Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Seraph

Space Sky on E1?

When Doomcenter had that 'Episode 1' week they had an interview with the man John Romero; and he mentioned Episode 1 having a space sky. Did this just appear in an early beta or what? Every version of E1 I've seen has a whitish sky.
Does anyone know where the landscape was scanned from? I reckon it looks like the Andes but I've also heard rumours that it could be China...

Seraph as far as location you are correct...those foliage mountains are in and around south east asia (tropics) what many have suggested the landscape is in E1 is all terraformed however about the sky i have no clue...

Actually those mountains(game-wise)are the walls of the crater that the Phobos Base is in.
Taking them from Reality(tm), I say they're from a tropical place, with the greenness all over the mountains' surfaces.

A picture of the real location used for the Ep1 sky featured as a Doomworld pic of the day a few months ago. It was indeed very green by comparison with the on found in DOOM.WAD

As far as the other sky goes, There was another sky in the alpha/bta versions of doom. Got MBF? That should come with a file called BETALVL.WAD. In there is a graphic called SKY1. That could be the graphic you are on about.

i wonder why they switched skys then from the beta.....Yeah the fog sky looks cool and all, but it made me beleave that doom took place on earth for a while.

A few weeks ago I posted a picture to Doomcenter that I scanned from my Geography handbook - a Chinese mountain range that looked exactly like the Phobos sky.

It's impossible to terraform Phobos like that. It's an asteroid, afterall. I guess a Dome would make more sense, but hills in a Dome? That's one hell of a dome, if you ask me.

I hope id takes focuses in a little more of real data for Doom3...

I've had a look at that Betalevl file with MBF and I'm not convinced. If that is the space sky that Romero was on about then they didn't just remove the space sky - they changed the landscape as well for the shareware version.
Why? Well it looks cool, but...? It's a mystery for now I guess.