Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phml

Phmlspd demos (Boom, -complevel 9)

Map09 UV Max in 7:54

Luring stuff to infight near the berzerk pack worked great. Red key room cybie fight went poorly, and I lost time fighting the final cyberdemons as well.

Other stuff to do to go faster : get the masterminds to infight, in the BFG room let the remaining half of the archviles loose and kill them with BFG blasts rather than rockets, in the final room get the cybies to infight and stand near the exit rather than run away. Might take me a while to make all of that happen...

ph09-754.zip

Map09 UV Max in 6:50

New route that I discovered completely by luck. On a previous run, I went for the BFG early and went for the yellow key room ; out of habit, I pressed the crusher switch while going for the YK, thinking it wouldn't hurt anyway.

In fact it would hurt, specifically archviles. They stacked neatly under the east crushers while I was east ; the next course of action was obvious and I modified my route around that. As an extra, the demons roaming in lava also stack in the south-east corner, making the clean up job faster.

In this demo, I unfortunately pick up the megasphere while at 170/170 *and* immediately get hit by a rocket and other stuff, dropping to 40ish health. In that shape, it takes me a sluggish 45 seconds to defeat the last two cyberdemons, so I'm thinking that time could still be improved quite a bit.

ph09-650.zip

That door juggling (by the green armor) looked fun. :)

Map09 UV Max in 5:39

I couldn't believe the time on screen when I entered the exit, as my previous attempts were all in the 6:30 - 7:00 mark and my goal was just to get under 6:30... I handled the cyberdemons well, compared to my usual (lack of) skills when it comes to them, and the whole run was great. Two minor changes on the route : going for the YK before the RL (saves about 10 seconds), shooting rockets on the bridge pillars so infinitely tall splash damage kill demons faster than slowly killing them with the SSG.

I thought of eventually using AV jumps to reach the secrets, but the occasion didn't arise. The runs where it worked failed later so I'm not sure if it'd be an improvement or a wash (have to kill the demons/spectres in corridors leading to secrets either way).

ph09-539.zip

Nice, that's a very clean run. No superfluous movements or shots, impressive efficiency.

Map04 NM Speed in 1:14

Same route as slow UV Speed, except I have to pick the megasphere and (of course) monsters being much more aggressive makes it much harder. It's very luck based as hell knights might or might not block demons trying to get to you when coming back from the blue key - and if demons get through, it's very hard to keep going.

Fortunately, here they don't and the stars shine on me as before the exit everything manages to miss me while I am at 7 health.

phn04-114.zip

M10 fda, not successful and long and probably boring as I try to figure out exactly what each switch does and how best to grab the keys. Still left way too many imps alive to deal with the archs quickly in the last few tries.

abphmlspdm10-1st.zip

Map10 UV Max in 19:15

First demo, as usual being more of a walkthrough or an experiment than a proper speedrun. It's going fine until the moment where I pick up the invul sphere in the revenant room and back up rather than charge straight through the cyberdemons - most of the BFG ammo is near the exit, and getting through the cybies at all in a reasonable amount of time is hard without an invul sphere.

ph10-1915.zip

Map08 UV Max in 9:38

Rather than try to do stuff that is potentially faster but actually too hard for me, I play conservatively and focus on staying in good shape rather than speeding through. The end result is a demo that is only seconds faster than my other one but much more pleasant to see in my opinion.

ph08-938.zip

Map10 UV Max in 14:23

Using the speed route to get an early BFG. Wasting it by going behind the cybies too early (archviles ressurected a whole lot of stuff).

ph10-1423.zip

Map10 UV Max in 9:33

:)

It's interesting, usually on other maps I need a lot of attempts to be able to exit at all, and there's still room for improvement. Here, I can manage this route pretty consistently - I'd say a 80% success rate, and I don't see a way to improve it. I did have to do a lot of attempts, simply because I often make small mistakes over the course of a 10 minute demo, and monsters don't always stack up so well (got a bunch of demos in the 10:15 - 10:45 range). The key seems to be a mancubus getting stuck in the three key door, everything bunches up nicely then.

In other attempts, going for the BFG slightly faster didn't seem to help, as it forced me to waste cells killing revs that'd die from cybies with the route used in this demo, and I'm ending up having more stuff to kill with less ammo, so the minute saved is either a wash or more of a loss than a win.

ph10-933.zip

Map08 UV Max in 8:41

First attempt of the day on this map, and I get this right away ! Cool ! I'm not even annoyed at losing half a minute due to stragglers. :)

ph08-841.zip

Opening the door to wake one more cybie... That's a cool idea.

I'm getting better at going for the keys right away - can now do it and even kill the 16 archviles relatively consistently, however I'm still crap at the cybie fights and either I die or finish with a 8:40+ time.

Almost getting frustrated with that, so instead I recorded another TAS. It might not be worth watching if you saw the previous one, only a 30 second improvement and no major route change or optimization for that matter.

Map08 UV Max (TAS) in 6:00

ph08-600.zip

I tried that route and got 8:14 (and missed a bunch of enemies like usual). One possible optimization is open the yellow door to let that cyber out to infight before you get the last key.

I sometimes do that and sometimes don't, depends if I get an opening between the HKs (also having so much cybie deaths without TAS I'm inclined to open it later... :) ).

What I'm wondering is if the invul wouldn't be better used after the archviles... It feels partly wasted against archviles (either getting propelled backwards not maximizing shots or hiding behind corners and wasting time), and not all that great against the first cybie wave when luring it out is an easy option ; whereas against the baron horde (and other monsters) it might allow for better BFG use.

... So much for me questioning Anima doing just that a few days ago, heh.

Edit : tried that, and other tactics (getting the red/yellow key room cybie to infight with their respective archies... that is to say, archies focused on cybies), all results were worse.