Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lost Heretic

Scythe 2 Demos [-complevel 2]

I was browsing my early demos and found max for map01 in 1:17 which is only one second faster than Xit`s recording. Quite pleasant surprise for me actually, it was recorded over half-year ago :-)

EDIT: i placed it in a wrong thread, though (-complevel 9).

s201-117.zip

skepticist said:
EDIT: i placed it in a wrong thread, though (-complevel 9).

No problem, especially considering it's a pre-existing demo you had lying around, worth showing. It also suffers from a compatibility issue and requires -emulate in PrBoom+ to avoid a desynch (-emulate 2.4.8.1 worked but some later ones I tried didn't.)

myk said:

It also suffers from a compatibility issue and requires -emulate in PrBoom+ to avoid a desynch (-emulate 2.4.8.1 worked but some later ones I tried didn't.)

Hmm... It does not desync in PrBoom+ for me (I use version 2.5.0.3). I wonder why this happened to you.

That's strange! When it desynchs you kill the two remaining zombiemen by the shotgun (near the beginning) in one shot, taking the second shot at thin air. I tried with the 2.5.0.4 test (where I then applied emulation) and with 2.5.0.3 plainly. Perhaps it depends on a setting that wasn't being passed over by earlier versions properly and when you play it back it doesn't matter as that setting is the same in your CFG from when you recorded the demo.

TimeOfDeath said:
map02 max w/50% secrets 1:58
map02 max 2:06
map02 reality/max 3:10

By the way, these are longtics demos.

Yes, I added -longtics to my recording batch file almost a month ago. I can't remember exactly but I think it was to see if I could do a glide in dominion of madness.

skepticist said:

Hmm... It does not desync in PrBoom+ for me (I use version 2.5.0.3). I wonder why this happened to you.

player_bobbing 0 in cfg did not work correctly with BOOM complevels since PrBoom 2.2.2. (2001) Fixed in PrBoom-Plus 2.5.0.4

watching akse's tas runs was pissing me off a bit, tbh, so i decided to improve some of the 'oh so perfect' runs i made earlier :)

map01 UV-speed in 0:22
map02 UV-speed in 0:31
map04 UV-speed in 0:23
map06 nomo in 0:06.96

i've included a 7.26 uv-speed in that map06 nomo. it's a bit faster than vono's record and it might show the way to either real or TAS'ed 6s uv-speed. i lost patience, because my computer skips during the first second or so of all recordings. and that's quite important here. :)

s2dew7.zip

Sick running, looks aggresive and rushed (in a good way). Map01 looks ridiculously fast, epic pig hall luck :)
Btw my compu skips ~1 second in prboom too if i use fullscreen mode, but in a windowed there is no such problem.

dew said:
i lost patience, because my computer skips during the first second or so of all recordings. and that's quite important here. :)

Is that while it's changing screen resolution? In that case, using Doom+ on DOSBox in full screen mode might be better, as long as you don't have an older system.

thanks, jongo. some praise always motivates me to do more. :) here's one i didn't think i could improve, luckily i haven't forgotten gliding yet...

map23 uv-speed/pacifist in 0:19

also, thanks for the advices, guys. i might explore it a bit, but having smooth starts and actually reaching 6s are still two very different things. in the end, it's all about revenant luck. it might come handy elsewhere, though.

and last, but not least... tatsurd, please keep on doing new maxes, they're great and the dsda table looks less like my spam attack. :)

s223p019.zip

Great tatsurd, anyway how about doing some solid max run on map20 - I mean something around 7 minutes?

Greetings denizens of the speedrunning forum!

I planned to hold my tounge until I had accomplished the entirity of the task I have set myself. But no more! As my excitement has reached boiling point.

I have been working on a UV -Fast pack for Scythe II for several months now and currently have 18 maps completed. Unfortunately due to the sudden announcement of the second release, the first 8 maps were recorded with the first release. Furthermore due to the unexpected release of a new version of Prboom-plus (finally!) I have been using (Prboom-plus v2.5.0.1 with -complevel 2) for recording.

Whilst the smoothness of the demos can be called into question, I am very happy with the times for almost all of them. In some circumstances beating even the 'UV Max' time, until tatsurdcacocaco became inspired enough to improve them :)

I shall post a few of my favourite ones demos yet I ask 'Andy Olivera' not to upload them to the DSDA. I'd prefer to release a complete pack upon completion.

Can't wait for MAP30, that's going to be damn enjoyable. Thanks to Angus for his relentless perseverence and dedication in creating an exceptional 22 min demo :) Feel free to offer any hints on optimizing the route for each map, I would be most grateful. Currently I've been looking at previous records to scavenge up ideas.

Please attach a .zip file. We have nothing to see as for now, maybe that's because when you attach a file and then use "Preview Reply" button, it is gone (needed to be attached once again before pressing "Submit Reply"). I've had problems with it, too.

I anticipated the possibiity of the attachment not working as it did not show up instantly, then I headed to the FAQ which explained it must be approved by a moderator before being shown. Oh well hope this works.

s2f-preview-krypto.zip

Yeah, the FAQ is outdated in that respect. Attachments don't need approval and they can be up to 200 KB.

nicely done! btw, gusta told me map02 was an object of a certain czech speedrunning contest last winter and the winning time was 31 (both mr. twister and psichotik), so good job. :) now please do map03, there's loads to improve and i'm scared of the outside areas :)

skepticist said:

map03 UV-max in 2:58.

EDIT: improved to 2:44.

just out of curiosity: i'm using the prboom+ launcher to launch demos from within a zip file, and iirc this often doesn't work with your demos.
i'm getting the error message W_AddFile: couldn't find scythe2.wad although it's in the prboom+ folder.
i have to copy the demo file to the prboom+ folder instead and doubleklick it from there. why does this happen?

otherwise, i like your controlled style, quite nice to watch (and to attempt to copy ;)

Torr Samaho said:

otherwise, i like your controlled style, quite nice to watch (and to attempt to copy ;)

yeah, his style is so economical. i think this is how mr. winston wolfe would play doom. :)

i'm getting the error message W_AddFile: couldn't find scythe2.wad although it's in the prboom+ folder.
i have to copy the demo file to the prboom+ folder instead and doubleklick it from there. why does this happen?

weird, works ok for me. I've had the same stuff happen to the majority (but not all) of demos when i associated lmp-files with prboom+ in my totalcommander and put "-symbols around the demoloading command (can't explain it better :S)
Anyway, looked through uvmaxes, good work guys, solid improvements everywhere! Keep 'em coming ;)

I agree with Gusta. Around 7 min is possible enough.

Plz don't do 7min here! The longer the demo is, the better i feel, LOL. Probably because of final fantasy music, which i cannot stop listening to. Just kidding, ok))

jongo said:

weird, works ok for me. I've had the same stuff happen to the majority (but not all) of demos when i associated lmp-files with prboom+ in my totalcommander and put "-symbols around the demoloading command (can't explain it better :S)

i use total commander too, and it happens in TC and windows explorer alike.

Scythe II Episode V UV TAS Speed Movie

Map21 - 0:34
Map22 - 0:50
Map23 - 0:16
Map24 - 0:55
Map25 - 1:14
Total - 3:49

==============================================
Recorded using GLBoom-Plus 2.5.0.4 & Doom Replay Editor 2.0
Strafe50 is always ON
==============================================
prboom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file scythe2.wad