Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks enjay, i owe ya, the models are now in use in all of my current levels, i must say, they make this project look GOOD. ill post screenies soon.

Doom64Marine said:

Ceejay would you be willing to map for this?

I'm not really a mapper, so no. I only know the basics. The only thing i probaly could help you with is resources (i can extract stuff from Dark Forces and Jedi Knight) and if you were someday planning on swaping your project to the EDGE engine, i could code for you.

Sorry dp again.

ive thought about it and it makes more sence to make this mod for edge than it does gzdoom, edge is a little more advanced, the only issue is i have no freakin clue how to make scripts and stuff in edge. so ill be releasing 2 versions of this mod, the gzdoom/skulltag version, and the edge version.

I can help you with the EDGE version, no problem. However scripting (RTS, Radious Triggered Scripting) i'm not an expert off, but i do parly understand it so it's probably no choir to master it. DDF scripting, however, i am a master of. I can send you what i've done of the old SW project i was working on (you already have the WAD i sent you earlier). EDGE supports room-over-room, dynamic lightning, slopes and i believe it supports 3d-floors along with a ton of other features. Maybe if i help you, perhaps you could help me with a little project of mine (i need some level editing for some already existing levels, no big stuff).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that EDGE also support MD2 models now.

EDIT 2: http://www.wadsinprogress.info/index.php?a=listwads&wad=1268
this is my project i was talking about, i need somebody to do some mostly minor changes to the levels.

Sorry to derail, but...

Ixnatifual said:

I'm wondering if there's any good ports for Dark Forces? Duke has EDuke32, Doom of course has plenty of ports, but has any been made for Dark Forces? Not really into playing it on DosBox as I'll get stuck with crap resolution, crap FPS and possibly poor controls.

The mapper in DOSBox can be used to reassign keyboard keys to other keyboard keys, so you can use a WASD setup. The emulator's mouse sensitivity can be increased, giving you mouselook along the horizontal axis, though you'll still need keys to look up and down. There are a couple of other caveats (alt-fire can't be mapped to right-click and there isn't a key to toggle between running and normal speed), but I'm pretty comfortable with the controls.

DOSBox can output in whatever resolution you want, so I'm not sure what that's about.

the project looks nice ceejay, i love wolf3d and would be willing to map for you :) btw if edge supports sector over sector, or moving sectors, i think it would be a good idea to make a version for it.

Progress:

SecBase - 99% needs bug test.
Talay - 95% few glitches but works.
Seweres - 3% Started, cus armouredblood seems to have disappeared
Research Base - 68% or so , needs finishing
Gromas - 19% Just peachy, but is complex.
DTention - 5% Started but i cant get the freakin' moving 3d floor working.
Sprites - 0%, awaiting further orders from my sprite people.
Models - More or less done, thanks to Enjay
Sounds - 30% kyle/item sounds integrated
Graphics - 10% Custom Title Screen made, custom cursor would be nice.
Multiplayer - uh... player starts are there, bigger elevators etc made, SP needs to be done before i optimize it.
Textures - 90%, some are missing because of incompatibility.

1 slot available unless Armouredblood shows up.

slot 1 - Doom64Marine, Mapper and overall Project Admin.
Slot 2 - Enjay, model conversions
Slot 3 - Ceejay, Sprites
Slot 4 - Lord_Z Enemy/weapon Programming
Slot 5 - non-existent mapper

For Those of you watching who don't think this will get finished, i assure you, i take my projects seriously, even if i lose all of my volunteers im still finishing this, its something Ive always wanted and i wont stop until it is done.

Doom64Marine said:

For Those of you watching who don't think this will get finished, i assure you, i take my projects seriously, even if i lose all of my volunteers im still finishing this, its something Ive always wanted and i wont stop until it is done.

I like your attitude, but do understand that a project of this magnitude will most likely take a long time to finish. Losing motivation along the road for such a big project is not uncommon, regardless of how one may feel about it in the present.

Sorry for not posting here lately, I was a bit occupied with some area 42 mapping, and watching things like this ;). I don't really think I'm up for this, at least not at the rate of mapping you're going at. I haven't done more than some room documenting and 2 or 3 rooms. If you want I'll send you what I got to work off, but I think I needed to do some scaling, so it's probably better to start from scratch.

No problem, i figured you had better to do, thanks for the attempt.]
Thats a shame too, this projects gonna be pretty amazing.

Lord_Z you still around?

nice work, very faithful to the original. the only thing i don't really like: the common star wars textures. every room looks the same, the walls are quite monotonous.

Doom64Marine said:

DTention - 5% Started but i cant get the freakin' moving 3d floor working.

The closest I can think of is using a bunch of sectors with raising and lowering extra floors combined with conveyor belts and a 3d model.

The elevator puzzle in that level is one of my favorite. That one seems relatively unproblematic with GZdoom. The elevator doors might be a bit tricky.

Moving platforms are easier to do in cutscenes. There, you can use skyboxes to create quite complex illusions of moving sectors. There is a demo wad somewhere demonstration it with a 3rd person view of a driving car.

A funny part of this map is that one of the elevator shafts intersects a room, which only works since there is no BSP. I think, you easily could avoid this problem by moving the room slightly.

Don't worry, I am still here. I have a bunch of the enemies at 90% completion but I am missing a few things. For one, the officer in the wad you sent is the wrong color but more importantly, I am going to need the sound effects for all the enemies. The ones in the wad are from Jedi Knight and while some of them can be used, it would be better to get the ones from DF, if possible (maybe CeeJay can help with the sounds?). I also need the sprites of a laser hitting the wall. The set in the wad is for the repeater, not the E11 blaster rifle which will be needed for a handful of the enemies.

Lord_Z said:

For one, the officer in the wad you sent is the wrong color but more importantly,

Yeah, i used a diffrent color for the officer because in the original movies they clearly wore black/grey suits. Some sources claim that diffrent colours represent diffrent ranks.

Lord_Z said:

I am going to need the sound effects for all the enemies. The ones in the wad are from Jedi Knight and while some of them can be used, it would be better to get the ones from DF, if possible (maybe CeeJay can help with the sounds?).

I used mainly sounds from Jedi Knight because they are of much higher quality. See below.

Lord_Z said:

I also need the sprites of a laser hitting the wall. The set in the wad is for the repeater, not the E11 blaster rifle which will be needed for a handful of the enemies.

I will get around to extracting the resources from the game, but i need a little time. I am going to start working a possible version for EDGE asoon as i can.

ok cool, im glad that people are still interested. im starting on DeathMatch Maps, ive got a few good ideas. if anyone needs it i have the original files from df, like sounds.gob or sprites.gob

Just wanted to say: It's cool to see you so dedicated to this. I've got too much going on right now to help out, but godspeed you doom64marine.

I want this mod to be great, and fun. i don't plan to give up on something so easily, even if some of its original levels are complex, for all those who are currently helping, i salute you, and Kris for encouragement.

And Yes Ive decided that EDGE will be my next objective when this version is done.

LogicDeLuxe said:

A funny part of this map is that one of the elevator shafts intersects a room,

Which floor, and by how much? Does it defy physics?

i don't think so, but its a little ridiculous, and looks funny on the map. i think Ive decided to call the death match game mode for this mod
Dark Match.

Doom64Marine said:

huh...oh well. guess ill call it something else.

How about LASUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS-mode then?

To be fair, there is nothing wrong with "Dark Match". It's just that I remembered the name from Unreal.

DF has no multiplayer... unless multiplayer is this TC's high point over DF...