Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flesh420

New news about Duke! What do you guys think?

Phml said:

*fap* *fap* *fap*

I admit my eyes glazed over by the second paragraph, but what exactly is your criticism here? That Crysis is actually a fun game? I actually haven't played it yet, so my statement was going off the general consensus and wasn't meant to be an authority on the issue. If it's anything like Far Cry, I'm sure it is fun, but that's because it's literally the same game with a nanosuit. I'm sorry, but no amount of "nanosuit" can change the fact that Crysis appeared to be an average, if slightly non-linear, manshoot game with phenomenal graphics.

As to your second point, that people are too stupid to understand Crysis, I'd say it has less to do with "understanding" the game and more to do with the fact that it required people to have a super computer in 2007 to play Far Cry in North Korea, a game most people had already played 3 years earlier. It's not like putting your crosshair over the bad guy and clicking Mouse 1 is too hard for people. The fact that the small minority of gamers who got a chance to play it weren't exactly thrilled by it said more to me than actually playing the game.

I'll be honest and say that I absolutely hate modern FPS games for the reasons you cite, but Crysis was hardly the revolution you make it out to be. If anything, STALKER, the other game you mentioned, was and still is. I wish more games were like STALKER, but given the amount of work it takes to make a game like that these days I'm not surprised very few have attempted it in favor of the money printing Brown Desert Manshoot X-Treme 5.

Enough of that BS, I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, I'm just waiting for 3D Realms to render the ass. :p

I will begrudgingly accept that there could be a place for Duke Nukem Forever in today's world. A gloriously straight-faced rehashing of all of the best action hero tropes of the eighties would be unique in today's climate.

Philnemba said:

Even if it is just a rumor, I also still want to see a new Duke Nukem game...even if it takes another decade of waiting :P

This is the closest you'll ever get :-p

Before Maes posted that soundboard I never realized Duke Nukem had a lisp. Might be crappy sound file transfer, but it's there. And Bank, I assume he has balls of steel?

As for a new Duke game made by 3D Realms, I thought it would be cool around 2000. The first Duke game was rather crap. The second one I enjoyed enough. Duke 3D I always felt was okay. I was probably too young to realize how advanced it was beyond Doom, but the humor was always just sophomoric titty and shit jokes (and when you think those are sophomoric when you're 12, your game has problems), and while it had a wide arsenal none of them were really that fun to kill people with. It was a decent game for the time, but it certainly wasn't anything amazing. Still, it was a part of my childhood, and I'd like to see the game come out. Train wrecks are always fascinating.

Now if only Monolith would drop the whole F.E.A.R. and Condemned thing and make Blood: Forever.

Jello said:

while it had a wide arsenal none of them were really that fun to kill people with.

Except the shrinker+stomp combo. Oh, and the kick, when you used both it as a weapon and the "mighty feet" kick at the same time, for the sheer absurdity of it.

Jello said:

And Bank, I assume he has balls of steel?

For some reason, thinking about a big-ass magnet being attracted to my balls and setting there with a loud, metallic CLANG! causes me psychosomatic pain.

Unless 3DR realizes that "Macho" is 90's and somehow manages to infuse some philosophical aspect/internal conflict into Duke, you can skip this.

(Come to think of it, how kickass would it be to have Duke suffer from erectile dysfunction or something while kicking invading alien ass? Or struggling against declining popularity, old age and younger, more sensible heroes, as he realizes he has, ultimately, fallen out of place in the 21st century? This could be an awesome jab at the series and the game's development process themselves as well.)

spank said:

Come to think of it, how kickass would it be to have Duke suffer from erectile dysfunction or something while kicking invading alien ass?

Not at all, and too 00s and P.C.

The only game character whose flaws and "bringing down to earth" didn't make him look like a wussy was the Postal Dude, who throughout Postal 2 was progressively revealed to be oppressed by his father, with a small penis, and cheated on by his "fat bitch" who also have him gonorrhea. But then you had a whole non-P.C. game to make up for that.

