz never had his characters age or "grow up" for a reason.

Thanks for the comments, y'all. And cool speech, Creaphis!

Half the webcomics on the 'net are probably set in college because most of the authors are in college (and probably most of the readers, too). And I didn't wanna touch a high school setting with a ten foot pole. I'll leave that to the thousands of artists who're trying to make Charlie Brown into anime.

Patrick, it's not canon, so don't worry about it. It's just for fun.

I like the idea a lot. I can't say much about the execution of the idea because I haven't read any of your comics yet, but I like the style already. :)

We're coming around the last handful of strips. Then I'm ending the project to start an original one (the Charlie Brown thing is just practice for a real webcomic).

It's definitely an intrigueing concept, and part of me definitely gets a kick out of seeing the Peanuts cast all grown up.

This is really interesting. I like it. I'm glad you chose the college setting instead of the high school setting. I actually wouldn't mind seeing this become a full-fledged webcomic series.

I'd totally do it if there was a steady paycheck in it. I try not to spend too much time on fan stuff, even if I really enjoy it.

Impie said:

(the Charlie Brown thing is just practice for a real webcomic).

Whew, good. I don't care for this fanfiction type stuff where people may have some decent stories but don't even use their own creations. On that note, your artwork for this series is cool.

Use3D said:

I don't care for this fanfiction type stuff where people may have some decent stories but don't even use their own creations.

Yeah, I think fanfiction/fanart should be practice if anything. I almost did a graphic novel of Splatterhouse last year: it had some great stuff in it, but it's an awful lot of work for something that isn't all mine.

Gawd, I had intended to do only one cartoon strip for fun. Now I'm up to 28! But I couldn't have come up with that many if it'd hadn't had the Charlie Brown angle.

I've capped the project at 29 strips. Moving on to bigger and better things.