Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoom 2.9 Full Release (updated to 2.9g)

Well, this is interesting, I downloaded the beta and got it setup while the add-on pack finished downloading. When that was done I dropped it in /skins, but didn't bother copying any of the monsters into my config. I was trying out Doom E1, and when I got to E1M3 I had attacking barrels instead of demons and spectres. Amusing, but I'm guessing it's not intentional. sd_custom_replacements was set to true by default (I just now noticed that), but changing it to false has no effect on this

Also, the announcer voice still plays when hitting the level end switches, even if you have it turned off.

(Do you prefer bug reports here or at the ZDoom forums? I check here more often, but it doesn't really matter to me; I can post there just as easily.)

Dragonsbrethren said:

Well, this is interesting, I downloaded the beta and got it setup while the add-on pack finished downloading. When that was done I dropped it in /skins, but didn't bother copying any of the monsters into my config. I was trying out Doom E1, and when I got to E1M3 I had attacking barrels instead of demons and spectres. Amusing, but I'm guessing it's not intentional. sd_custom_replacements was set to true by default (I just now noticed that), but changing it to false has no effect on this

Also, the announcer voice still plays when hitting the level end switches, even if you have it turned off.

(Do you prefer bug reports here or at the ZDoom forums? I check here more often, but it doesn't really matter to me; I can post there just as easily.)

Thank you very much. LOL, the barrel problem is due to some wacky DECORATE which got added to the add-on pack that slipped through the cracks.
Same with the intermission/finale announcer voice staying on, and that was a quick fix in the exe.

I re-uploaded the add-on pack as well as the executable archive for the fixes:
2.6 Beta add-on pack (fixed):
http://www.filefront.com/15027975/gzscoredoom2.6%28BETA%29ADDONPACK.rar

2.6 Beta executable package (fixed):
http://www.filefront.com/15026461/gzscoredoom-2.6%28BETA%29.rar

BTW, I don't mind where you post bug reports, whichever is most convenient, since I browse both forums.

-----
EDIT: For some comedy, To make all explosive barrels aggressive:

sd_rep_explosivebarrel_chance=100 (default is 40)
....&
[ExplosiveBarrelReplacements]
MadBarrel=1

These lines also make interesting barrel replacements..
Swarm=1
TeslaCoil=1

Besides the default monsters, only explosive barrels and burning barrels can be replaced this way.

When you start up the beta using the add-on pack:

Warning: Cardinal and Afrit both have doomednum 3120.

Also, it's possible for both Nail Borg variants to kill themselves with their own nail bombs if you're standing right next to them when they fire them.

BilboHicks said:

EDIT: For some comedy, To make all explosive barrels aggressive:

sd_rep_explosivebarrel_chance=100 (default is 40)

Heh, even at 40, this effectively stops a Doom 2 playthrough at Barrels 'o Fun. I did see an invulnerability sphere just out of reach a few times, so it may be possible to complete at 40. All you need to do is get to that in time, and you should be good to go for the rest of the map. 100 is definitely impossible though, the barrels all fly over to you immediately, and you can't do anything except stand there for a second and die.

@greenherring. That dooMed issue is fixed.
Thank you for the Nailborg info.

@Dragonsbrethren: Too funny. Barrels o' fun must be mental with all them coming at you.

Once the full version of 2.6 is done, I'll try to get through Neodoom again. (though I doubt I'll make it past that mega vixen in map27... much less the regular vixens.)

Until then... I'll think of which megawad to do next.

@Dragonsbrethern: You really found a pretty serious bug there!

It would happen when:
1. you saved a game on a level with 'boss' monsters (creatures with A_BossDeath in their DECORATE)
2. You closed and restarted gzscoredoom.exe
3. load the level
4. kill one of the 'boss' monsters --> possible crash.

Its been fixed now, and I updated the beta download link on scoredoom.com:
http://www.filefront.com/15069469/gzscoredoom-2.6%28BETA%29.rar

This has been there across several releases, and I do remember having a problem finishing MAP30 of Congestion 1024, due to a crash just like this in version 2.5r4.