Please, no more gay superheroes with existential problems and a "nice guy" attitude (the kind that gets stomped on, you know what I mean). I want my superheroes to be macho, arrogant, ripped, total Alphas.

Creaphis said:

Dear God. It took twelve years for this shambling monstrosity to die. Do we have to watch its corpse twitch for another fifty?

Enjay said:

My first reaction on hearing about this was just to groan. I mean, hearing "new" news about DNF is just so dull and a tired, boring cliche. We've been "treated" to little snippets like this for years. I wish they'd just fuck off. A bit of teasing can be fun but twelve years of teasing with nothing to show for it is just a turn off. I'm just fed up with them. Put up or shut up.

I agree with these sentiments.

If anything, what might have happened is that after firing the DNF team, Take-Two/3DRealms/whoever owns the uncompleted DNF material decided to bring in a new team and try to salvage what was there. It makes sense that they would give it a new name to get away from the stigma of DNF.

If this is the case, I really hope that they have fired George Broussard (I'm not sure whether he was fired along with the rest of the DNF team) and all the people previously managing DNF, or that those people at least have nothing to do with this "new" project (if such a thing even exists). He's the main cause behind the absurdly protracted development of DNF from what I've read.

spank said:

Please don't link to Maddox for scientific reference.

You can't deny he has a valid point in most cases, even in it might not be everybody's cup of tea.

In this particular instance he took on that entertainment industry trend of deliberately making fictional character and heroes "more humane" by giving them mundane weaknesses and problems (then again, the ancient Greeks and Romans gave the same earthly, human weaknesses and pettiness to their Gods).

That screenshot looks fake..

The over-the-shoulder perspective used in Dead Space, along with the suit and weapon Isaac uses (pulse rifle) in that looks somewhat identical if not with some edits to it. Compare that "teaser" with these:

Suit: http://helldescent.com/wp-content/uploads/deadspace3.jpg
Suit #2: http://files.playstatic.com/xbox-360/dead-space/dead-space-scan-9.jpg

Weapon: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/850402/dead-space/images/dead-space-20081125025613719.html

Weapon #2: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/850402/dead-space/images/dead-space-20080916032643085.html

spank said:

Unless 3DR realizes that "Macho" is 90's and somehow manages to infuse some philosophical aspect/internal conflict into Duke, you can skip this.

I am so glad you don't design games.

This attitude of "CONFLICT IS DEEP" is ruining shit left and right. Every goddamn game I play has philosophical undertones and other bullshit crammed into the disc. Unless Duke is conflicted over wether to freeze enemies or to burn them, that is a horrible idea.

Did the Doomguy ever think to himself "No way I'm going to win"? NO. He kicked the ass of HELL ITSELF. And then HELL KICKED HIM OUT FOR BEING TOO HARDCORE.

Save that stuff for MGS. I just want to kick aliens in the balls.

I don't care much for playing another Duke title, but the gaming industry cannot be the same without waiting for a new Duke Nukem installment. It's like humanity without a Messiah; cultural icons shouldn't just disappear like that due to some silly business dispute :p

Where would we go, for instance, without Millennium and Mordeth 2-3?!

fraggle said:
If this is the case, I really hope that they have fired George Broussard

He seems to be behind the rumors, so that's unlikely. He's one of the owners of 3D Realms, if I'm not mistaken, so he can't really get fired. The speculation is that they're attempting to continue the game, with another name to void the contracts with Take-Two by producing another title (Duke Nukem D-Day.) Perhaps back in May they halted DNF development as a step during disputes over the title with the publisher, and as a result Take-Two retaliated with a law suit.

myk said:

I don't care much for playing another Duke title, but the gaming industry cannot be the same without waiting for a new Duke Nukem installment. It's like humanity without a Messiah; cultural icons shouldn't just disappear like that due to some silly business dispute :p

Where would we go, for instance, without Millennium and Mordeth 2-3?!

