Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eargosedown

Doomguy's Pistol

I'm going to be attempting a model of it soon on a 3d perspective for a project, but I really couldn't find any sourcing as to what weapon model it actually is (be it a real model, a toy like the shotgun, or an improvision like the plasma rifle). Was this ever credited with a source, or is it still unknown?
If the latter is the case, anyone got a good guess?

I want a Beretta M9 so I can go down to the shooting range, hold it left-handed, and spew Doom Comic Quotes.

Mr. Freeze said:

I want a Beretta M9 so I can go down to the shooting range, hold it left-handed, and spew Doom Comic Quotes.

RIP AND TEAR!

Mr. Freeze said:

I happen to have a92fs, and I happen to be left handed. sooooo.

NOW YOU"RE COOKING WITH PLASMA!

Probably a stupid question, but do they make left-handed firearms? I mean, they're fairly ambidextrous tools, but things like the safety switches and semi/auto/off switches might become less accessible to lefties.

Just kind of an idle thought.

Nomad said:

Probably a stupid question, but do they make left-handed firearms? I mean, they're fairly ambidextrous tools, but things like the safety switches and semi/auto/off switches might become less accessible to lefties.

The closest thing you will usually find is left-handed bolt action rifles, or semi-auto rifles that can have the charging handle and/or ejection port switched to the opposite side. Many semi-auto rifles and pistols have ambidextrous controls such as safeties, slide/bolt releases, and magazine catches, though having all three is not incredibly common.

The M9 has an ambidextrous safety and reversible magazine release button. (A fully ambi mag release can be pressed from both sides, but a reversible is set up for one side or the other.) The slide stop is only on the left side, but this is less of a problem because you can just pull back on the slide to release it after inserting a loaded magazine.

Nomad said:

Just kind of an idle thought.

Basically what Bloodshedder said. The only real reason to have a left- or right-handed weapon would be in case of a shell ejection, and usually on a semi-auto or auto style weapon where the case of a hot shell being spit out across your chest could cause injury. Although, in honesty, I've never actually seen a left-handed shotgun.

Which is also weird.

Doomguy punchs with his left hand, shoot his pistol with his left hand, but fires his shotgun, racks the shotgun like a right-handed person and reloades his super-shotgun like a right-handed person.

I remember reading someone (on the ZDoom forum I think) explaining that Doom Guy's handling of the various weapons was consistent with what someone who is a cross-dominant lefty would do; favoring his left hand for the small pistol which can be held in front of him anyway, but otherwise favoring his right eye for all the long weapons.

Gez said:

I remember reading someone (on the ZDoom forum I think) explaining that Doom Guy's handling of the various weapons was consistent with what someone who is a cross-dominant lefty would do; favoring his left hand for the small pistol which can be held in front of him anyway, but otherwise favoring his right eye for all the long weapons.

Aye, my father is the same way; He's right eye dominant, but left handed. As a result, in order to fire a carbine/rifle type weapon correctly, he has to fire it right-handed, otherwise the view down the sights will be off. However, with a weapon held directly infront of him, left handed would be the way to go, as your eye dominance makes no difference.

lol.

Yeah it seems like the doomguy is cross-dominant.

A person that is left-handed, but right-eye dominant does odd stuff with weapons. Handguns are easy to hold with the left hand and look down the sights with the right eye.

Rifles are a bitch though. Since a leftie-cross dominant wants to hold it like a leftie, but wants to try to look down the sights with his right eye, which has him leaning his entire face over the rifle.

military training might have instilled the Doomguy to hold his rifle/ longarm firearm like a righty so when he snaps his weapon to his shoulder, it rises to his strong eye.

But he naturally punches with his left and with a handgun, cross-eye dominance is pointless because its simple to hold with one hand and scan through the sights with another.

eargosedown said:

Aye, my father is the same way; He's right eye dominant, but left handed. As a result, in order to fire a carbine/rifle type weapon correctly, he has to fire it right-handed, otherwise the view down the sights will be off. However, with a weapon held directly infront of him, left handed would be the way to go, as your eye dominance makes no difference.

doesn't that just make the doomguy even more badass?

Csonicgo said:

doesn't that just make the doomguy even more badass?

Lets see:

Only one to survive hell invading your moon base; Pretty cool.

Instead of being a bitch and running from demons and zombies, going to kill them; Badass.

Instead of just clearing the moon base, going through the teleporter, and then through bloody HELL to stop the invasion/get some revenge; Very badass.

Doing all of the above with your odd hand? That's simply epic.