Thanks again for the help & info.

The Iron Lich problem has been fixed, so Heretic is completable again :-).
@DragonsBrethren: I looked into adding compat_missileclip, but it requires a ton of decorate changes to be implemented properly. I will add you to the list of contributors, since you've done some great Q.A. work, and you should of been added in 2.5r4.

Full 2.6 release should be out soon, before xmas at least.

Glad to see it's being updated again :)

The new customization for monsters is very good. Also, this version of Scoredoom seems much more stable. It hasn't crashed on me even once, whereas in 2.5r4 I couldn't even get through episode 1 without it randomly crashing on me practically every time. I was going to say something about that but I think you were on vacation and I must have forgot about it. Anyway the problem seems to be completely gone now, whatever it was.

My suggestions/observations:
I think it would be nice if Scoredoom automatically put in the default monsters/amounts that you listed in the help file when it generates a new config file. Minor, but it seems dumb to make people copy/paste that.

I've noticed very recently that Scoredoom demos do not keep track of whether random monsters in single player is turned on, causing desynch if you have random monsters turned off in your ini file during playback, but they were on when the demo was recorded (and vice versa). I think the demos should really keep track of that variable to avoid the problem (maybe the custom monster settings as well - would that be needed to gaurantee no desynch if the config has been changed?).

Finally, I've noticed one of the enemies is glitchy. That super fast arch-vile like thing which you can only harm when it shoots at you (I think that describes it well enough). It can get stuck in a perpetual repeating animation where it goes nowhere and can't be shot or affected in any way. I have two demos where it happened if you'd like to see it. Both times it was near a decoration, so I think that might have had something to do with it getting stuck.

sector666 said:
The new customization for monsters is very good. Also, this version of Scoredoom seems much more stable. It hasn't crashed on me even once, whereas in 2.5r4 I couldn't even get through episode 1 without it randomly crashing on me practically every time. I was going to say something about that but I think you were on vacation and I must have forgot about it. Anyway the problem seems to be completely gone now, whatever it was.

Yes there were a few bugs that got fixed which has improved stability.

sector666 said:
My suggestions/observations:
I think it would be nice if Scoredoom automatically put in the default monsters/amounts that you listed in the help file when it generates a new config file. Minor, but it seems dumb to make people copy/paste that.

Valid Point.

sector666 said:
I've noticed very recently that Scoredoom demos do not keep track of whether random monsters in single player is turned on, causing desynch if you have random monsters turned off in your ini file during playback, but they were on when the demo was recorded (and vice versa). I think the demos should really keep track of that variable to avoid the problem (maybe the custom monster settings as well - would that be needed to gaurantee no desynch if the config has been changed?).

I'll look into this.

sector666 said:
Finally, I've noticed one of the enemies is glitchy. That super fast arch-vile like thing which you can only harm when it shoots at you (I think that describes it well enough). It can get stuck in a perpetual repeating animation where it goes nowhere and can't be shot or affected in any way. I have two demos where it happened if you'd like to see it. Both times it was near a decoration, so I think that might have had something to do with it getting stuck.

Hmmn, could you be more descriptive? :-) The Deathknight? The Tornado Demon?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm also working on improving the hi-score server communication & data, so that different add-on pack versions can have their own scores concurrently. This will also involve checks to make sure that only the default load-out can be used for online hi scoring.
This will push back the release date a bit more, but it will be worth it.

Too bad it pushes the date back, but good idea.

BilboHicks said:

Hmmn, could you be more descriptive? :-) The Deathknight? The Tornado Demon?

The closest thing I could think of to compare what it looked like was an arch-vile. It's the Flesh Wizard. I don't know why I didn't think to look it up in the webage that comes with the addon pack sooner.

