Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phml

Phmlspd demos (Boom, -complevel 9)

Nice !

Map10 seems easier in NM than in UV, the extra ammo negates the need for backpack/plasma, and revenants are more likely to stop and shoot than move and block, which was the only roadblock. Though, as you mention, the part where the first invul runs out is harder. I can't believe I never thought of not shooting the cybies to pass through them safely, heh.

Map11 UV Max in 6:20

By spending a few seconds to make sure I wake all the demons and kill the two spectres, I avoid a long trek back to that flesh part in the end.

Run went great overall, although there's a few wasted BFG shots. I think being more aggressive against the archviles/horde of monsters in the main room might make it under six minutes.

ph11-620.zip

Good demo. I think it's not so useful to pick the cyberdemon megasphere and wait for the other cyberdemon to move away from the invul, though ; in my own attempts, I just used the yellow skull megasphere (secret).

I've made a TAS demo to illustrate the route I would use. So far, in a legit demo I've managed to get to the elevator multiple times, but haven't got out yet. I usually die at around 3:05, which is about 15 seconds slower than this TAS (IIRC). I expect the final part (archviles) would be slower too, but sub 4 minutes seems relatively doable.

Map06 NM Speed (TAS) in 3:32

ph06n332.zip

Map11 UV Max in 5:53

New route. I'm not sure it's better than the other one, but it was more fun to try something different than play the old route over and over.

ph11-553.zip

Map11 TAS
UV Speed in 1:04
UV Max in 4:20

Mostly done for my own curiosity. Speed uses an AV boost to make the close door linedef fail, and Max is the route I'm currently trying to do in a legit demo.

ph11tas.zip

Map11 UV Max in 4:41

Very happy with this one. Mostly the same route used as in the TAS demo, with some minor but important improvements.

I got so many attempts in the 5:00 - 5:20 range (including one at 5:09 with 20 seconds spent looking for a lone demon...) I could open a new demo archive. I would call it the Phmlspd map11 speed demo archive, and there'd be more demos in it than in the DSDA. Okay, maybe slight hyperbole here, but I did have to try a lot to finally manage this.

ph11-441.zip

Map11 UV Speed (TAS) in 1:01

Using an AV jump to get from the blue door to the red key, which saves a few seconds. After the red door, the "close door" linedef doesn't seem to close fast enough if running to the left, so no AV boost is required there.

ph11-101.zip

Map12 UV Max in 18:55

First exit. Uses IDDT near the end to find the two last imps.

Quite slow at times. I got stuck in the red key area for a while. I think I didn't get lucky with infighting, it seems the cybies died fast without causing much damage. I also let archviles live too long, and spent a lot of time looking for the last few enemies.

ph12-1855.zip

Map12 UV Max in 14:09

A bit faster. I'm still confused at which approach to choose most of the time. I'm thinking rushing to the three keys to provoke as much infighting as possible is the way to go, but to do that and stay alive doesn't seem so easy.

ph12-1409.zip

Map12 UV Max in 12:17

Less than two minutes better than the previous demo, but a much more clean run in my opinion - especially the start.

I'm still way too slow at dealing with the cyberdemons in the red key room ; I think I need to kill them before going out rather than come back later, it'd also let me activate the secret near the invul sphere (it's triggered by linedefs around the archvile megasphere).

I would have liked to get to the PE/caco traps earlier while stuff would infight in the main room but I chickened out. Maybe later..

ph12-1217.zip

Did a map 12 UV-Speed in 3:27.

All I did was pray to live. Pretty sure I got lucky on more than one occasion here.

Improvable I'm sure. As to an exact number, I can't say right now.

I can say that I got extremely lucky coming up the steps after flicking the switch to access the invul sphere next to the megasphere secret. Didn't think I was gonna plow thru all those enemies up top with the health and armor I had at the time.

ph12-327.zip

Map12 UV Speed in 3:16

Slight improvements over your route, going back by the way I came from with the chaingunners saves a few seconds.

