Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Access Violation Exception

I'm crashing at a certain spot in my level with SVN versions Oct 22 (r884), Oct 23 (r886) and Oct 24 (r888).

Crashlog: r884 and r888.

[UPDATE] Tested with more earlier versions (up to r810, and the official 3.35.92 release) and it seems to happen there too. Maybe I changed something in my map for the worse, I don't know, but "this didn't happen before" (TM).

Any files or instructions you can provide to cause the crash? Without the same compiler setup used to build the SVN revisions I can only guess at where those crash addresses point.

Or send me your own compiled revision and I'll duplicate the crash and post that crashlog again. Try glahaut at hotmail dot com.

Crash is happening on this stack call:

R_RenderPlayerView
 R_RenderBSPNode
  R_Subsector
   R_AddLine
    R_ClipSolidWallSegment
     R_StoreWallRange
      R_RenderSegLoop (00480b00)
I cannot jump to any conclusions, but this is a weird place for a crash unless there is actually something wrong with the map. In order for this to be a bug in EE, it must be a really bad one, yet one that is really well hidden. Any chance of getting some data that can cause this crash so that we can capture it live? :>

Using older map revisions, I've possibly tracked it down to the position of one of the (many, may) linked portals. Moving one of them around the map area causes the problem area to move around too. So far I haven't found a safe position for that portal.

Portal problems I've had plenty :) But it hasn't actually crashed the engine up until now.

[UPDATE] Think I've pinpointed the problem... at one point the offending portal was touching (zero depth) another portal when rendered. Removing that section without moving the portal made the problem seem to go away.

I've seen this before... engine is quite forgiving with overlapping portals, but if they touch (aka no overlap but zero space between them) the engine goes cuckoo.

BTW, can you make EE remember fullscreen selection? It seems to jump back to windowed mode at the next run (after normal exit).

It wasn't anything wrong with your map. It was a problem with out-of-range floats being converted to integers. The behavior of Visual C++ 2008 seems to differ from that of Visual C++ 6.0 so we had not personally caught this yet.

EE development will be moving to VS 2008 by the end of this year, however.

All the Eternity builds on DRD Team were compiled with MSVC 2005 Express. (I'm reluctant to update to 2008/2010 because I don't like having to register for free stuff. There's also other reasons, I've heard something compiled with 2008 will not run on Win9x.)

Gez said:

All the Eternity builds on DRD Team were compiled with MSVC 2005 Express. (I'm reluctant to update to 2008/2010 because I don't like having to register for free stuff. There's also other reasons, I've heard something compiled with 2008 will not run on Win9x.)

Which is why I'll be maintaining the 6.0 project also, at least until we're sure there aren't any Win9x stragglers, or it becomes completely impossible (seriously people, it's time to upgrade :P ).

There may be difficulties maintaining the Aeon scripting system for 6.0, as Mozilla no longer supports that platform. 6.0 also cannot compile for x64 targets. Staying with it permanently is simply not an option. We get too many complaints about the outdated project for a commercial compiler as is, anyway :P

But 2005 is 8.0, and thus, less outdated than what you use. I'm fairly sure it supports x64, and it's still friendly to stragglers.