Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gez

Attached sectors -- Is that behavior normal?

I was trying to understand how attached sectors work in Eternity, and therefore made a little test level to try different combinations.
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/MVBnxjZujO/attachtest.zip

I'm a bit puzzled by the behavior of the platforms in the middle of the map, where the control sector is tagged for both floors and ceilings. A movement of the control sector's floor is echoed by the ceiling-attached sectors' ceiling; and vice-versa if the ceiling moves then the floor-attached sectors' floor move as well.

It seems strange to me, so -- bug or feature?

Well, you set up the middle controller to use both its floor and its ceiling movement as reference. In result, the attached sectors respond both to its floor and ceiling displacement, using their own designated surfaces (floor west, ceiling east).

SetFloorControl is not named this way because it'd expect AttachFloor linetypes to it, rather because the floor surface is going to be used as reference for any attached sectors.

EDIT:
And yay I've managed to make a through-lift portal, sorta, using attached sectors; thanks to essel for the help. For now, only two-story elevators. I'll have to find out about multistory some day, because of possibility of making skyscrapers in Eternity.

I created an external control sector and set it as the FloorControl. Then I attached both parts' (sectors above and below the portal) floors to that control sector -- only the floors. Both parts' floor and lower textures have to be the same, for consistency's sake. All in all, good that it works, but it once again looks like 2.5d engine to me :)

One problem: the attached surfaces don't receive any sound sequence; they're silent!

printz said:

One problem: the attached surfaces don't receive any sound sequence; they're silent!

Known problem ;)

Gez said:

So, do you confirm what Printz said about control planes?

Sorry that's SoM's feature. If something is wrong with it, he's the guy that can tell you the yes/no's or fix it. Just from your description, I honestly have no idea what is going on.

Gez said:

I was trying to understand how attached sectors work in Eternity, and therefore made a little test level to try different combinations.
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/MVBnxjZujO/attachtest.zip

I'm a bit puzzled by the behavior of the platforms in the middle of the map, where the control sector is tagged for both floors and ceilings. A movement of the control sector's floor is echoed by the ceiling-attached sectors' ceiling; and vice-versa if the ceiling moves then the floor-attached sectors' floor move as well.

It seems strange to me, so -- bug or feature?

So basically setting a surface as a control means EE will take the vector of the displacement and apply it to all attached surfaces. You can attach a floor to a ceiling and a ceiling to a floor. It's all a matter of how you have it set up.

Mirrored means the the opposite of the motion vector of the control surface will be applied to the attached surfaces. So attaching a floor mirrored to a ceiling will make the floor lower as the ceiling raises. This can actually be used to make split doors (where the ceiling raises and the floor lowers)

If you want floors attached to floors that set the floor to a control and the other floor attached with the same tag. Using the mirrored attach linedef type for the attached floor will make it do the opposite of what the control does.