Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sparerib1968

Thing count during play

Is there a way to make EE report the number or units of any particular thing type remaining on the map during play?

For example, EE reports monsters in terms of kills / initial_count (where initial_count does not include LostSoul things.) Maps which include PainElemental things or Archvile things frequently end with kills much greater than initial_count. I want to know if any LostSoul things or resurrected things remain on the map. (Sure this has probably come up before, but I think my idea is a bit different than anything I have read on the forums so far.)

Another example is item count, where I want to know how many of a particular type of item remain on the map. EE shows how many items remain to be collected, but that count does not include:

- WeaponChainsaw things
- StimPack things and MedKit things
- AmmoClip things and AmmoBulletBox things
- AmmoShells things and AmmoShellBox things
- AmmoRocket things and AmmoRocketBox things
- AmmoCell things and AmmoCellPack things
- some other things

(You could say that these are not items, but they are things.)

So in my mind I imagine a console command to do what I want might look something like count thing_mnemonic. The result would be the quantity of that thing remaining displayed in the console or perhaps the message area of the game screen. For example, a console session with the hypothetical new command might look similar to this:

$count LostSoul
12 LostSoul things remain in play

$count DoomImp
25 DoomImp things remain in play

$count WeaponChainsaw
0 WeaponChainsaw things remain in play
Make sense?

EDIT: I changed thing names to match the Eternity mnemonics listed on http://doom.wikia.com/index.php?title=User:Gez&oldid=57333, thanks to Gez. I also reworded some parts hoping to further clarify my purpose.

Really? That is an encouraging response. May I reasonably hope for such a feature in the near future?

As always, thank you very much for Eternity Engine. It is my favorite port.

sparerib1968 said:

count_remaining lost_soul
count_remaining imp
count_remaining stimpack
Make sense?

Would be count lostsoul, count doomimp, and count stimpack. ;)

Most monsters don't disappear, though. Better add a flag condition. "count doomimp shootable" is one.

Gez said:

Would be count lostsoul, count doomimp, and count stimpack. ;)

Of course that would be fine. I wrote count_remaining only to be unambiguous about my purpose. The name of the command would be less important than its function IMHO.

Quasar said:

e_dumpthings is your friend :P

I am sorry, but I do not understand how e_dumptings will count things. It only displays mnemonics and editing numbers. Please explain what you have in mind with a little more detail. I would like to know what to do, or where to read, to accomplish the purpose outlined in my original post.

console_ref.html said:

e_dumpthings

Lists all EDF thing type mnemonics along with the DeHackEd numbers and doomednums of the corresponding types.

$e_dumpthings
deh#   ed#    name
    1     -1  DoomPlayer
    2   3004  Zombieman
    3      9  Sergeant
. . .
I have spent a couple of hours reading though the documents provided with EE and have not yet found a way to do it.

sparerib1968 said:

Of course that would be fine. I wrote count_remaining only to be unambiguous about my purpose. The name of the command would be less important than its function IMHO.

The point of my post was to say that the name of the lost soul wasn't lost_soul but lostsoul, and the imp's was doomimp.

Here's a full list of mnemonics for Doom map things, it lists their name in the original source code, the name of their spawn state in same, their class name in ZDoom and in Eternity, and their dehacked, map editor, and ACS spawn numbers. (Note: it's based on my custom build of ZDoom, don't expect to see the last three actors in official builds...)

Quasar and Gez, I am very sorry for using imprecise language. I have updated my original post with the mnemonics listed for Eternity. I hope this helps find a way to count things during play.

All I was saying is that you use e_dumpthings to find out the proper name of thingtypes as defined by EDF ;) So after I implement this counting command for you, you will use it with those names.

I understand that now, thanks to Gez for pointing it out. Of course using Eternity's own mnemonics makes much more sense than inventing a whole new set specialized for only one command. It was just a silly mistake on my part not looking them up before posting.

Quasar, I am truly grateful that you would take the time to read and respond to my feature request. I am looking forward to it, so thank you very much and keep up the good work.