Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mettska

Killed in Map10

Hi,
please excuse my bad english. It wasnt my favourite subject, German Version below, for those who wants to read an understandble version :-D.

Freedoom is a great game! I use 0.6.4. and I'm not able to get through Map10. It is a realy hard map and I stop in room, the blue door is. I killed the black monsters in the floor before and get the munition and medikit there and even pulled the switch. But after that I'm killed every time. I tried to kill all monsters, wich are on the "floor", but I cant get further, in cause of all the other monsters and less munition for all weapons. (Is this normal, that these monsters from the floor are standing up again after a short time?) Then I tried to run through the room and the door above, but it doesn't work, either. Is there a trick I didn't get?

Ich benutze Freedoom 0.6.4. und scheitere in Map10. Die ist ganz schön hart, aber in dem Raum mit der blauen Tür scheitere ich komplett. Ich hab's geschafft in dem Flur davor die vier schwarzen Typen zu töten und auch alles aus diesem Raum rauszuholen, sowie den Schalter zu betätigen. Danach gehts aber nicht mehr weiter. Wenn ich diese ganzen Viecher und das Skelett, die auf dem Boden rumlaufen, töte, dann hab ich trotzdem keine Chance, da mich dann die anderen Monster töten, nicht zuletzt weil ich keine Munition mehr hab. Ist das eigentlich normal, dass diese Kreaturen wieder auferstehen? Außerdem hab ich versucht, einfach blind durch den Raum zu laufen und dann durch die Tür zu entkommen - hoffnungslos. Gibt es nen Trick den ich übersehe?

Map10 is broken in another place.
I think the place you describe is a big room, with many monsters.

The problem is the archvile, which can resurrect dead monsters.
Archvile still look like skeletons, which is a temporary look because
no one has yet made a sprite for the archvile.

The best way to kill them is to get a plasma gun, run up to them and
corner them (because they jump around like mad otherwise) and hold
down the trigger until they die. Otherwise they keep resurrecting
monsters that get between you and them and that uses up your ammo.

That may be a bad idea in that particular room, because there are
several other bad monsters that will kill you if you enter.

Best strategy is to target the skeleton first, before you kill anything else. That way, once the skeleton is dead, the others will
stay dead. Watch out for the fire, when you see flames around you,
it means the skeleton has targeted you and you are about to get hit
by an invisible rocket (or something, graphics are not done yet).
Move back around the corner until the fire goes away.

Fighting Archviles gives you a kill stat over 100%, because you get
to kill some of the monsters around them twice, or even four times.

MAP10 already has improvements that will be in the next release,
along with several new maps. I do not know yet when the next release
will be, some stuff is still be worked out.

Mettska said:

Thank you. The dailybuilds doesnt work, so I will try and try and try. I think I will get it.

The download wont work? The wad wont work? What port are you playing if the wad wont work? It really is broken, just skip that map.

prboom. doom2.wad and freedm.wad I think are usable for starting the game. But the level doesnt load.

How can I skip the map?

Mettska said:

prboom. doom2.wad and freedm.wad I think are usable for starting the game. But the level doesnt load.

How can I skip the map?

You don't need doom2.wad. That's the point in Freedoom. You can warp to a level by typeing "idclevxx" in-game, where xx is the map number you want to warp to. like "idclev11" for map 11.

One other thing about that big room. It also has a monster
which is up on the balcony guarding a bunch of stuff. This is really a huge monster with chainguns on its arms. You can hear the chainguns. It is a very tough monster. If it can see you, you can see it, then you are probably being hit by machine gun fire from it. The sprite for it has not been made yet, so another is being used, but it is way too short. The monster is actually much taller and can see you easily. Shoot some rockets over its head and you can see them explode against the actual monster.

It can hit you when you are halfway up the stairs.
Shoot back, it is very big and anything shot near the center of the
balcony is probably hitting it. Watch for the explosions and blood splatters.