Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoom 2.9 Full Release (updated to 2.9g)

The Green Herring said:

Although, you'd have to take into account the levels that have 0 of a specified category (often Items and Secrets,)

0/0 counts as 100% in ZDoom.

The Green Herring said:

and the levels in which you can't get 100% in a category for some reason (e.g. Doom II MAP15 and its unreachable teleport secret.)

It would be possible to use ZDoom's built-in MD5 identification feature to correct the secret counts of these levels. See the automatic compatibility feature. (Though ScoreDoom is based on an older version that did not have this feature yet. See r1402 for when it was introduced.)

Having Kills/Barrels/Items/Secrets would be interesting. Giving bonus for each maxed category, and an extra bonus for a perfect score (100% in all four) would be interesting, and balance things a bit more between "maxing" and "speeding".

Gez said:

0/0 counts as 100% in ZDoom.

That wasn't the point. The point was that it doesn't make any sense for me to get a 100% Secrets bonus for not finding any secrets at all. Same with the other stats. Although, I suppose a much smaller bonus can be awarded for levels that have 0/0 in a particular stat.

That said, a "perfect score" bonus for getting 100% in all stats would be interesting too.

@Gez: Cheers for the heads-up on the md5 based correction code, that is pretty cool.

@GH: Yes I can deal with the level total item, monsters & secret counts by themselves, then just do a quick check on the player count as well as check that the level totals are not zero.
Will also add a barrel total count. Probably will have a 100 bonus or something for items, secrets, monsters & barrels.

Just finished a fix for the nasty bug whereby boss-rushes spaz out when a new boss cant spawn properly, like against the wall or the corner of the pentagram of E1M8, it was pretty easy to replicate.
Now, if the boss (spawning as a custom missile) cant spawn properly, it teleports to the original position of the original boss in the chain it spawned from with telefrag everything on. So for E1M8, it will spawn back in one of the Baron-Shacks. Seems to be working ok, but I will upload a beta sometime today or tomorrow on my zdoom.org thread for testing.

EDIT: beta link:
http://www.filefront.com/15585795/gzscoredoom2.8v2beta.rar

Tested three levels so far:

Doom E1M1:
Kills: Seems normal.
Items: No bonus.
Secrets: You get an "All secrets found!" bonus just from activating two out of the three secrets. This is odd.
Barrels: Seems normal, except for the stat screen readout; when you destroy all the barrels on this level, you get the "All barrels blown!" bonus, but the stat reads 20%.

Doom II MAP01:
Secret: You get an "All secrets found!" bonus when you exit the level, even if you've found no secrets at all. WTF?
Barrels: Naturally, displays 100% since there are no barrels in the level.

TNT MAP01 (w/ TNT31.WAD):
Secrets: Again, you get an "All secrets found!" bonus even if you find no secrets at all.
Barrels: 100% since there are no barrels in the level.

Also, for whatever reason, if you pick up any weapon except for the shotguns and the chainsaw, and you either run out of ammo or switch out of them, you become unable to switch back, even if you have ammo for them. Their slot numbers don't show up as lit on the status bar, either. WTF?

There's one thing I forgot to mention. I haven't had a chance to play Scoredoom since 2.6 ended, but I doubt this has been changed since I've seen it in quite few versions now unchanged.

What would happen is I would keep getting killed by these red wraiths that suddenly appear out of nowhere (can walk through walls) and home in on you like an enemy would. They are also unshootable as well though. So - chase you like an enemy, can't be blocked by walls, and unshootable? Put those all together and how can you defend yourself against that?

I finally figured out they were being spawned by the Phantom one of the last times I played. This was also the worst experience I've ever had with them. I think there were like six after me. They followed me everywhere I went. All I could do to keep from getting killed was run like crazy. I turned the chain gun on them but of course it didn't effect them now matter how long I did that. Finally I died after a while, having no chance because they apparently don't even have a timer on them to prevent them from endlessly mauling you wherever you go.

Anyway, either something has to be changed about those red wraiths shot by the Phantom, or maybe they should just go away period. The Phantom seems like a fine enemy otherwise, but not with those cheap things to go with it.

sector666 said:

There's one thing I forgot to mention. I haven't had a chance to play Scoredoom since 2.6 ended, but I doubt this has been changed since I've seen it in quite few versions now unchanged.

