Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
neohylanmay

Trouble with Skin making

So I've been importing a bunch of sprites for a skin conversion and I've ran into a small problem.

As I editted the sprites in DOOM2.WAD, I want to save my changes as a new .WAD file. However, the nearest to a "Save As" function I can see in the Menu is the Merge function, which according to the Help file, merges any new data from another WAD.. unless I've interpreted this wrong, shouldn't that overwrite any changes I've made to the WAD? Is there an actual way I can save my changes to another WAD?

Chances are this is a very simple query and I've missed something very obvious, but I've checked the help files and I can't really find anything about it.

You're actually violating the first common sense rule of Doom editing: NEVER edit your Doom2.wad! Start a blank WAD first. You might not realize it, but you've probably just screwed your Doom2.wad file, and should you decide to play online with it, you're probably going to get disconnected due to a data mismatch.

DuckReconMajor said:

Yep, always nice to have 40 or 50 spare copies of the iwads around.

Haha. I've only got 16 copies of Doom2.wad on my hard drive. Time to make some backups...

Only 12 on mine - I'm feeling underpriviledged.

neohylanmay said:

So I've been importing a bunch of sprites for a skin conversion and I've ran into a small problem.

As I editted the sprites in DOOM2.WAD, I want to save my changes as a new .WAD file. However, the nearest to a "Save As" function I can see in the Menu is the Merge function, which according to the Help file, merges any new data from another WAD.. unless I've interpreted this wrong, shouldn't that overwrite any changes I've made to the WAD? Is there an actual way I can save my changes to another WAD?

Chances are this is a very simple query and I've missed something very obvious, but I've checked the help files and I can't really find anything about it.

The "Merge" function will add the contents of a wad to the one you're editing. It doesn't overwrite, so what you'll more likely wind up with is a lot of duplicate entries. Turning those sprites into a wad will have to be done the hard way.

• Use "Save As" to save copies of your sprites (as BMP's) to a temporary folder on your hard drive
  • Create a new wad (from the "File" menu) in the same folder
  • Create a pair of sprite markers (using "New" from the "Entry" menu) called "SS_START" and "SS_END"
  • Highlight "SS_START" and load your sprite bitmaps into the wad