Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Post your Doom video! [but don't quote video]

Homing rockets have a fixed turning radius, the idea is to dodge within this radius to force the rocket to crash, or at least buy yourself more time to get behind cover.

For example:

1) Player in green with a homing rocket heading for them. The homing rocket's maximum turn radius at that point is plotted as smaller dots.
2) Player moves within rocket's turning radius. Moving anywhere to the "south" of the plotted line is useless as the rocket can reach this.
3) Rocket turns to intercept player but cannot turn tight enough, impacting with wall.

If you have no cover you can use this tactic to cause rockets to crash into a wall. Back yourself against the wall and turn at the VERY last second, the rockets cannot keep up with you.

I can make a test PWAD and record a demo if you like?

Super Jamie said:

I can make a test PWAD and record a demo if you like?

That'd be awesome! Thanks =)

I'm also gonna do as you said, and put myself in a hallway with a few to test the dodging out.

eargosedown said:

That'd be awesome! Thanks =)

Doom 2 MAP01 - Single Player

Practice map for dodging Revenant homing rockets. Revenants in right and left will follow you through the hallways. Revenant in center is monster-blocked into its' passage. Press use on silver wall to lower the middle area. There is no exit.

Included demo shows:
1) Dodging homing rockets by hiding inside their turn radius
2) Setting rockets into orbit around the player
3) How to evade rockets with no cover to hide behind

Demo recorded with PrBoom-Plus 2.5.0.6 -complevel 2 and DOOM2.WAD v1.9. Watch demo with command:
prboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file rev.wad -playdemo rev.lmp

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p2ca4n

Also works with Vanilla DOOM2.EXE in DOS.

I always wondered if the turning radius is affected by the fixed-point or floating-point precision available in each engine.

For some reason, the rockets seem easier to dodge and smash into walls in vanilla Doom, where they don't track that accurately, while in source ports they are much more maneuverable, and can make 360 turns even in surprisingly small spaces ( I get hit a lot more in advanced source ports than in vanilla).

eargosedown said:

Thanks! I'll play it for a while today and hopefully get better.

Cool :) I included all the weapons so you can see how Revenants respond to each. They're painfully easy with the SSG, 2 or 3 shots usually. The regular shotgun can make them a nice challenge for an area where Imps or Hell Knights would be too easy. Revenants are easy to Pain Chance so the chaingun can be effective, though they'll still get a shot off every now and then so be careful. The Plasma Gun's more rapid fire renders them pretty much harmless.

Also in PrBoom-Plus you can press Keypad 0 to change the view when playing a demo. First press removes the HUD, keeps the camera on the player but you use your own controls to rotate the view. Second press detaches the camera from the player entirely, so you can walk around as the camera and watch how things happen from wherever you like.

I watched the!PIPE!.wad nightmare speedrun. Pretty neat. I fully remember that wad. It is like a 1994/5 wad isn't it? Damn.

So anyway, (this is a bit embarrassing), I was confused as to the map layout while watching that speedrun. Sooo, what did I do? The obvious thing: I hit 'TAB' to bring up the automap.

Funnily enough, that didn't work.

Glad I am not the only one who has done this. I personally think YouTube should implement an automap function on all Doom videos posted there.

I mean, how hard could it be? o_0

On another note entirely, this is a bit of a nub question, but what is a good way to record video of playing Doom? I use ZDoom mostly, though PrBoom sometimes also. It is probably really simple, but I have never actually done it.

Kyka said:

On another note entirely, this is a bit of a nub question, but what is a good way to record video of playing Doom? I use ZDoom mostly, though PrBoom sometimes also. It is probably really simple, but I have never actually done it.

prboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file awesomelevel.wad -record myspeedrun

Check here for complevels depending on what you want to achieve: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/46153-compatibility-level-recommendations/

Super Jamie said:

prboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file awesomelevel.wad -record myspeedrun

Check here for complevels depending on what you want to achieve: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/46153-compatibility-level-recommendations/

Stoopid me. I should have been more precise in how I worded that. I know how to make .lmp files as demo's etc etc, I meant more how people make the sort of videos that are posted in this thread.

Sorry dude, my bad.

[edit]Also, while I think of it, Mr Super Jamie. What is the deal, posting in threads and stuff when there's a certain UAC Ultra project that needs finishing. Now back to work. :P

eargosedown said:

That's the easiest way, definitely.

If you want to record to a video format (IE: Avi) you'll need a program like Camstudio or Camtasia.

Are these freeware, and just as importantly, easy to use?

Guess I will just look on the web eh?

Thanks for the replies.

Kyka said:

An underestimated way to record video on Windows is to use VirtualDub: it's free, and it has an AVI capture mode that works wonders with windowed programs, after some tweaking such as which zone to cap etc.

