• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Sixty-Year Old Woman Who Has Played Doom For Years

From my GMail account today:

--- --- ---

Hi,

I just wanted to tell you that Dvii-li was a fantastic wad! You have mentioned dvii-lu. Could you please forward to me the download, that would be appreciated.

Also if you could stear me in the right direction for gzdoom. I am using a front end loader for zdoom (ZDL), which makes it much easier to play.

I see though some of the games I cannot play with just zdoom and really would like if possible a frontend loader for gzdoom. Makes it much easier to see, than to try in the codes at the dos line.

I must also tell you that I am a 60 year old woman, and have been playing the dooms for years.

Lynette

--- --- ---

She plays Deus Vult II NO LESS!

I am going to steer her in the direction of the Doomworld community. God bless her.

Because of this alone, I will initiate mapping DVII-2 again.

She's probably the odd one out in her age group. Wonder if there are any others?

And why not? I'm 61 and I've played Doom right from the beginning. Before I got a PC in the 90s I had an Amiga, and before that a C64. Most of my friends of my age are also gamers, although not all of them still play Doom, they're more into Halo and stuff.

Now if the woman had been 80 and a Doomer that really would have been something!

On second thoughts, it's not her age but her sex I find remarkable. Are there many female Doom nuts here? (I'm a guy last time I checked.)

DuckReconMajor said:

DONT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT

Likewise, if you receive any emails from supposed Doomers in Nigeria, who need you to send them money so that they can buy Internet credits to upload some amazing WAD, might not be a good idea.

Well my dad is 63 and he introduced me to Doom. That is, we bought Doom when it came out and I sat on his lap pressing the space bar to open doors (I was 2).

He still plays it, but has no idea what a pwad or even what a wad is.

Krispavera said:

Well my dad is 63 and he introduced me to Doom. That is, we bought Doom when it came out and I sat on his lap pressing the space bar to open doors (I was 2).

He still plays it, but has no idea what a pwad or even what a wad is.

Sounds like somebody needs some enlightenment.

My dad mostly looks at games and admires the graphics (he's a tech junkie), although I have been able to get him to play a few rounds of Tiger Woods. My mom's the one who plays games; she prefers ones that don't require any kind of reflexes and don't have deaths or "game over"'s.

There's also my grandmother - pushing 90 and still plays her GameBoy.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Sounds like somebody needs some enlightenment.

I've shown him what levels I've made for Doom, but he's perfectly content just playing the original game. He's more of a Rome: Total War/Steel Panthers/X-Com guy anyways.

Krispavera said:

For some reason, this sort of close, honest father-son relationship reminds me of this. Sit down and learn, my son.

Al Bundy said:
Al: Bud, sit down. Let me tell you the story of the Ferguson. Now these babies were made in Maine, you know, at the little Ferguson factory. It's the Stradivarius of toilets. And my Dad could play it like a violin.

Yup, I'll never forget the time my dad took me to Maine to visit the factory. I had to go to the bathroom. And I begged him to pull into a truck stop. He said no, wait until we get there! It'll be worth it! It was!

There are a number of Doomers who are definitely in their 50s and in fact, I'm sure some of them would be near or in their 60s by now. I don't think it's that unusual.

Enjay said:

There are a number of Doomers who are definitely in their 50s and in fact, I'm sure some of them would be near or in their 60s by now. I don't think it's that unusual.

They were 30 and 40-year-olds when it started.

My nan is 82 and still loves playing games. She's a demon for Freecell and Spider Solitaire and some other random Windows Entertainment Pack cardgames, but I can't imagine her playing Doom.

I remember as a kid there were a few text adventures we both spent AGES trying to beat. Anyone else play McMurphy's Mansion? :P

Yeah, my grandma (65) plays lots of games. She has a Gameboy Color that she plays all sorts of stuff on, and she plays a lot of casual games like Zuma Deluxe and Diamond Mine and Bejeweled or whatever. Definitely wouldn't play Doom though. I do know for sure that Tetris is her favorite game.

Dad would, but he's more of an MMO addict.

Joshy said:

She's probably the odd one out in her age group. Wonder if there are any others?

Searcher/Gene Bird was 60-odd back in the early part of the decade, dunno how old he is now though.

I just think it'd be cool to see a pic of a 60 year old woman with Doom on the computer screen in the background, like that pic of Nikki Ziering on ZDaemon a few years ago.