Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Heretic Treasure Chest - It lives... again! (Demo RELEASED)

I think the idea of aiming for December 23, the fifteenth anniversary of the original Heretic would be a very interesting date to pursue, although I don't believe quality control can be done that quickly.

Another quick image of E4M8, a teleport chamber (still in progress):

http://i37.tinypic.com/20kqd0w.png

Ah, this project still be on the work, eh?

Whatever, talking about level titles my maps are:

E5M2 - Man on the edge
E5M9 - Paul Newman dark memorial

If i could not to been so full of "work" on various projects i working (don't worry i working on the stuff of my projects, just i'm slowly...), i will make somenthing for this megawad...

StoneFrog said:

I think the idea of aiming for December 23, the fifteenth anniversary of the original Heretic would be a very interesting date to pursue, although I don't believe quality control can be done that quickly.

Another quick image of E4M8, a teleport chamber (still in progress):

Well, that is the plan and I intent to follow that. This project have been going on for too long, time to release it.

Btw, please make your picture into a link.

Looks interesting so far, but the wall in shot 2 needs a bit texture alignment.
And is there a floating block of stone in shot 1?

StoneFrog said:

You can aim for Christmas or Christmas Eve*, which would be great, because it would count as another Christmas bonus. You can also keep only using 27 maps, because Heretic and Doom 1 were also originally released only in 27 maps, and Heretic canonically and by difficulty curve really ends by E3M8... I found the expansion episodes to be noisier and less regular in difficulty -- less worked on. And they have no real cool bosses either.

*EDIT: or rather even 23rd of December, considering its significance with Heretic; close to Christridentmas and all that. I hope the Curse of D'sparil, with crucified you-know-who, catches a similar date.

I found Episode 4 to be fairly consistent in design and progression - it was a bit like revisiting Episode 1, but far more intense and a tad more gothic. Episode 5 is when things started to get rather random, if you ask me.

I went back to my E4M9 and i've spotted a small error, i'm going to fix it up and then re-send it.

Also, is it possible to take down my E2M9? I don't really like it and thought maybe someone else could take that slot?

I don't think there'll be a case where all slots are full, so I'd leave it in tbh. Besides, other people might like the map.

printz said:

You can also keep only using 27 maps, because Heretic and Doom 1 were also originally released only in 27 maps, and Heretic canonically and by difficulty curve really ends by E3M8... I found the expansion episodes to be noisier and less regular in difficulty -- less worked on. And they have no real cool bosses either.

But they are bigger and more epic in design terms than the original episodes as well as being a lot harder, making them more fun IMO.

Hey, I'm glad to see this is actually getting worked on again. Not that I'm in any position to point fingers, as I completely flaked out on the contribution I at one time offered.

Now, as I never actually got around to contributing a map in the end, I really have no right to decide how the finished product should be put together, but I'm going to do so anyway:

1. Get rid of the crap.
2. Release three episodes.
3. Sorting maps into episodes by their architectural themes is a good idea. Arranging maps within episodes so that there is an increasing difficulty curve is a good idea. However, altering maps so that the bestiary changes from episode to episode or within episodes is not a good idea.

Actually, I kind of do want to work on the map I was going to contribute to this, but with my course load there's no way it'll be finished this year. Don't wait.

Did anyone really expect something different?

It was clear from the beginning that the missing maps won't get filled in but nobody is willing to take the unpopular decision to cull all the unfinished maps and just release the damn thing.

Is it really better to let the maps rot on someone's HD without ever seeing the light of day?

if anyone wants to release the maps this year please do so.

Missing the 15 year anniversary deadline is a guarantee this will never get finished. If it is not released on the 23th I will probably release my map on its own.

But who has the latest versions of them all? (as I'm sure the ones I took from ler's site a while ago aren't the newest)

Graf Zahl said:

Is it really better to let the maps rot on someone's HD without ever seeing the light of day?

That's what happened with a ton of P2 beta maps...

(I still have them on my HD from when I was playtesting but dunno if I'd be able to release them or not, since Metabolist isn't around nowadays)

HPack is for GZdoom, this is for HereticP and up. Besides. HPack isn't looking to good either right now.

kristus said:

HPack is for GZdoom, this is for HereticP and up. Besides. HPack isn't looking to good either right now.

Indeed, though I think as soon as I get back organizing stuff for HPack it's going to get better (Stronghold has priority right now).

Also, looking at HPack's change-log. It seem to me that you're not interested in making a Heretic wad as much as you're interested in making a "City of the Zdamned". (COTZD) Similar to what you did with KDIZD.
So for me, personally. I'm more interested in playing this than HPack.

I have the feeling that if you release the 27 map set first, people who have been dilly-dallying will get a little more motivation to finish their maps up. It seems like they need a little kick in the rump anyway

If motivation comes to people to make Heretic maps. There can always be another Community Megawad.

I'll admit that I got sidetracked with final wrapping up on my own mod that is now about to enter the beta testing stage.

Certainly though, given that not one new map has been submitted since this thread was opened does give me the impression that further submissions are unlikely.

The HTC has 31 maps, 4 or so of which I would say are notably simpler, not as detailed etc as the rest. That leaves about 27 maps.

I do think the HTC suffered from being very disorganized.

But to some extent that's partly down to the fact that with Doom community projects, the contributors usually assume certain things without being told. As a couple of examples; that the early maps are tech, the last maps are hell and that the entire bestiary shouldn't appear on the first map.

That didn't happen with the HTC for whatever reason.

Well vermil, let's try to arrange the levels and release this thing. I really want to have this project out by 23 december.

If you still want the 5-episode map pack, you could always release a new version or an expansion pack later on.

Are these maps multiplayer-compatible, by the way?