Looking at that page gave me another idea. Can the artifacts that show up be customized like the monsters/barrels can (didn't seem like they could from the readme)? Seeing the double and quad damage listed on the page, it made me think there could be a powerup that temporarily makes all player shots to be "ripping" type. I wish I knew how to make that, but anyway I think there's at least the potential for there to additional powerups that fit with Scoredoom, which means having them customizable might be useful. It could make for some interesting gameplay at least :P

Oh, and Guardian Cube description on that page says they shoot bullets when they really shoot twin flamey projectiles. Just curious if you were thinking of Strain when you wrote that? (I expected them to shoot bullets myself because of that enemy in Strain.)

sector666 said:

Too bad it pushes the date back, but good idea.

The closest thing I could think of to compare what it looked like was an arch-vile. It's the Flesh Wizard. I don't know why I didn't think to look it up in the webage that comes with the addon pack sooner.

Looking at that page gave me another idea. Can the artifacts that show up be customized like the monsters/barrels can (didn't seem like they could from the readme)? Seeing the double and quad damage listed on the page, it made me think there could be a powerup that temporarily makes all player shots to be "ripping" type. I wish I knew how to make that, but anyway I think there's at least the potential for there to additional powerups that fit with Scoredoom, which means having them customizable might be useful. It could make for some interesting gameplay at least :P

Artifacts currently can only have their rate of occurrence to be changed. But, yeah, it would be cool to have artifacts customizable like monsters. I didn't plan to use it, since I'm happy with artifacts as they are. But I'll look into adding this.

2.6 is orificially out. ;-)

@sector666: I added most of your requested changes. Artifacts and extra health drops can be configured like monsters. Unfortunately with the demos, you will still need to keep track of your ini settings.
See http://scoredoom.com or scoredoom.html in the /docs dir for any new info regarding this release & its new features.

Release 2.6
Custom monsters, artifacts and extra health drops can be added dynamically from the ini file.
The rate of extra health/armor and artifact drops, and the rate in which
default monsters get replaced can be altered now from the ini file
Various bug fixes.
HUD slightly improved to notify when a hi score is beaten, or if in co-op, the current player is in the lead.
Better usage of Bloodbath announcer.

2.6 Add-on pack is also available which tweaks existing monsters as well as adding new ones.

Hi Score Server now supports multiple add-on packs.

Other minor enhancements.

I added fixes for add-on pack 'bugs'/bugs reported, (SSGZombies will re-appear etc....). Also added 3 new monsters and a new artifact. You should download the latest exe and add-on-pack.
In your ini file, under [Doom.Bindings] add:

b=use artibunnysd
n=use artidarkservant2
m=use artisentryservant2

A fresh install will add these.

A little update on my current progress in Fragport: I'm at the starting point of Tech City, and my current score so far is 1074269.

I'll try to finish Fragport up today if I can, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new added stuff.

Release 2.7 Out
BFG & Rocket Launcher have new alt-fire modes.
Add-On Pack-wise: New artifact & a bunch of new monsters.
Other small code & add-on pack changes for better add-on pack content,
inlcuding suggestions from players.
This release requires that the gzscoredoom.pk3 also be updated

I certainly like how you made the Aldhivas and evil doom guy enemies less durable... though they're still rather tough to hit for their class.

As for those super hell knight enemies and their second forms, even for being the only "boss" demon to spawn amongst the hell knight-class enemies, they're still easy to take out with the rocket launcher. (Those second forms of those super hell knights can be a big problem though, because their attack reminds me of those Scythe 2 Afrits.)

Release 2.7v2 Out
New feature: Boss-Rush. When playing with the Add-On Pack on Ultimate Doom maps E1M8,E2M8,E3M8,E4M8,
you will need to finish off a series of bosses before the episode completes.
Beefed up the Nuke to be more commensurate with ammo consumed.
Other minor add-on pack tweaks.
*This release requires that the gzscoredoom.pk3 also be updated*

Scoredoom will increase par time for these levels when playing with the add-on pack to compensate.

One question though: Will that boss rush thing also apply to enemies whose deaths are required for the level to be able to advance forward?