What would happen is I would keep getting killed by these red wraiths that suddenly appear out of nowhere (can walk through walls) and home in on you like an enemy would. They are also unshootable as well though. So - chase you like an enemy, can't be blocked by walls, and unshootable? Put those all together and how can you defend yourself against that?

I finally figured out they were being spawned by the Phantom one of the last times I played. This was also the worst experience I've ever had with them. I think there were like six after me. They followed me everywhere I went. All I could do to keep from getting killed was run like crazy. I turned the chain gun on them but of course it didn't effect them now matter how long I did that. Finally I died after a while, having no chance because they apparently don't even have a timer on them to prevent them from endlessly mauling you wherever you go.

Anyway, either something has to be changed about those red wraiths shot by the Phantom, or maybe they should just go away period. The Phantom seems like a fine enemy otherwise, but not with those cheap things to go with it.

The red wraiths have been fixed, they are shootable now.

2.8v2 is out now. Loads of enhancements. Boss Rushes are better (unspawnable bosses teleport 'home'), bonus points for getting 100% monsters, items, secrets & barrels ;-)
Bugs quashed.

One question: Would disabling the auto-seek on the BFG's alt-fire disable my chances of posting high scores on the leaderboard? I find it irritating (as from a few instances of me dying throughout my run in Scythe from nuking myself unintentionally) that when I'm aiming near (above or below) a group of enemies, the nuke missile ends up flying towards one particular enemy instead.

gun_psycho said:

One question: Would disabling the auto-seek on the BFG's alt-fire disable my chances of posting high scores on the leaderboard? I find it irritating (as from a few instances of me dying throughout my run in Scythe from nuking myself unintentionally) that when I'm aiming near (above or below) a group of enemies, the nuke missile ends up flying towards one particular enemy instead.

I believe it would. Try it and see if you can access the hi-score server. How were you going to disable it?

I'm going to release a minor patch sometime soon, to fix a few lingering minor problems (like the 'scoredoom stats' text not positioning well on certain wads), so I may consider easing up on this restriction in that patch.

Remember how the rocket launcher's auto-aim was disabled? I kind of wonder if that's possible for the bfg's alt-fire as well.

That aside, I finished up Scythe again, and I'm getting ready to go through Scythe 2, then Alien Vendetta. (I found out that using the map command doesn't disable the high score thing, and I really don't mind... even though I'll end up starting with the pistol.)

gun_psycho said:

Remember how the rocket launcher's auto-aim was disabled? I kind of wonder if that's possible for the bfg's alt-fire as well.

Oh yep, it is.

I tried the "no autoaim" thing for the bfg, and it disabled the high scores thing because it was "unsupported". Oh well...

Anyways, a little update on my progress through Scythe II, I got past both secret levels. (I used the Map command to head to map32, even though I knew I'd lose all my weapons once the map started.)

gun_psycho said:

I tried the "no autoaim" thing for the bfg, and it disabled the high scores thing because it was "unsupported". Oh well...

Anyways, a little update on my progress through Scythe II, I got past both secret levels. (I used the Map command to head to map32, even though I knew I'd lose all my weapons once the map started.)

Congrats on making both secret levels, heard it is tough to complete both.
I added your alt-fire change to the bfg-nuke, it really makes a lot of sense. There are some other changes too, like the scientist zombies being solid now (cant remember why they werent), and the 'scoredoom stats' text displays properly for all intermissions.

One thing I'm going to add (which can be turned off for co-op/local play), is having monsters have no infighting, or inter-damage. This makes complete sense (*hallelujah*) since after playing a lot of levels within Hell Revealed, infighting becomes the norm I notice.

When monster variety is increased, the likelihood of infighting raises as well. You can avoid that by making monster families. It avoids having to remove it entirely.

Gez said:

When monster variety is increased, the likelihood of infighting raises as well. You can avoid that by making monster families. It avoids having to remove it entirely.

Are talking about 'species'? If so, I don't think my version of gzdoom supports that. It sort of makes sense to have no-infighting when you are scoring, but doom itself is random (plasma rifle damage etc...) so hmmn...

As a separate property, it's relatively recent. But it existed before as an implied property, through simple inheritance.

Alternatively, it would also be easy to add a random check in AActor::OkayToSwitchTarget(). Like set it to return false in 50% or 75% of cases, before going through the circumstance-specific checks. Infighting becomes rarer, but isn't suppressed altogether.

Gez said:

As a separate property, it's relatively recent. But it existed before as an implied property, through simple inheritance.

