Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

1994 tune-up challenge (*updated /idgames link*)

Is this a good idea?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yay
    • Nay

Alright, you've been added.

I haven't had time to access my computer since the surgery, but I plan to start spending time on it this week. Hopefully I can fix the current issues with my first map and start work on another. :)

Aldaraia said:

Alright, I'll join the tune-up challenge to the sound of Brian and Craig Sparks Map 2. :)

Heh, i was making that map too. May the best mapper win? :)

Subject: Re: ORIGWAD Update
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:01:02 +1000
To: t <t@underworldgamers.com>

Travers,

Nice to hear from you. I feel honoured that you would want to include my little piece of work. You have my permission to use ORIGWAD for this project. Good luck with it.

Jeffrey Bird

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:07 PM, t <t@underworldgamers.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> I hope this message finds you well.
>
> You may recall a little game by the name of Doom :o)
>
> There is still a relatively strong community for the game after
> all this time. Currently a group is undertaking a "community"
> project of sorts. It involves taking some of the early maps made
> by users shortly after Doom was released and reworking them,
> updating them to I guess whats considered a more modern level of
> detail and gameplay.
>
> I came across your ORIGWAD file and the significance of it being
> the first user created PWAD prompted me to re-create and re-work
> the map for the project. I was hoping you would be OK with such
> a thing? The map itself has been made again from scratch due to
> size of the original ORIGWAD however it will still be labeled as
> an updated version.
>
> To give you an idea of what I've done - I have "wedged" ORIGWAD
> between a shell of E1M8 of the original doom and a symbolic
> ending where the player will enter more user created maps (it
> was after all the first of many!).
>
> Here is a screenshot of the second room as re-created for the
> project.
>
> http://t.underworldgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/td-origwad1.jpg
>
> If you are not comfortable with this let me know as I will not
> have the map included unless you give permission for the
> re-creation.
>
> Kind regards,
> Travers Dunne

--
Jeffrey Bird
Computing Systems & Architecture
Information Technology & Resources
James Cook University

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now the only hurdle that remains is whether the map has enough substance to be worth putting in a playable set - being two rooms and all ;o)

@Krispavera: Yeh, if the player doesn't understand that the map is a re-creation of a map that only had two small-ish rooms it's not going to feel much like a cracking map to play. I'm not too fussed if it's left out because of this - it just seemed "right" to dress-up the first PWAD if we are doing 1994 maps ;o)

@WalterC: Thanks Walter, your map looks to be coming along quite well too :o)

-t

Oh, I understand now. At first I was like "where's the two boxy rooms with a door in the middle? Heh, clever.

The first post has been updated with all the latest info.

Please check that your map has a reject lump. If not, please recompile it and reupload it. I need to do this myself for my map.

I think I'll have to drop out. My work on COMCON.WAD was destroyed by an unexpected format of my hard drive three days ago, and I wasn't making much progress on it in the first place. If I do return to this project, I would rather do a smaller level.

Sorry, guys.

Ahh that's unfortunate, your progress earlier in the thread was looking really cool.

I'm sorry to hear that, Herring. Thank you for support and work on this project, though. :)

@rf
This is bugging the hell out of me but what kind of weapon mod are you using in those shots? cause im really interested in obtaining it if able

Keep up the good work cant wait for the finished product guys!

The Green Herring said:

I think I'll have to drop out. My work on COMCON.WAD was destroyed by an unexpected format of my hard drive three days ago, and I wasn't making much progress on it in the first place. If I do return to this project, I would rather do a smaller level.

Sorry, guys.

I'd like to take COMCON.wad, i've just played it and loved the non-linear nature of it, something i've never done, so it should be a good challenge :)

Lil Jawa023 said:

@rf
This is bugging the hell out of me but what kind of weapon mod are you using in those shots? cause im really interested in obtaining it if able

Keep up the good work cant wait for the finished product guys!

I just made a quick mod from Eriance's weapons (mostly from DE and stuff from his zdoom thread). It doesn't change anything really fundamental other than looks and sounds (and adds blood effects to monsthers).

Here are three very early shots showing the entrance to comcon.wad. First i tried ripping off the work done by the green herring, but i went for something simpler (heavy influenced by vader's thunderpeak, not as cool by a long shot though).

Before:
1 2 3

After:
1 2 3

Please ignore the STARTAN2 textures (the light brown techie texture), as they should be replaced by something else in the near future. Also, the ASHWALL textures are just placeholders for the shotgun guys windows

maggot202: I'm digging those shots; though I think the startan walls could use some more detail.

Updates are looking good, guys. :)

What is the status for the replacement texture pack? It was looking pretty good but I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Today, I played Mr. Freeze's take on HHH-21.WAD. When I loaded the level, I found myself near the room where the red key is. After taking care of the monsters in there, I teleported out, telefragged a sergeant, and looked around to find both a pain elemental and a voodoo doll. Then I went in the corridor and tried to open the door, only to find that it required a key I did not have and could not obtain, leaving me stuck. As it turns out, there are three Player 1 Starts in the level. How did this happen?

Man, rf, that's some crazy tuning up there. Can hardly recognize the map, although adding the original as Map02 was kinda cool, let me see the parts that were similar. I have (quite a) few comments on it. The detailing is extraordinary and doesn't really get in the way of the gameplay, but about 2/3 of the way through the map it turned from a hard middle map with plentiful monsters but mostly low to mid monsters, to a harder, almost slaughter-map feel, with some large groupings of chaingunners, cacos, and revenants and quite a few barons, and very little ammo for things beside the rocket launcher and plasma gun (I didn't really think I'd need the BFG and I was mostly right - in the hell part with the triple cage room about before the 10-15 baron/caco teleport fight I was down to about 10% health. I saved there and went into god mode but didn't really get hit and there weren't any hitscanners there, so I just said w/e and went on out of godmode when I got a bit more health. never used the BFG though.).

I pretty much ran past the cyberdemon and horde in the berserk pack room, and from then on it was pretty meh, as there were a few imps and zombies before the exit. A bit of a let-down after the slaughter-map-feel ramp up in difficulty.

Overall a real nice map, worth the half hour or so it took to finish it.

The Green Herring said:

Today, I played Mr. Freeze's take on HHH-21.WAD. When I loaded the level, I found myself near the room where the red key is. After taking care of the monsters in there, I teleported out, telefragged a sergeant, and looked around to find both a pain elemental and a voodoo doll. Then I went in the corridor and tried to open the door, only to find that it required a key I did not have and could not obtain, leaving me stuck. As it turns out, there are three Player 1 Starts in the level. How did this happen?

Oh for fuck's sake...I must've skipped over that.

Fixed version at: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jhfjq2mzzym

Hi Snarboo,

I'm learning some more of the Boom special's. I've just started messing with the transfer light specials in another map so have updated td-wille1m1.wad to use those for a few area's where I had previously used sector bleeding.

I'd like to use the transfer heights special for the blood pools but because I have a sector that drops into the pool I'm not so sure it would work all that well. Anyone know if this is possible?

Below is an updated link. (and now that i've turned off Wordpress' auto folder organising is more permanent too.)

http://t.underworldgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/td-wille1m1.zip

Cheers,
Travers