Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Freeware: Shudder

Shudder: scream, cry, kiss your ass goodbye.

Download version 1.9 here: http://sites.google.com/site/5thmanstudio/home/shudder

The latest action game by Mike MacDee redefines frantic terror. The world faces a cosmic crisis as inter-dimensional rifts devour the earth piece by piece to prepare it for a terrible entity's arrival. You play a troubled, paintball-loving adolescent who's been sucked into the nightmare world beyond the rifts, and must somehow find his way back.

Here's what Shudder has to offer:

- WADS control scheme as slick as a bloody hospital floor

- Point-and-shoot mouse-aiming in 360 degrees

- Three devastating weapons: the long-range rifle, the wide-spread shotgun, and the crowd-scattering concussion rocket!

- Three handy power-ups: don an unbreakable shield, double your firing rate, and turn invisible!

- Two difficulty settings: Normal for the newbies, and Frantic for players who just hate themselves

- Ten unique enemies: eldritch horrors from the depths of your worst nightmares

- 25 chaotic levels spread across three chapters, each more harrowing than the last

- Tons and tons of secret areas and booby traps

- Crisp, eerie soundtrack delivered courtesy of the FMOD sound system

- Stunning story and graphics by yours truly!

Shudder is still in development, but this thread will be updated on its release. In the meantime, scope out these awesome screenshots:

Pick 'em off from far away with the rifle....

...or run-and-gun with the shotgun up close.

And when all else fails, there's plenty of rockets lying around!

You'll need quick maneuvering and quicker wits to survive. Weapons alone can't save you from situations like this.

Shudder takes you through three creepy environments and kills you again and again with a well-balanced bestiary.

Untamed64 said:

The screenshots kinda remind me of Phobia II

With 9,999% less bugs!

Are there any alternate download links? I keep getting an "operation aborted" error when I click on the link to filefront.

Damn, somebody at retro remakes had trouble downloading it too. Hasn't been an issue with my other games as far as I know.

It would've been moved by now if it was inappropriate, as would have the other two games I've posted in this forum.

Is there any way to port these Game Maker games to Linux?

I tried this one under the latest Wine but it gets graphics errors which stop you seeing the main menu screen properly.

Super Jamie said:

Is there any way to port these Game Maker games to Linux?

That's a good question....I'm sure somebody knows on the yoyogames forums or somewhere. I'll check up on it.

EDIT: I did a quick bit of research and got an idea. Apparently GM6 works on Linux, but 7 doesn't; the Shudder EXE was made in GM6 and converted into a GM7 EXE to make it compatible with Vista. I've uploaded a non-converted EXE for you to try. Replace the normal EXE with this one and let me know if it works or not.
http://www.filefront.com/14154673/shudder_linux.rar

Weird. It looks like it shifts everything up half a screen.

I'll letcha know if I find out anything else.

Please note I've updated the download. Now a text appears when you die telling you to hit R to restart or ESC to quit, and I've moved E1M2 to E1M5 on account of its difficulty.

Looks like Doom: those imps in the first picture, that blood sea, those grate bridges, the meat islands, the brown trees, the cubical bricks. Oh my. Good.

^
Indeed! I'd like to see a game like this (top down view) in the DooM universe... :)

Although, I admit, I haven't even played this yet!

It's like Quake, only pink!

I'd like to see a little top-view Doom, too. It'd be easy to convert some of the Shudder sprites into Doom critters, I bet.

UPDATE! Version 1.8 is available.

CHANGES FROM 1.0:

- Increased the atmosphere a bit (cloud generators, transparent slime rivers).

- Gave Shuddering Mass and Deathwalker major makeovers.

- Fixed a few secrets.

- Made a few minor changes to game manual (/obvious).

- User-friendly text pop-ups inform you of items grabbed, secrets found.

- Pushblocks and blastable blocks easier to find with a sharp eye.

- Hero turns transparent when hurt to indicate temporary invulnerability.

Check the download link in the first post!

Final update (I hope): Episode 1's difficulty curve is more user-friendly, and I made slight adjustments to the other episodes too. Check out the first post for the updated download.