I've used it with success to cap both ZDoom, prBoom and even MAME displays. No watermarks, direct Xvid capture, and precise tweaking of capturing format, including audio. The only limitation is that in order to avoid capturing window contols and part of your desktop, you must limit your app to a window and set the capture zone precisely in the viewport by hand, and not move the window around or other stuff in front of it.

So you basically record a demo, and then set the source port to play it back, with the screen cap zone already set at where the window will pop, more or less.

Next few episodes are up:

Dead simple - Well, I am within the first 10 seconds of this map.

More fun and deaths!

I luck out with the pain chance on an arch vile, then I open my mouth and get smoked! Count deaths along with me!

Comments/rate/hate welcome! Sadly, even though I did a few sexy dodges on rev rockets, I take one square to the face in the first video >.> but noone saw that right?

eargoesdown continues on her merry way through AlienVendettaVille. With lots of funny moments, deaths, and general hooha!

Keep them coming. I am really looking forwards to seeing you tackle level 11, which is one of my favorite levels ever made. And there is soooo much more AV goodness to come!

Kyka said:

eargoesdown continues on her merry way through AlienVendettaVille. With lots of funny moments, deaths, and general hooha!

Keep them coming. I am really looking forwards to seeing you tackle level 11, which is one of my favorite levels ever made. And there is soooo much more AV goodness to come!

Haha thanks =) Next batch should be recorded soon. Had a death in the non-immediate family so I've been across the country for the past week. Just getting settled back in.

I did come to the realization, however, that it isn't a completely blind playthrough. I used to frequent ZDaemon Coop servers and a few of them were running alien vendetta. So I still have a partial layout memory of some of them. Luckily, my memory is pretty crappy so surprises still ensue :D

From my upcoming Skulltag mod. Anybody remember back when flashlights were in every weapon mod? This time the flashlight is going to be freaking USEFUL.

WildWeasel said:

From my upcoming Skulltag mod. Anybody remember back when flashlights were in every weapon mod? This time the flashlight is going to be freaking USEFUL.

Lolz, I love the handcrankiness.

ArmouredBlood said:

Lolz, I love the handcrankiness.

Agreed!

It's a shame, though, that most flashlights in this engine don't work like flashlights. Even in whatever engine Half Life is based on it's extremely obvious that light isn't travelling outwards in a cone but is just emerging in a fixed-size sphere from the point where the ray from the flashlight contacts something.

So, for those interested, here's another idea on how to make a flashlight in Doom. It has its own weaknesses but also some respectable strengths. Make it so that "firing" the flashlight has the same full-brightness effect of the lite-amp, but also have it spawn a sprite some short distance in front of the player, in the same way that archvile flames spawn in front of the player. This sprite should serve as a "stencil" - it should have a round opening in the middle, for the flashlight's "beam," while filling the rest of the player's screen with black. If this sprite is set to the right degree of translucency, it will make it seem that only the center of the player's screen is being illuminated while the rest is still darker. It's unavoidable that this method will change the colour of the entire screen, instead of just brighten the middle, but this doesn't ruin the idea, because in reality, if you shine a flashlight in a dark room, the entire room will be illuminated somewhat, not only the circle where light from the flashlight hits the wall.

You're welcome.

Next up!

Part 2 cuts out shortly, my recorded decided to crash when it was compiling the video, so it screwed up the rest of the segment. To summarize what happened after:
  • I screamed a lot.
  • I got owned by a revenant rocket square in the face and felt stupid.
  • I ran around in circles for a while because I couldn't figure out how to open the sewer area.
  • I exited the game, apologizing for not being able to open the sewer gate because I couldn't figure out the "puzzle".
  • I watched a video of a playthrough of the level on youtube, found out all I had to do was nudge the friggen middle bar, and I looked like a huge idiot for spending 15 minutes hunting for the dang puzzle solution.
Also, yes, my mic apparently went to crap this past week. A bit of pinging going on, so I do apologize =(

eargosedown said:

Unneccessary force...? Always necessary!

quoted for win.

Next up... map 11.. best map ever imo. (Well certainly right up there.)

The only comment I would make here is this. Heh, you really gotta stop saving just after you have taken a hammering and have like 8% health. Better to get in the habit of saving after you have picked up health/armor, rather than after you have lost it.

Kyka said:

The only comment I would make here is this. Heh, you really gotta stop saving just after you have taken a hammering and have like 8% health. Better to get in the habit of saving after you have picked up health/armor, rather than after you have lost it.

Indeed. That habit may become VERY troublesome in the later maps, so wouldnt hurt to get rid of the habit asap :P

Elso, as said before, love watching the vids

Kyka said:

Definitely. However, that being said, the fact that i remember to save at all is a bit of a wonder sometimes. Thank god for the ZDoom autosave feature.

That's bizarre. What could be causing that?

Kyka said:

That's bizarre. What could be causing that?

It's a bug in the engine, something to do with the walls being at 90 degrees. It's pretty easy to reproduce.

There are also a few inaccessible secrets in PSX Final Doom.