Alternatively, it would also be easy to add a random check in AActor::OkayToSwitchTarget(). Like set it to return false in 50% or 75% of cases, before going through the circumstance-specific checks. Infighting becomes rarer, but isn't suppressed altogether.

Noted.

Yeah, I really wouldn't want to see infighting go away entirely. I'm not sure which method I prefer. With inheritance, some of the replacements look and behave entirely different from what they replace, so simply having all imp replacements inherit from DoomImp would be confusing in some cases. I don't like the lowered probability of infighting, only because it would throw off the gameplay when playing without the addon pack.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, I really wouldn't want to see infighting go away entirely. I'm not sure which method I prefer. With inheritance, some of the replacements look and behave entirely different from what they replace, so simply having all imp replacements inherit from DoomImp would be confusing in some cases. I don't like the lowered probability of infighting, only because it would throw off the gameplay when playing without the addon pack.

OK, then I will keep infighting in, as is. There will be a console var to disable infighting completely, but the hi score server will not support it.

Will there be anything else new asides for disabling the bfg alt-fire's auto-aim and making the scientist zombies solid before the new update will be released?

Btw, I'm five maps away from finishing up Scythe 2 (I'm on map26) before I take on Alien Vendetta once again.

The 'Scoredoom Stats' text is now positioned properly for all wads like Icarus. I also threw in Vader's new FleshSpawn critter from the beastiary, since the add-on pack was being updated anyway.

Cool, I can't wait to see the fleshspawn in action.

Anyways, while testing the armory's shotguns against a few of the addon pack bosses and enemies, I found that the pump-action and the sawed-off to be my favorite two shotguns. (I was getting a little tired of the original sg and ssg at that point)

Edit: Another reason I favored the pump-action shotgun and the sawed-off shotguns over the normal shotgun and ssg is that most of the megawads I played gave me more shotgun ammo than I ever needed in some parts, considering I don't use either the sg and ssg all that often other than getting kill chains on anything as strong as demon-class enemies when I'm using the addon pack.

Oh yeah, the other change is that the terrorsphere's duration has been cut down by more than 1/2. It was a little too powerful.
The patch should be up this evening, or by tomorrow evening. You will need to download the patched add-on pack as well.

I don't mind the terrorsphere being toned down, since it makes certain enemies become invincible more often (*cough* stupid tornado demons *cough*)

I played around with the 10x versions of the two shotguns today (70 and 210 pellets for the sg and ssg respectively), and found that they help immensely in the maps with the ridiculously high monster counts, especially with the damage modifiers.

gun_psycho said:

I don't mind the terrorsphere being toned down, since it makes certain enemies become invincible more often (*cough* stupid tornado demons *cough*)

hehe. You've been in the wars, so Im glad this will make you happier ;-)

Patched version is out, grab from usual: http://scoredoom.com
Most notably:
*'ScoreDoom Stats' message is fixed for all pwads.
*BFG mini-nuke altfire does not target, makes sense for intense wads like Hell Revealed.
*The ability to run a no-infighting mode (no infighting & no damage from) on the hi-score server (still need to release the latest hi-score server files).
addon-pack:
*Terrorsphere duration toned down
*scientist zombies no longer non-solid

EDIT: another 'minor' patch,

Updated the .exe once again to properly enhance the no-infighting mode, so I can eventually support it properly on the hi-score server, as well as on the client (trace attacks were getting through etc...
;-)
This mode will be more competitive I think, since even though there is still inherent randomness in the game, like the player weapon-damage randomness (plasmaball),that randomness will balance out over time, whereas removing infighting & infighting damage takes away the points decision from the random-like AI.

The next step would be to remove all randomness from the game, and I might as well code my own client-server base while I'm at it... not going to happen.

My current journey through Alien Vendetta so far: I got past Map11 and man was its layout confusing. (I dread doing this level whenever I play this megawad.)

That aside, I haven't found any new bugs yet.

gun_psycho said:

My current journey through Alien Vendetta so far: I got past Map11 and man was its layout confusing. (I dread doing this level whenever I play this megawad.)

That aside, I haven't found any new bugs yet.

Cool. I updated the .exe twice on the weekend to add some final touches to the HUD for the new no-infighting mode, as well as a couple of bug fixes for the boss-rush and the HUD.

There are two things I discovered so far that I neglected to mention:

1. Why does the Hell Lord sound like a doom64/psxdoom hell knight when he dies?

2. I noted that the obliterator (cyberbaron recolor) is missing from the boss rush.