Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkreaver

Playtesters needed: Brood of Hatred

Ait!

So, as the topic says: I need a couple of playtesters for my map. As you all know, someone else always notices something you probably "never" would have noticed yourself hehe

You know the drill; Gameplay? Ammo/health? Visuals? bla bla

LINK:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/v3y2yjynmmu/boh.wad

I named the map "Brood of Hatred", and its a map22 replacement. Boom compitable. And yeah, its only my second map ever, so Im still a noob! Consider this a warning lol

Skill levels are implemented, but UV is recommended.

I`ll add some custom music before release

some screens:

http://i46.tinypic.com/14blrhe.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ikdt6s.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/20uzx9s.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/fc7ma8.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/xl9izm.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/hsl0ud.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/104f9c2.jpg

Try it then :)

Yeah, I think I can add music haha. Dunno how to yet, but I know it isnt difficult, so Ill read up on it.

FDA w/ prboom+ 2.5.0.5. It looks cool but you definitely need to give more ammo and health in spots, there's barely any for the arch-viles off the revenant circle, which combined with little cover, equals dead player. It wouldn't be quite so bad if you gave the SSG before that ... in fact I couldn't find the ssg even when I got to about half the monster count. Consider giving it as a prize for the revenant circle, that's about where I'd put it.

Also you have some extreeeeemely dark areas, which are very annoying in boom. Putting the light around 128 is about the darkest you want to make the player fight normally in.

So yeah, architecture gets a plus but ammo/health balance and brightness get minuses. I wouldn't consider the fights unbalanced if there was a little more ammo.

P.S. - if you're using xwe (SAVE A COPY OF YOUR MAP FIRST), to put in midis load up your wad, click the music tab, create new and find the name of the midi for your map number here. Then chose edit - replace (NOT RAW DATA) and chose your midi.

Not sure if this was intentional, but there seems to be an issue with the teleporter at sector 1978 – once the player teleports back from the soulsphere and chainsaw room, the teleporter is still active, and if the player then walks over the relevant linedefs, he gets stuck in sector 1989’s ceiling – at least, I did (using GZDoom). Otherwise not bad so far – shells are little tight on UV though.

Ok, this is good. Somwthing to work on.
I have plenty of ammo the whole level through, but then again, I know where everything is etc

AB: the SSG is in the "mountain ledge" in the "main area". Very early in the map. There is also a backpack there, and a couple of boxes of shells.

About the teleporter: I`ll make it a W1! You wont be able to go back and restock, but whatever. Too bad for you :P I totally wouldnt have found this one hehe

darkreaver said:

Ok, this is good. Somwthing to work on.
I have plenty of ammo the whole level through, but then again, I know where everything is etc

AB: the SSG is in the "mountain ledge" in the "main area". Very early in the map. There is also a backpack there, and a couple of boxes of shells.

About the teleporter: I`ll make it a W1! You wont be able to go back and restock, but whatever. Too bad for you :P I totally wouldnt have found this one hehe

*Sigh* I thought that might've happened -.- If I missed that you should probably put something next to it, or make that part a little lighter. Will check this again ...

Hey, ok, watching your demo AB, maybe I should add some ammo here and there...or no, I`ll rather make it more visible/obvious. I mean, you didnt find the SSG, and it was quite painful to watch you fight your way through without it :P I`ll make som stairs up to the ledge, so you dont have to "jump" there.

I also noticed some other glitches while watching, so great :))

edit: You replied first I see hehe, but yeah, I`ll make it more obvious!

Also, I wonder how do I record a demo? haha, I actually have never tried to do that!

Well it's not so much as I didn't try to get on the ledge as prboom doesn't let you go quite as far as zdoom when trying to jump off things. I actually made it after trying to get there now, but when I did the demo I thought you'd made an impassable line there and lost interest cause prboom short-changed me. That's another thing you should look at - I notice your screenshots are all zdoom, you have been playtesting in boom too right? I make that mistake every so often and then I have to add a few shells here or there to compensate for the hitbox differences.

Anyway make an edge of the ledge a little closer to the platform the player teleports into, that'll make it a little easier for them to get over there in boom.

P.S. open the run box off the windows menu, then find the location of prboom.exe (or prboom-plus). Copy that into the run box, then type something like this into it;

C:\Users\Blood_Titan\Desktop\doom stuff\prboom-plus-2.5.0.5\prboom-plus.exe -file boh.wad -skill 4 -warp 22 -complevel 9 -record ABboh1st

file is the wad, skill is 4 for UV, warp is the map#, complevel is 9 for boom (2 is doom2, 3 ultimate doom, 4 for final doom?) and record is to take a demo. I think it's about the same for zdoom but I only messed with that once I think.

Thanks, I will try that now!

But uuuhm, all screens are glboom-plus. I dont even have zdoom hehe

And you mentioned some areas are very dark, yeah thats because I play in glboom, so it doesnt bother me, but in software it is very dark. Ill maybe up the lighting a couple of notches in the whole map, though that may ruin some of the "atmosphere" in some places. I`ll *******ely look into it though

ah ok, wondered what was up with the funky stat bar colors.

I tried recording another demo with the SSG now, but now I remember all the little things that make me hate prboom sometimes -.-

Btw, consider taking out the damaging floors in the imp closets before the blue key, those things pissed me off since I had to snipe revenants in there and then come back through and counter-snipe chaingunners >.< fucking 1024 auto-aim limit ...