I also think sticking to the south walls as much as possible tend to make the HKs go south-west a bit more, leaving a gap at the right side of the stairs. Unfortunately, this attempt doesn't show it well, but I've had other failed tries where I managed to climb the whole stairs with firing only two or three BFG shots near the end (as there's deaf HKs who don't wake up before). It's possible to wallrun from south to north on the east wall on the stairs too, the slight speed boost can make the difference between going to the top right away or getting slowed down.

Between that and other few ackward bumps, a few seconds could be saved ; I doubt enough to make it under three minutes, but then again I don't SR50 so I can't estimate properly. An obvious TAS improvement would be to skip the first invul sphere, doubtful it's possible in an human run though - keeping enough life with the nine archviles and reaching the blue key door would be insanely frustrating to try.

ph12-316.zip

Map12 UV Max in 9:46

I think this is a rather nice demo, as there's absolutely no reliance on luck ; I can do that route and end up with a 10 minuteish time pretty consistently.

Improvements detailed in text file (it's a bit long, to avoid clutter I'd rather not copypaste).

ph12-946.zip

Nice run/route. I tried that some times but 10:02 was my fastest.

edit: I got 9:30, but missed 1 baron so probably not worth uploading.

F'ing revenants kill me when my plans are working right >.< Depending on the red key, this seems pretty possible, although the yellow key pillars for the bfg activate for the blue instead ...

Possible desynch with new ver -> height changes in some sectors from 50->520. causes a desynch?

phmlspdfdam13ab.zip

although the yellow key pillars for the bfg activate for the blue instead ...

Bah ! I saw that in an earlier run and didn't fix it !

Thanks for the heads up.

I've noticed another (small) problem, the cyberdemon in sector 2399 wakes up early despite being deaf. His buddies in the exact same kind of sector stay asleep just fine. I don't really get what's causing that.

I've watched the first two minutes of your demo with the latest version of Map13 and so far no desync, will look at the whole thing later (off to sleep now).

In case it desyncs, old link : http://www.toofiles.com/en/oip/documents/zip/2683_phmlspd.html

Sometimes node screwups cause stuff like that (i think, but know little about nodes or how to build them correctly for large/complex maps with lots of things etc).

I was afraid it'd be something like that. Tried switching it with another cybie, moving other Things around, the cybie still wakes up. I'll just let this bug be I guess, I don't want to move any sector around as everything is placed just as I want it right now.

A failed attempt for Map13... Lasting 49 minutes and with only 400 monsters left. Ouch.

I think my mistake was to shoot while going for the invul sphere, I should have waited until I grabbed it, and only then, shoot to wake the archviles and spectres (the way I did it, I got stuck from infinitely tall spectres and wasted most of my invul sphere).

It was probably stupid to use the other invul sphere in that room for the revenants, I should have kept both for the archviles.

ph13failed.zip

Map13 UV Max in 1:04:52

So I say I did something wrong (waking up archies too early)... Then I do it again. Duhhh.

I managed to stay alive, but it was close (8 health at some point).

ph13-6452.zip

Map13 UV Speed in 4:59

Could be faster.

Kind of funny to see a 1 hour long map with Max becomes a 5 minutes affair with Speed.

ph13-459.zip

Map13 UV Max in 48:46

The way I handle the cyberdemons in the blue key room can only be described as remarkably stupid. I probably lost 5 minutes just there.

Despite that, I manage to be 4 minutes faster than my previous attempt, probably thanks to the new BFG ammo but also by being more aggressive and efficient on the platforms leading to invuls. There's still lots of mishaps here and there, but it's getting better.

On another note, I tried different routes relying on infighting like gggmork is doing, but it's way out of my league. I keep getting killed - and I find it extremely frustrating to die 20-25 minutes in. Staying slow and safe here !

ph13-4846.zip