He seems to be behind the rumors, so that's unlikely. He's one of the owners of 3D Realms, if I'm not mistaken, so he can't really get fired. The speculation is that they're attempting to continue the game, with another name to void the contracts with Take-Two by producing another title (Duke Nukem D-Day.) Perhaps back in May they halted DNF development as a step during disputes over the title with the publisher, and as a result Take-Two retaliated with a law suit.

Honestly, I think that D-Day IS DNF given a new name.

spank said:

That would be completely awful.

Hmph. OK, so it is Duke. He is this tough, confident guy and there's no place for self-doubt etc. In that way, what I said could be taken as wrong, I'll grant you that, but - what is so wrong about what I said, in absolute terms? There will always be a market for simpler-minded games; I just think that the technology has evolved to a point that games are not about technical achievement as much as they are a storytelling medium. In this light, the Duke Nukem concept is too big to waste on a simple "aliens invade, kick their asses, peace reigns again" story. There's got to be more to it.

I think that they need to stay away from all the story B.S. with duke. Thats all there is anymore when it comes to FPS's. The last game I bought was L4D because there was next to no story and it was all about having fun, IMO they need to stay away from making it a interactive movie and get on with the simple alien ass kicking. There is no room for retarded long and drawn out story's when it comes too duke. Lets get back to the gameplay and stay away from the shitty storys.

spank said:

In this light, the Duke Nukem concept is too big to waste on a simple "aliens invade, kick their asses, peace reigns again" story. There's got to be more to it.

You have obviously never played Duke Nukem. There is nothing else to Duke Nukem. He goes in, kills ten tons of alien shit and gets the girl. Duke was originally made as a parody of 80's action heroes. Let's keep that theme on track.

I don't mind story in videogames (I'm a huge Mass Effect and MGS fan), but fuck this whole "Games = Art" crap. Games are games, and should make you feel badass. Duke does that just fine.

spank said:

I just think that the technology has evolved to a point that games are not about technical achievement as much as they are a storytelling medium.

They're not about technical achievement or storytelling, they're about fun, and the current trend of plot-driven gameplay often gets in the way of that fun. Tetris, Doom, chess, etc. have only the barest of premises orienting the player and are masterpieces.

I'm not saying that there aren't good plot-driven games; I'm just saying that I'm glad Duke Nukem 3D isn't one of them, because plot would only detract from the game's best (most fun) attributes. For another example, compare the emphasis on plot in Quake 1 and Quake 4, and then tell me which game is actually more fun.

Gez said:

Except the shrinker+stomp combo. Oh, and the kick, when you used both it as a weapon and the "mighty feet" kick at the same time, for the sheer absurdity of it.

When I was writing that, I did consider the boot, and the mighty foot simultaneous kick. Which I still consider hilarious, but it wasn't fun. It was funny. And the shrinker/boot stomp as well. It's kind of funny, but it wasn't satisfying. Not like shooting a pinkie demon in the face with a double barrel, shooting a zombie in the chest with a flare gun, or blowing a hole straight through someones head with an AK-47 in SOF 2.

spank said:

There's got to be more to it.

I'm sure some metrosexual yuppie pampered scum "manager" already thought of making the Duke "sensible" and shit, but know what? The Duke is supposed to be more like this:

rather than this:

Neither.

Duke is the manly or macho stereotype; one of those bunnies is a shrill-voiced wannabe with a mouth too big for his spindly frame and the other is politically correct.

In any case, he's still more like the first one than the second one (or rather, the difference between what the Duke is and what he would be if made "sensible" would be of equal magnitude).

Then again...even characters like Hulk Hogan and Mr. T (in the cartoon series) have been toned down and "PC-ized" to become more acceptable to a younger audience, but still, toning down a loud-mouthed, boxing, gold-chain-wearin' pimp like Mr. T into a sort of "Captain Planet best friend of children" is just phony baloney.

kristus said:

A politically correct pedo?

Yeah. After all he used the terms "Wanna come in my magic van?" instead of "How'bout a good shagging? Yer won't be able to walk for a WEEK!". Not to mention the "extreme" form ;-)