Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

/idgames - I liked it - COOL maps

TimeOfDeath said:

How do you list all wads in the archive by date?
Is it possible to list all wads in a certain directory by date?

Wads or Zips? Fullsort.gz contains a chronologically sorted list of the archive's contents, which (after conversion to a CSV file)* can be imported into a spreadsheet and sorted whatever way you like. Retrieving file timestamps from within Zip files is a little more problematic, I've seen utilities that'll do the job but don't know how much of the Zip file has to be downloaded in the process.

* A text editor that supports "column mode" insert/delete comes in handy.

GreyGhost said:

but don't know how much of the Zip file has to be downloaded in the process.

All of it, because the directory listing is stored near the end in zip files.

I never thought of using an ftp program, cool. I'm trying to play doom2 single player maps starting from the earliest, and then rating them if I like them. I thought it'd be possible to do something with the /idgames url when you search (I thought I remembered someone posting a listing of wads by date), like searching for *.* and sort by date. But I guess just opening each directory in /levels/doom2 and picking out the '95 wads, then the '96 wads, etc., would be just as good.

Given the large number of `94 to `96 wads that have been uploaded many years later, this wad list I compiled from the /levels/doom2 section of my offline mirror might be of use to you. They're sorted by date and path, so you can open the list in a text editor and use it as-is or import it into Excel/OpenOffice (date format is "DD/MM/YYYY") and re-sort it there. It would appear (unless some of the timestamps are lying) that people have been mapping for Doom since 1970!

So, I've been using GreyGhost's list to play all the wads in the /idgames archive levels/doom2 folder starting with the oldest. I started with the '94 wads and just started playing the '95 wads today. It's been really fun! And I came across some wads that I was really surprised didn't have any votes yet. Like Gulph and fireking, among others.

GreyGhost said:
It would appear (unless some of the timestamps are lying) that people have been mapping for Doom since 1970!

Damn, the guys who made those must call even Julian a newb.

Those PDP-11 hackers were way ahead of their time. :-)

TimeOfDeath said:

And I came across some wads that I was really surprised didn't have any votes yet. Like Gulph and fireking, among others.

That doesn't suprise me, they pre-date the database and aren't high profile wads so their best chance of garnering votes is from people like us who like to do a bit of necro-gaming.

TimeOfDeath said:

I never thought of using an ftp program, cool. I'm trying to play doom2 single player maps starting from the earliest, and then rating them if I like them. I thought it'd be possible to do something with the /idgames url when you search (I thought I remembered someone posting a listing of wads by date), like searching for *.* and sort by date. But I guess just opening each directory in /levels/doom2 and picking out the '95 wads, then the '96 wads, etc., would be just as good.

The precise trick is to search for ".zip" in filenames and to sort by date in ascending order. That's always been good enough for me, though other methods may be more accurate.

It can be very interesting to view a body of work in this comprehensive, chronological way. I once watched the first few hundred movies posted to newgrounds.com in chronological order. At the time (this was most of a decade ago) there was no way on the site to get a list of all movies in chronological order so to watch them in order I manually incremented the ID number in the URL.

TimeOfDeath said:

There's a room-over-room effect in this one that has to be seen to be believed.

heh, of course, search for zip... *facepalm*
I've been using GreyGhost's list since it uses the wad's date instead of the date it was uploaded on.

Yeah, it's been really fun playing from the beginning. I play everything, even if I don't like it (which is rare) - playing with saves, trying to get 100% kills and secrets - if all secrets haven't been triggered and all monsters aren't dead after I tried finding them all, I iddt x2 - if I'm still stuck with iddt x2, I open the map in an editor.

For Gulph, do you mean the custom texture? or the room where the red key is?

Creaphis said:

There's a room-over-room effect in this one that has to be seen to be believed.

If you're talking about the stairs, I've had the same idea, except I would have removed the teleport fog and noise, and not used them anywhere else in the map. Also I'd make the stairs a bit thinner so you wont be jerked as much when you cross the line. But yeah, neat effect.

DuckReconMajor said:

If you're talking about the stairs, I've had the same idea, except I would have removed the teleport fog and noise, and not used them anywhere else in the map. Also I'd make the stairs a bit thinner so you wont be jerked as much when you cross the line. But yeah, neat effect.

