Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

I can understand the defanging part, as I know most slaughterfest megawads don't start out all that hard.

I'm definitely looking forward to tackling those new hell maps, though.

Good thing I held off on downloading version 1 all this time.

As for the tutorial thing, brings to mind the awesome "random thoughts on mapping" part in DVIIs text file, I loved that.

Doom Marine said:

In case anyone cares, I'm going around DVII (except for the hell maps) and "defanging" it. My taste as a Doomer have changed over the years. I was once really into slaughtermaps and considered everything else shit, but now I'm exploring the more gung-ho take-no-prisoner gameplay that is e1.

I think as a megawad, there's plenty of opportunity for hard fights over 32 maps. That being said, not every fight should be a titanic life-and-death struggle as I'm seeing in too much of DVII-1. A touch less difficult feel should lend itself to better enjoyment of the earlier maps. Some of those revenants have got to go.

Now rest assured, there's ten levels dedicated to hell, and some of them are going to beat Belial to death. One of the hell maps is a direct dedication to HR24 Post Mortem, name it Rigor Mortis, featuring a church dedicated to NIN. Prepare for rape.

I love slaughter maps; perhaps you could release a defanged version and a slaughter version of DVII :)

That would take you too much time, I know. I'm sure I'll love it however it turns out.

Doom Marine said:

Prepare for rape.

Also, I think this should be your new custom title.

alexz721 said:

I love slaughter maps; perhaps you could release a defanged version and a slaughter version of DVII :)

That would take you too much time, I know. I'm sure I'll love it however it turns out.

Difficulty settings renders that idea redundant.

I'm pretty sure that most of the moaning about DVII-1's difficulty stems from players with egos bigger than their abilities who won't back down from skill 4, even at the cost of fun.

In any case, I currently feel that DVII-1 on skill 4 is too punishing and has to be taken down a notch.

O.O
Heh, as much as I'd say screw those guys and force feed them the HMP difficulty, I can see why this inevitably has to be done. Still, I see no reason to warrant the downgrade of the Hell maps (existing ones as well as future maps).

Those skull walls are a nice touch.

DVII uses a track from Tales of Symphonia doesn't it? On the map with a fuckton of monsters. I remember that stood out to me when I played it.

U.O.D. said:

Those skull walls are a nice touch.

DVII uses a track from Tales of Symphonia doesn't it? On the map with a fuckton of monsters. I remember that stood out to me when I played it.

DVII-1i Map23 uses an MP3 soundtrack from Ocean Star Fantasy. Although I've never played the game myself, I overheard my cousin playing it and thought it would befit my level.

99% of this map was approached by turning off the grid entirely to achieve complete, non-orthogonal walls without right angle bias stemming from having the grid as a guide.

Man this looks gorgeous, can't wait for the full version.
A Post Mortem tribute made by you ? Wow.

Hmm, why tuning down the difficulty ? If some people don't like / can't keep up with the challenge, they can still select another skill level and that's all...
Ah well, as long as Hell levels are hard, I guess it will be fine. And it's up to you anyway.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
Hmm, why tuning down the difficulty ?

He explained that above, saying his tastes have changed somewhat.

I hope there are no walls that are straight horizontal or vertical on that curvy map of yours, because they're gonna stand out :P
Also what's that supposed to be on the screenie? Just huge lava caves? I think it's the first of the DV2 screens i've seen that i don't like.

It's not just a lava cave, it's a Mortal-Kombat themed level, complete with MK art assets, having several MK stages built into it. See the eight circles on the automap? Those are soul chambers that takes the player into mini-challenges aka MK stages... you might even encounter a representation of Shao Kahn. Think Doom2 Map08.

This level marks the second of my experimental designs post-DVII-1 that emphasizes creative ways of killing enemies through monster-killing traps, beserking, and infighting with minimal use of ammunition (although it will be generously provided to give the player multiple choices in combat). Nowhere near as tough as my past works... uh, save for MAP24 - Rigor Mortis (currently in progress).

DVII's hell levels are now planned to be continuously connected together, like what the original DV did with MAP01-04, but on a much larger scale spanning 9-10 levels that takes the player inside and outside the hell planet, from lava caves to the volcanic exterior and beyond. Imagine a 150,000 linedef inferno.

BTW, DVII-2 now has TWO additional new enemies (on top of the afrit and cleric) without sacrficing current ones, and still remain limit-removing boom compatible.

BTW, DVII-2 now has TWO additional new enemies (on top of the afrit and cleric) without sacrficing current ones, and still remain limit-removing boom compatible. [/B]

And no frames removed from any of the original enemies, either.

Doom Marine said:

This level marks the second of my experimental designs post-DVII-1 that emphasizes creative ways of killing enemies through monster-killing traps, beserking, and infighting with minimal use of ammunition

chi ... it seems that I have something similar in my ks2 tyson only level ... (but mine is perhaps more focused on crazy punching :-)

[edit] oops. [/edit]

*sigh*

I saved a couple of the pics off this thread. They look amazing.

I think, about 60% of dv2 resources are not used. There are absolutely crazy images there. Why you do not remove them? I think the real wad size should be about 80 mb instead of 170

They are kept in there because those are preloaded for my planned levels in the second edition.

In any case, the file size is only going to get bigger as I'm currently employing slices of textures to compose 4096x4096 pixel images for backdrops.

DVII-2 currently has three additional hell levels that will run right up to the 65k seg limit. The current build is 260 MB, I shit you not.

Doom Marine said:

99% of this map was approached by turning off the grid entirely to achieve complete, non-orthogonal walls without right angle bias stemming from having the grid as a guide.

That must have sucked working on. I've done a lot of similar work myself. And I get instantly bored out of my brains.

Doom Marine said:

4096x4096 pixel images

There is no real sense to use such textures and each of them eats 4096 * 4096 * 4 (RGBA) * 1.(3) (MIP levels) ~= 90mb of memory. Even without mips it's 64mb. Generally, 1024x1024 is more than enough. But of course, you can use any up to 8192x8192 for modern hardware and 16384x16384 for DX11 ready hardware.

Btw, do you still use db1 as main editor? Because Eternal does.

kristus said:

That must have sucked working on. I've done a lot of similar work myself. And I get instantly bored out of my brains.

Oh yeah, you know it.

entryway said:

Btw, do you still use db1 as main editor? Because Eternal does.

I switched over to DB2 because of zero downtime in switching from linedef mode to 3D mode. DB2 with a sufficient computer is a very powerful tool.

myk said:

He explained that above, saying his tastes have changed somewhat.

Not just that, the way some people map, the easiest difficulty is still hard as hell

He spent 1800 hours on the first edition. I think it's safe to say that he is spending an unholy amount of time on this.

Which leaves the question: since we've already given him a virtual Golden Cyberdemon, what do we award him once the 2nd edition is out?

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Which leaves the question: since we've already given him a virtual Golden Cyberdemon, what do we award him once the 2nd edition is out?

We give him a second virtual Golden Cyberdemon - they're not expensive and probably make good bookends.