Edit: An example of such is the Spider Mastermind boss in Map30 of ConsoleDoom. I also found that in E4M6 of Ultimate Doom, there was a Cyberdemon boss rush

gun_psycho said:

I also found that in E4M6 of Ultimate Doom, there was a Cyberdemon boss rush

That's normal, that cyberdemon is a boss whose death triggers a lower floor door blaze open action that opens the exit.

gun_psycho said:

One question though: Will that boss rush thing also apply to enemies whose deaths are required for the level to be able to advance forward?

Edit: An example of such is the Spider Mastermind boss in Map30 of ConsoleDoom. I also found that in E4M6 of Ultimate Doom, there was a Cyberdemon boss rush

Yeah what Gez said. Any level that is flagged as a cybedemon, baron or spid master special will trigger a boss rush.

Version 2.8 is out. This add-on pack will be the last one 'officially' supported by the Scoredoom hi score server, and this will be the final version of Scoredoom. I will fix any minor sound/sprite conflicts though in the add-on pack. Also 2.8 hi score server files to follow shortly.

Features:
*Ton of new monsters.
* the terrorsphere has been toned down from 1 minute to 30 secs.
* the smartbomb now forces radius damage on bosses, so it can harm bosses better and no-radius damage flagged monsters.
* There is a Former UAC Scientist monster, which occasionally shows up and will drop UAC data you can pick up for +250, +500 & +1000 bonus points. They sort of take off like the points bunny, but nearly so frenetic!
* The Boss Rushs have been improved, so that spawned in bosses dont sometimes split into two. New bosses have been added and more extra monsters spawn in as well.
*Bug fix for the rocketlauncher no auto-aiming for primary fire. Other bug fixes.

Im anticipating some content conflicts post-release, so keep me updated on conflicting sprites & sounds, but I dont think there will be many problems.

I wish you would have said something about making a final version ahead of time. I would have tried to think about any ideas I had before a final version came out.

I have one I've been thinking about in fact, which I would have made sure to post sooner if I had known about that. The more I think about it the more I think it would be very nice if monster/artifact replacement settings could be stored in their own separate file. That would allow having several different sets that could easily be switched between just by changing one setting in the main ini (or even better, in game as well?). People could also share settings easily that way, and possibly make challenges for each other with the settings they make.

If this is added, it would also be a very good idea to save the name of the monster configuration used (if any) in demos that are made, and automatically use that configuration upon playback.

I hope it's not too late though with you saying final all of a sudden. I really wish there was some warning before that.

sector666 said:

I wish you would have said something about making a final version ahead of time. I would have tried to think about any ideas I had before a final version came out.

I have one I've been thinking about in fact, which I would have made sure to post sooner if I had known about that. The more I think about it the more I think it would be very nice if monster/artifact replacement settings could be stored in their own separate file. That would allow having several different sets that could easily be switched between just by changing one setting in the main ini (or even better, in game as well?). People could also share settings easily that way, and possibly make challenges for each other with the settings they make.

If this is added, it would also be a very good idea to save the name of the monster configuration used (if any) in demos that are made, and automatically use that configuration upon playback.

I hope it's not too late though with you saying final all of a sudden. I really wish there was some warning before that.

duly noted. I'm actually still working on 2.8, so I *may* consider this, depending on my motivation/effort quotient to get it done ;-).

As always, thanks for the feedback.

A random thought: One bonus each for getting 100% in Kills, Items or Secrets when you finish the level? Makes sense, at least.

Although, you'd have to take into account the levels that have 0 of a specified category (often Items and Secrets,) and the levels in which you can't get 100% in a category for some reason (e.g. Doom II MAP15 and its unreachable teleport secret.)

Again, just a random thought.

The Green Herring said:

A random thought: One bonus each for getting 100% in Kills, Items or Secrets when you finish the level? Makes sense, at least.

Although, you'd have to take into account the levels that have 0 of a specified category (often Items and Secrets,) and the levels in which you can't get 100% in a category for some reason (e.g. Doom II MAP15 and its unreachable teleport secret.)

Again, just a random thought.

Hmmn, I like that idea. This would make item pickup more of an incentive for starters. I think a barrel bonus would be good too.