Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

[3.37.00] Mnemonic mistake

Linedef special #99 is wrongly called "WR_OpenLockedDoor_Blue_Fast" in ExtraData, when it's really a SR type. Change it quick before any maps relying on it appear :)

printz said:

Linedef special #99 is wrongly called "WR_OpenLockedDoor_Blue_Fast" in ExtraData, when it's really a SR type. Change it quick before any maps relying on it appear :)

ExtraData names for DOOM-type linedefs are considered deprecated. Please do not use them at all. The ability to specify BOOM generalized linetypes in ExtraData is also deprecated. I meant to announce this a while ago and never got around to it.

At the time allowing this sort of thing seemed OK, but with UDMF around the corner, it is actually just a major pain in the ass. The only reason to attach an ED record to a line in the first place is to use a parameterized line special, so please stick to those, and put other line specials in the map itself where they belong :)

Quasar said:

ExtraData names for DOOM-type linedefs are considered deprecated. Please do not use them at all. The ability to specify BOOM generalized linetypes in ExtraData is also deprecated. I meant to announce this a while ago and never got around to it.

Do you mean using those mnemonics, or even the numbers?

Note that there are no parameterized lift, elevator or donut specials. I still have to resort to Doom/Boom actions there, and sometimes I might need ExtraData, due to extflags.

printz said:

Note that there are no parameterized lift, elevator or donut specials.

There are Boom generalized lifts.

For elevators and donuts, you can build them with attached surfaces. If the ceiling is attached to the floor, then it makes a nice elevator. You can make it a donut if the movement is mirrored.

Gez said:

There are Boom generalized lifts.

That doesn't solve the fact there are no parameterized types for them.

printz said:

That doesn't solve the fact there are no parameterized types for them.

Extflags do not work on BOOM gen specs. They only work on Hexen/ACS line specials. Numbers are still supported.

Well yeah, but I was talking about parameterized specials' advantage of being free in values.

printz said:

Well yeah, but I was talking about parameterized specials' advantage of being free in values.

I don't understand what you mean by this, you'll have to clarify.

There are currently 3 types of line specials in EE:

• Doom-style specials
  • BOOM generalized specials
  • Parameterized specials
Of these three, the ED extflags field only applies to the 3rd type, parameterized. These are the same as line specials used by ACS and Hexen, and will become the *only* type of line special available in EE's UDMF namespace.

The main purpose of ExtraData, and the only real reason to use it currently, was to provide Hexen-format data fields to DOOM-format maps, and the current chief reason for doing that is to make use of parameterized line specials.

The reasons I want to remove support for using names for Doom specs and BOOM genspecs are:
  • The code to parse the latter is horrible and ugly.
  • The names for the former are terrible.
  • I do not wish to support either of these in the DOOM+ED -> UDMF map converter which I will be writing in order to migrate vaporware to UDMF. Since this will become the "official" tool for migration of EE projects, it will be important that people do not use deprecated features in their ExtraData lumps if they want to convert their maps.

Quasar said:

I don't understand what you mean by this, you'll have to clarify.

I meant that currently there aren't parameterized specials for platform-lifts, donuts, Boom-elevators and others.

printz said:

I meant that currently there aren't parameterized specials for platform-lifts, donuts, Boom-elevators and others.

Only because they are not finished. The process of adding UDMF will involve the DOOM-style line special system being folded into the Hexen-style one, so that EE can have a unified line special system for all gamemodes like ZDoom has. In the process of doing this, I must implement all of the missing classes of functionality (this will bring EE to near-100% Hexen linetype support and will also involve the implementation of most of ZDoom's extra line types that exist for DOOM compatibility purposes as well).

Using ExtraData to put in a BOOM plat type does not magically grant that type the ability to respond to extflags on the linedef. They are still ignored. Any affect you may think they are having is either imaginary, or a heretofore undetected bug in Eternity (plz2report if so).

The only function that checks for extflags when activating a linedef is P_ActivateParamLineSpec, which is only called if the line special in P_Cross/Use/ShootSpecialLine is considered a parameterized line special by the return value of the function E_IsParamLineSpec. This function only returns true for the 300-range param line specs currently used in the process of Hexen map translation and ACS execution. This does NOT include the 8192-and-up BOOM gen specs.

Quasar said:

Only because they are not finished. The process of adding UDMF will involve the DOOM-style line special system being folded into the Hexen-style one, so that EE can have a unified line special system for all gamemodes like ZDoom has. In the process of doing this, I must implement all of the missing classes of functionality (this will bring EE to near-100% Hexen linetype support and will also involve the implementation of most of ZDoom's extra line types that exist for DOOM compatibility purposes as well).

Speaking of which, I've compared the parameterized specials from Eternity with the action specials from ZDoom; and ended up creating this page on the Doom wiki. I figure it might be useful to help keep track of which specials are missing yet needed (and which specials are not needed, but occupy a number that therefore must not be given to another).

Gez: Note that Eternity uses different numbers than ZDoom and Hexen with regards to the specials, in order to accomodate with the plethora of Doom/Boom stuff (which I'll miss dearly). Also, Eternity has a few odd action specials, such as Floor_RaiseToLowest, which doesn't exist even in ZDoom.

printz said:

Gez: Note that Eternity uses different numbers than ZDoom and Hexen with regards to the specials

Not in UDMF or Hexen format. ;)