The teleport plus the custom textures making it look like you're still in the same place. The texture work in Gulph is really nice.

I thought the name on this one sounded familiar. Its on one of the disks I haven't fully cataloged, but I remember playing it because I grabbed a ton of the "house" wads for the class I am teaching to give them examples of the project I'm having them do.

For Gulph, I got pretty confused toward the end and opened the map in an editor, but I don't mind doing that. The room where the red key is: I thought it was really funny (in a good way).

GreyGhost said:

Those PDP-11 hackers were way ahead of their time. :-)
That doesn't suprise me, they pre-date the database and aren't high profile wads so their best chance of garnering votes is from people like us who like to do a bit of necro-gaming.

Thanks for your list and the word necro-gaming.

Is there something in the pwad which gives information about the editor that has been used?
Like http://www.pkware.com/documents/APPNOTE/APPNOTE_6.2.0.txt this information for the zip format?

Well, I'm stuck, now. I've gotten to the red key part, but what do I do?

EDIT: GAH! I could have sworn I already tried hitting open at the pillar...

Coldfusio said:

Thanks for your list and the word necro-gaming.

Is there something in the pwad which gives information about the editor that has been used?

You're welcome, use them wisely.

I've noticed that DeuTex and WinTex leave their mark near the start of a wad, though you need a Hex editor to read them. Another editor - don't know which - leaves PLATFORM lumps and there's a couple of others I can't recall at the moment.

Here's a list of all the wads I apparently liked more than usual (be careful, some might be ugly or confusing or whatever):

08/94 - Fireking
10/94 - DMLAMOUR
10/94 - Home of the Lost Demons - Part 1
10/94 - The Tiger Den
10/94 - Fire Storm
10/94 - FoOT HILLS OF HELL
10/94 - The Interdiction Zone
10/94 - Murder Death Kill
10/94 - ZOA2
11/94 - R91
11/94 - G50
11/94 - Shrine of the Warriors
11/94 - Ice Nightmare 2
11/94 - DECEIT
11/94 - THE-ZONE
11/94 - MISERY
11/94 - KNOB's Carnage!
11/94 - HAUNTED HOUSE OF HELL
11/94 - GRATES
12/94 - Ppalace
12/94 - Animal Instinct
12/94 - Woof
12/94 - Home of the lost Demons - Part 2
12/94 - EARTH SCUM
12/94 - Radiation Processing Plant
12/94 - Gulph
12/94 - Sirius1 - suburbia
12/94 - TOWER OF RURQTA!!!
01/95 - Cliffs
01/95 - DOOMPIT
01/95 - PiAZZA DEi MiRACOLi
01/95 - House of Doom
01/95 - PRISON OF TERROR
01/95 - mrme
01/95 - Gogomap
01/95 - Sewer
01/95 - FourPlay...
02/95 - CETI ALPHA VI
02/95 - The X File
02/95 - Dumerica Bowling Arena
02/95 - The Big Open
02/95 - Twisting Halls
02/95 - runriot
02/95 - nasty2

I was going to post the next batch of maps that I liked more than usual, but has someone deleted some of my comments/ratings? All of my comments are "I liked it" or "I liked it - COOL", etc.

Ashcave isn't in the doom2 directory. :)

And no, I'm only on July 1995. I took a big break since I only have dial-up now, but most of the wads are under 100kb anyway, so it doesn't take long to download.

TimeOfDeath said:

All of my comments are "I liked it" or "I liked it - COOL", etc.

Some of them might have been considered a bit too much alike and deleted as spam. If you've gone off /idgames but still want to post your opinions on maps - I know of a review site that could do with some love.

Bloodshedder said:
as far as I'm concerned, they were.

Why?

I played (all the way through) and liked every single one of those wads that I rated/commented. I use the same comment so that I know I liked it - that way, when I look through GreyGhost's excel file and look at the wads I've already played, I can see whether I left a comment, and I post the "I liked it - COOL" ones here. :(((

I'm sorry that my comments looked like spam, I can understand why. Is there a record of what comments were deleted? just so I can see which maps I put "I liked it - COOL"?