Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okuplok

Speed of Doom demos [-complevel 9]

So it's right before dinner here and I decided to try a map 14 UV-Max recording.

Surprisingly, I manage to exit on my first attempt, getting a time of 7:40. Very improvable. Strategy could be fine tuned, mistakes lessened, and less time could be spent looking for stragglers at the end.

6:xx oughta be possible here.

sd14-740.zip

Nice work! I'm amazed you guys can remember where to go in some of these levels, they're more complex than a DNA molecule! :)

Looking good.

After a couple hours on the recording front, I improved my map 14 UV-Max by 2 whole minutes, making the new time 5:40. Extremely happy with how this one turned out. Very few mistakes made too. Gonna call this one optimal for me unless better routes are discovered.

sd14-540.zip

Did a UV-Max for map 16, clocking in with a time of 3:10. I would have liked to push this lower, perhaps to a low 3:xx, but I'm having a very hard time with that right now. Much luck is needed for that it seems.

sd16-310.zip

Nice! :-)

Didn't want to not contribute anything so here's a TAS UV speed run of Map13 (36 seconds). My first attempt trying out a TAS demo, and it's quite fun to do. This run could maybe have a couple of seconds less for optimal timing, but I'm happy with what I've done anyway. This route should be possible without TAS but needs heck of a lot of practice methinks!

EDIT: Also note that the springtrap floors at the blue key side unfortunately doesn't rise up as it is supposed to, but it doesn't break the route much. Just less of a challenge.

sd13-036.zip

I've just about had it with the jump in map 23 >.< newbie speedrunner looking for tips ...

5 is a placeholder, 8 was pretty decent to base things off of until 12 or so, 9 is probably the funniest, and then 11 and 13 sucked -.-

I'll outline my route so far if it makes things clearer;
-grab start items, dodging around the imp for cells.
-get to ssg
-dodge hks when heading back
-set off rev line on the right edge when coming back, then slip through the gap in the left
-run to the right of the barons and jump (the part I fail the mot at)
- clear the cave and the path to the switch
-snag bfg, dealing with the arch-vile if necessary
-clear the stairs and the little hk room
-bfg shottys left then right (using shotty would be slightly less damaging, but the cyber in the circular tower can hit you easily if you're in the right side alcoves)
-grab plasma, then grab the yellow key
-bfg rush through the monsters and out somehow.
- clean up this side of the map ...

And that's about the farthest I've gotten. Basically the rest is cleaning up the other side, but not sure how to go about it. I've been thinking of TASing off the last bit of 8 or 16, but meh, want to get the whole map done in one go.

E: been doing this for 3-4 hours -.-

E2: attachment fixed, see post a few more down.

Hmm, the attachment doesn't work, file seems to be 'unknown' for some reason; probably corrupt.

ArmouredBlood said:
Well I just opened it ... dunno what's up.

The space in the file name is the problem. I got it, but as sodf23best, without an extension, and I could unpack it with 7-Zip. I guess some browsers won't download unidentified files, at least under certain security settings. Some, like Firefox, will ask you what to do with the file.

myk said:

The space in the file name is the problem. I got it, but as sodf23best, without an extension, and I could unpack it with 7-Zip. I guess some browsers won't download unidentified files, at least under certain security settings. Some, like Firefox, will ask you what to do with the file.

Ah ok, didn't realize I put a space in there. Uploading a space-less zip if anyone's still interested that didn't get it before ... (had to delete the other, for some odd reason it thought it was the same file even with/out the space -.-).

sodf23bestattempts.zip

great demo ggg, but it seems that you missed 3 Archviles at the very end (you can even hear voice one of them just before you exit)

ok, i don't record max runs, because they're too complex for me, but i have to ask... if this is a boom wad, shouldn't be using smart hud/killcount allowed? or even recommended? i mean, you can't play this wad in vanilla and boom already introduced these features so playing without them is just a self-imposed hindrance. there's no advantage over anybody except people who refuse to press + twice, there's no strict c-n policy. i'd expect hud to be a standard in boom slaughtermap demos.

Map 27 UV-Max in 14:20. Pretty average demo (Revs hated me going for the AV jump to two secrets), but this is the only exit I've managed to get after 3-4 hrs of attempts since this morning and last evening. Very hard map this one is.

It's got some good music though, that's for sure.

sd271420.zip

Well, I sure feel like a dummy :P. Don't know why I didn't think of trying to do that.

That'll make it much easier.

And...improved to a much better 12:05. I managed to horribly screw up the ending though. Damnation!

I'm gonna give it a rest for today and try again tomorrow. Hoping to get another 30 seconds to a minute knocked off. Should be easily possible.

sd271205.zip

When I said I'd improve it tomorrow, I wasn't expecting to get that as dinner was almost done cooking tonight.

Dinner waited for me as I got another exit. The time on this run is a much more satisfying and amusing 11:11. Four snake eyes FTW :P?

Still some hangups/slipups. You wonder why I hate those revs? Watch as I go for the mega and invul secrets and you'll likely see why.

A couple oh hell close calls too.

sd271111.zip

Improved on Phml's UV-Max for the very awesome map 28, "Twilight Massacre". Clocked in with a time of 13:44.

My strategy is a bit different than in Phml's run. Releasing everything as quickly as possible makes for some pretty chaotic fun and a huge army of lost souls.

Still could go faster I'd say. A run in the 12 minute range oughta be possible.

sd281344.zip