P.S. forgot, there's a stalagmite blocking the part of the ledge I kept trying to jump over to get the SSG, please move that (right side from the platform) -.-

haha, yeah, I was just dying in those imp closets when recording a demo right now, damn annoying! Another thing to fix.

Really enjoyed this map. I was truly impressed when the walls lowered at the beginning and uncovered such a grand, wide-open, epic area to fight in. Great challenge and lots of fun from start to finish.

Honestly I wasn't bug hunting, but I did find a HOM in the arch-vile trap before getting the blue skull key (walls open up and monsters attack like hell.. that area). Sorry, I didn't think to take a screenshot.

Hey, yes, I was going to adress that myself. Its kinda weird! Sometimes its there, and sometimes its not, whats up with that? Mostly its not there, but when it is, its a impassable HOM, right? Dunno what that is

Thanks btw! ^^

Had a quick run through inspection, the 2 switches behind the red/blue skull key doors can be easily activated without opening the said doors.

I thought it was a good effort, keep it up. :-)

I really enjoyed this... great job.

Found some bugs for ya to squash ...

1. Lines 10337, 10339, 10341, 10426, 10459, 10436, 10479 should have been flagged impassible.

2. A bit silly that sectors 789 and 791 should harm the player. These sectors have nukage, but everywhere that there is nukage the player does not take damage.

3. SERIOUS - Teleport thing 35 at sector 463 is only flagged HARD - must be also flagged EASY and MEDIUM.

4. Unable to get the secret at sector 534, even after sector 533 has lowered. Can only be reached by jumping ( unless I'm missing something ) .

5. Wrong lower texture on line 2039 - should be GSTONEB1.

6. Wrong ceiling flat for sector 2038 - should be GROUND12.

7. Slight render glitch at sector 739. Easily masked by increasing slightly the floor height of sector 738.

... keep it up ! :)

Nice nice! I`ll get right to it =) Thanks!

edit: Ah, yeah that secret. Its quite...uh...not logical, though it IS noteceable :P ou have to walk between the two green torches (all the others are red) in the outside area there. A teleporter will lower, and you telefrag the arch-vile (if its still alive though).

darkreaver said:

Nice nice! I`ll get right to it =) Thanks!

edit: Ah, yeah that secret. Its quite...uh...not logical, though it IS noteceable :P ou have to walk between the two green torches (all the others are red) in the outside area there. A teleporter will lower, and you telefrag the arch-vile (if its still alive though).

Ah! OK. But this has raised another possible bug. Imagine this ...

1. Player crosses sector 552 travelling north.
2. Player then crosses line 2587, opening door sector 611.
3. Player goes back over sector 552, travelling south.
4. Player activates switch at line 2700.
5. Player takes lift sector 612 and goes to sector 1572.
6. Player walks between those 2 green torches, goes to sector 530, warps to sector 534 AND IS TRAPPED .

I suggest giving line 2400 the line type/action 195 - teleport SR, maybe even changing the front side texture on that line to a switch texture.

BTW I noticed a teleport thing at sector 1572 and this sector is tagged, but no corresponding line tag.

Hey, thanks for pointing that out! This is one of the first parts I made, so it isnt exactly very well thought out :P Learned alot along the way hehe

I`ll simply make it so that the switch and the arch-vile is revealed at the same time: when taking the red key. :) Thanks again!

Uhm, probably, hehe

Seriously, Im such a noob at this...I dont really get the Doom community..."ways" yet.

I used the CC4-texture wad, thats all I know. What exactly should I write in the credits then? I guess its a collection of different textures from here and there, plus maybe some special ones made for the pack?

Hmm

I am so sorry I missed playtesting this one, 1hr 13mins and 11 savegames later I beat it on UV, loved almost every step of the way. I left you a glowing 5/5 review on idgames. This can only be described as epic, cannot wait to see more from you!

Hey, wow, thanks :) A great motivation booster!

Yup, slowly making progress on my next map. It will be a bit smaller I think, and a little bit less outdoor areas. Somewhat in the same style, but not as many different themes.

And again, thanks ^^

Nice ! I would have completely missed this map if it wasn't for Jamie bumping the thread. Very fun, although there's slight pet peeves of mine - chaingunners on high ledges you can barely see without mouselook, for one ; and as I'm using the HUD, I expect with the original statusbar I wouldn't be able to see them at all. Voted 5/5.

Tolwyn said:

You're giving credit to the textures used in MM2, right?

Which textures in this are from MM2? I didn't use anything directly from MM or MM2, but I can't deny the possibility that one of the sources I compiled CC4-tex from had used resources from there, or something similar to them.

Phml said:

Nice ! I would have completely missed this map if it wasn't for Jamie bumping the thread. Very fun, although there's slight pet peeves of mine - chaingunners on high ledges you can barely see without mouselook, for one ; and as I'm using the HUD, I expect with the original statusbar I wouldn't be able to see them at all. Voted 5/5.

First off, thanks alot :))

About those chaingunners, I`m guessing you mean the two outside the keep, in the "main area"? (maybe some others also?). yeah, I know they are quite high up, but...done is done hehe. Also one CAN kill them from within the keep, although then you wont get the rockets and the healthpack until later on (shouldn`t be that necessary though).

Yeah. I actually got the rockets and health without noticing them, then I got shot and took a look around ! Anyway, it's just a pet peeve and not a real flaw in my opinion. The map is excellent and I'm looking forward to your next one.